TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Anyone Selling Some Base Model, Automatic Capri Pistons?  (Read 2078 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Anyone Selling Some Base Model, Automatic Capri Pistons?
« on: March 14, 2021, 10:14:51 AM »

So rumor has it that the automatic non-turbo Capri's have a higher compression ratio of 9.4:1. Has anyone got a spare set of pistons sitting around for one of them? I don't even need the rods, I've heard the turbo model has stronger rods. The non-turbo pistons should have a more shallow dish in the top than the turbo ones. If you've got a set I can buy, please let me know on here.

That way, I can plan on running a flex-fuel sensor and E85. ;D

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Anyone Selling Some Base Model, Automatic Capri Pistons?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 09:22:04 AM »

I was interested in your question and did a little research. Of course N/A pistons are different than turbo pistons with a lower CR bit couldn't find any reference for a special piston for autos. There are a large variety of pistons available for the MX-5 Miata of the same year, maybe you should do some research there to see what you can fine.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 10:00:08 AM »

I was interested in your question and did a little research. Of course N/A pistons are different than turbo pistons with a lower CR bit couldn't find any reference for a special piston for autos. There are a large variety of pistons available for the MX-5 Miata of the same year, maybe you should do some research there to see what you can fine.

Yeah, I've done a bit of research. I don't really want to drop the cash for some brand new oem pistons. My hope is that someone rebuilt their engine, replaced their factory pistons, and has them collecting dust in a box in their garage. Those are the pistons I want lol. Nice and cheap, and just a little bump to the compression ratio.

I don't want to have to run a standalone and a flex fuel sensor, but if a higher compression piston set falls into my lap while I have my engine apart, so be it. :P

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 10:46:47 PM »

Auto N/A 9.0:1
Manual N/A 9.4:1

Rods are identical between n/a and turbo. The only B6 that got bigger rods was the 88/89 323 GTX, the 88/89 GT didn't even get them. And the beefy rods are superseded by the regular rods via Mazda (if they needed to be replaced) There's been no proof they are stronger, just bigger. There should be some affordable aftermarket rods out there now, for a long time there were no good/affordable options

(Quick look on eBay shows chinese made h-beam rods as cheap as $250, Carrillo rods are still $1200+)

This is where sharing parts in common with the Miata is nice, the internals are the same and you have options for aftermarket stuff.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"