TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: New with questions  (Read 4755 times)

Cat

• 91 XR2, 03 Pontiac Vibe, 14 Honda CR-Z
New with questions
« on: March 01, 2021, 10:51:11 PM »

I just picked up a 91 XR2 a month ago from the original owner with 31,000 miles in excellent condition.  There are a few minor problems I am slowly working on, but it has been hard to do anything during the past month with all of the bad weather.

The cooling fan seems to be running constantly, even from a cold start.  My first guess is that the cooling fan relay needs to be replaced, but I haven't even found it yet.  Can anyone tell me where it is?  I am assuming that if I unplug it and the fans shuts off, the relay is bad.  Does that sound reasonable?

The cruise control was not working on my 630 mile trip home when I picked it up.  I checked the fuses and didn't find any problem there, so I don't know what to check next.

My fog lamps are also not working.  It looked to me like the fuse was blown, but I think the new fuse I replaced it with blew immediately when I tried to turn on the fog lamps, so any idea there?  Maybe another relay?

The brake fluid was probably original and had never been flushed, so the front calipers were completely gummed up.  I ordered a new pair for the front and will have them put on shortly.  The rears were fine.

My trip back was fun and I found it to be a nice riding road car.  Other than the heater being pretty weak, it was a nice trip for getting used to the new car.  I am looking forward to some warmer weather so I can take the hardtop off and start doing some detailing. 

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: New with questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 08:45:13 AM »

Well, greetings and welcome to the group. These are the most fun cars I've ever seen the cheap entry fee. So to you repair list.

The sensor for it is located on the thermostat housing. If you unplug it or it fails the fan will run constantly. They are readily available.

For the cruise control, check your brake and clutch pedals. If there is a hole in the arm that the pin on the switch goes into, that is your problem. They are available from Mazda.

Sounds like a short in your fog lights. To complicated to go into with this list.

Not changing brake fluid is a big problem on these cars, I've had to replace calipers on otherwise well maintained cars because of it. The rears are especially difficult to find. I would suggest changing the brake hoses to each caliper while you are doing this and inspect the metal brake lines.

The heater was weak when new and after all these years, the foam seals inside have disintegrated and leak air all thru the system. It isn't uncommon for folks to remove it and replace the foam seals but it's a big job.

I can empathize with your road trip. My second car came from Long Island, NY and I drove it thru NYC to NC. Lots of fun but a little stressful in the middle of the night in a car I know nothing about.
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 10:01:26 AM »

Welcome to the group.  Greywolf gave you the best advice for now.  Lots of history trail information available on this site, use the search feature vigorously.
You will find the common problems and solutions quickly.  These cars are quirky at this age to say the least, so be patient, work one problem at a time and have fun with it. 
John

Cat

• 91 XR2, 03 Pontiac Vibe, 14 Honda CR-Z
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 12:57:08 AM »

Thanks, Jack and John.  My brakes should be in good shape now with new front calipers, hoses, and pads. A new temperature sensor fixed the problem with the fan running constantly, so it seems to working normally now.  I still need to look at the cruise control and fog lamp problems.  Something else I found is the running lights on the front that share their housing with the turn signal bulbs.  One was out when I got the car and I went to replace the bulb and found there wasn't one in there.  It looks like the electrical contacts in the socket broke out.  When I checked the other side that was working, the contacts broke on that one, so both running lights are out now.  Not a big deal, but it would be nice to have everything working as new.  Are those lights a common problem?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 01:02:19 PM »

There are usually guys in the forum and on FB selling parts you'll have to check out those sources.
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 02:51:40 PM »

broken contacts in the parking light sockets are normal for our cars.  If you have a dremel tool and some patience, it is fairly easy to cut the old socket off and put on a new replacement socket.  They are plentiful on ebay and amazon.  Most have a 2 or 3 locking tabs.  You fashion cutouts in the old light base to insert the locking tabs.  I usually seal it with some silicone when done.

John