TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Pulled motor to do rings and head gasket, and got super carried away! new pics!  (Read 17244 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2

Interested to hear about this, I thought our cars batch fired the injectors.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell

Interested to hear about this, I thought our cars batch fired the injectors.

That's an excellent point. I thought injectors 1 and 4 fire together, and 2 and 3 fire together. How'd you fit a fifth injector pulse in there? Is it just firing every time? Or only with the outer 2 cylinders? I guess if you are just trying to richen up the mixture to try and prevent melting everything with the gobs of air you're stuffing in there, you'd be firing the magic fifth injector every time?

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

I don't have it pulsing it comes on static I have it wired directly to the battery and just turns on at 20psi, at 20spi the gt3076r is moving a huge amount of air and the injector just pumps the fuel in with no pulse

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

No I had mine wired to the boost cut switch to come on at 100% duty cycle and yes I got away with it for a while, at least it seemed that way until I later pulled apart the motor to see the pistons. I learned about it from some old school turbo dodge website where they were using cold start injectors (a thing that briefly appeared in the 80s I think)

I decided to use a regular injector because that's what I had laying around.

Yes the stock injectors are batch fired.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

Aww man thats disappointing I should stop what I'm doing! I had big plans for the dodgy injector set up! I was gonna swap out the 4 380cc injectors for 550cc and put e85 in it and put one of the 380s as the 5th injector instead of the 300cc one I'm using now. E85 needs 30-50%more fuel so I figure is should still run about how it was.

Standalone it is! But need a decent clutch first!

BTW how did you trigger it at 100% duty cycle? Just curious? Thanks for the insight

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

It is super sketchy with the 5th injector too, I really worry about the fuel line popping off the injector and spraying fuel everywhere as it dosent have a barb on it, I put a cable tie around the clamp pulling it towards the injector too but still makes me stress. I was also worried about the injector blowing out of the silicone t coupler but I guess it would loose pressure instantly and the pressure switch would turn it off. But yea dodgy as man not the goods. I also lost my key and am using a Screwdrier to start the car  and if fuel did start leaking its not as easy as just turning off the key as I need to find the Screwdriver am fiddle around with the ignition. It's an accident waiting to happen, I'll take it out and turn the boost down until standalone ecu is in my possession...

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell

Yeah that sounds super sketchy. It can't be all that hard to get a key made, though. If you put a fuel pressure gauge in the cabin, at least you'd be able to see if that hose breaks free from the driver's seat.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

I had even thought of mounting a camera looking at the injector with a screen on the dash so I can see it at all times. I've also considered mounting a timing light and a camera on it so I can sus out exactly what the timing does at super high boost. I know there are weights that expand outwards as rpm increases, I think they advance the timing and when vacuum is applied it advances the timing and boost retards it. I think anyways but I really would like to record it whilst driving and see what happens in real time not just hope it's doing what it should be doing! I can probably get the rpm on the digital timing light in the shot too. If I can get a good grasp of exactly whats going on with the timing, I'm sure there are ways of tweaking it to my advantage. My dodgyness knows no bounds! Still all this could be achieved with a standalone + so much more

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

As for the key I'm gonna get a new ignition barrel and key, it's $50. I lost the key 2 days after finishing the 8 month build, I was so pissed I searched my house top to bottom for 8 hours, then went outside in a rage with a tyre leaver at 2am and snapped the end off the ignition barrel. It's stuffed. It's scary how easy it was to do as well. It had some hardend seel security cap on the end couldn't get a Screwdrier in but it made it so easy to leaver off it and bust it off. Makes me think we should all be a bit worried for our baby's safety!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

If you check out the factory service manual at tech-capri there's a diagram of the timing advance for the XR2 distributor so you can get an idea of what it's supposed to be doing.

www.techcapri.com

Yes with a standalone ECU and proper hardware you can have programmable ignition timing and ditch the factory stuff.

And by 100% duty cycle I mean the injector is straight up powered on by the switch, no pulsing or anything like that.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

Thanks for that man, I dono why I thought you had the 5th injector triggered off the 4th, must have been something I read somewhere else, I will definitely stop what I'm doing and take it out, I only gave it a few pulls like that so I hope I haven't stuffed anything

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

There is some good info on there man thanks for that, I've never seen that site before! I've read heaps on this site and the laser 323 site, I dono how I haven't found that before!

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

Here is a video of it doing a 4th gear pull, I've taken out all the dodgy injector stuff and turned the boost down to 20ish psi. The clutch holds better at this power but still slips a little. It slipped alot at 30psi!

https://youtu.be/CtEr1i5g_zk

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

Hi can anyone chime in on this, I don't know if my gear ratios are different from what's listed in the link below showing xr2 gear ratios, looking at my dash recordings I'm not getting anywhere near the speeds shown on the link below. Maybe my clutch is slipping badly giving me poir speeds or is it possible I have a different box than an xr2. My car is an 89 ford capri turbo. No mention of xr2 anywhere on it. But I always thought it was the same. I dono if you guys in the us even got them in 89? I'm a bit puzzled if anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears!

http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php?topic=1625.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5