TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Front Mount Intercooler (& Piping)  (Read 4418 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Front Mount Intercooler (& Piping)
« on: March 14, 2021, 01:31:47 PM »

Does anyone know of a FMIC that's fairly close to a direct bolt-in fit for our XR'2? I don't mind if it's the same size as the factory one, although obviously I'd prefer if it was longer. I'm deleting my air conditioning, so the compressor won't be up front taking up prime real estate anymore. I'm looking for something that'll keep the charge air temperatures down around factory levels, even after increasing the boost up to around 16ish psi. Ideally it'll be nice and hidden under the front bumper skin. I don't really like the whole "intercooler hanging out from the bottom of my bumper" look that I've seen a lot of Honda owner's especially doing. Discretion, and performance...that's the goal here.

Bonus points if it comes with, or if you can link me to, some piping that'll work with it. These factory turbo pipes are old and hard, and a little sad looking. Thanks, fellow Capri owners.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Front Mount Intercooler (& Piping)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 11:13:06 PM »

The Ford Probe GT (first gen) intercooler is supposed to be nearly a direct fit, but longer.

Your best bet is to eliminate all the stock piping and go with a nice front mount, they tuck very nicely under the stock bumper, definitely not Honda style
The stock piping, particularly the pre-turbo inlet J pipe, is astoundingly restrictive. I've used Home Depot rubber plumbing adapters to eliminate the pipe, there's some pics somewhere here or on my website. Basically anything you can do is an improvement.

There's no piping kits available. I did my FMIC with an eBay intercooler + universal piping kit. (if you're not using sewer fittings, the turbo inlet is a special size, I ordered appropriately sized pieces from siliconeintakes.com) I replaced my stock crossover pipe with exhaust pipe (steel) because that is all I was able to weld at the time. Pretty sure there's pics of that here too. Made a huge difference over the stock stuff.

(found some FMIC pics)

I don't recall the size of the intercooler, it's somewhere on the forum here.
Either way you'll be DIY'ing it, it's not difficult, just time consuming. Maybe that would be a nice summer thing for a visit to my shop, I can TIG aluminum now
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 08:14:14 AM »

Super nice installation. Didn't know you had a website, what is it? How much outside work do you do in your shop?
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 09:25:03 AM »

Definitely something I'll be playing with. Man, I wish I could TIG weld. My wife always makes fun of my welds, but she took like 3 years of welding classes. I might very well take you up on that offer in a few months here Rocket, thanks.

EShepherd

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 11:06:41 AM »

Do you think upgrading the radiator fans as well when I replace the factory intercooler would give me a noticeable decrease in charge air temperatures? I'm looking to efficiently increase my boost level to around 16psi, after breaking in the new(ly rebuilt) engine, at factory boost levels, of course.

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 01:40:18 AM »

Here is a link to the intercooler I have fitted. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-All-Aluminum-Intercooler-550x140x70mm-2-Delta-Fin-Same-Side-Outs/353101364623?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
then from the intercooler outlet side you need:I used the top outlet on the intercooler
2 x 51mm 90 degree elbows.
1 x 45 degree x 51mm al pipe,
1 x 75 degree x 51mm al pipe.
I used a 51mm a flexi silicon joiner to connect these two together.
1 x 63 x 25mm silicon "T". This connects directly to the intake manifold. This also connects the pipe on the LHS of the original.
1 x 63mm x 25 mm al "T". (I connected my blow off valve to this).
1 x 51 to 63 silicon reducer. This connects the two sizes of pipe.
Some cutting of pipe is required to get it to fit.
From the intercooler inlet side you need;
1 x 180 degree x 51 mm al pipe.
1 x 45 degree x 51 mm pipe.
1 x 51mm x 90 degree silicon elbow.
1 x 51mm to 45 mm silicon reducer
enough pipe clamps to clamp it all together.

If you send me a PM with your email I can show you how it all fits together.

hope it all helps

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 07:44:44 AM »

Nice setup. I like that intercooler.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 10:16:45 AM »

Here is a link to the intercooler I have fitted. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-All-Aluminum-Intercooler-550x140x70mm-2-Delta-Fin-Same-Side-Outs/353101364623?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
then from the intercooler outlet side you need:I used the top outlet on the intercooler
2 x 51mm 90 degree elbows.
1 x 45 degree x 51mm al pipe,
1 x 75 degree x 51mm al pipe.
I used a 51mm a flexi silicon joiner to connect these two together.
1 x 63 x 25mm silicon "T". This connects directly to the intake manifold. This also connects the pipe on the LHS of the original.
1 x 63mm x 25 mm al "T". (I connected my blow off valve to this).
1 x 51 to 63 silicon reducer. This connects the two sizes of pipe.
Some cutting of pipe is required to get it to fit.
From the intercooler inlet side you need;
1 x 180 degree x 51 mm al pipe.
1 x 45 degree x 51 mm pipe.
1 x 51mm x 90 degree silicon elbow.
1 x 51mm to 45 mm silicon reducer
enough pipe clamps to clamp it all together.

If you send me a PM with your email I can show you how it all fits together.

hope it all helps

Thanks, this is incredibly useful information. I'll fire off a pm to you shortly. Let me ask, how has your charge air temperature changed after installing this FMIC? I was looking for something larger, but if one this size gets the job done, then I suppose it'll work for my needs.

Are you still using the factory radiator fans with it, or did you upgrade those as well?