General > Build Threads

Pulled motor to do rings and head gasket, and got super carried away! new pics!

<< < (14/15) > >>

Aus Capri:
That's what I was hoping to achieve with the 560cc injectors but it was way to rich at low rpm on straight petrol, runs ok on e85 but works out to only support roughly the same amount of power as the 360cc injectors, due to the lower energy content of e85

EShepherd:
What if you installed a fuel pressure regulator that is boost referenced? That way you could increase the pressure going to the injectors as the amount of boost increases? I've never tried using one on a car with a factory computer that I wasn't able to tune, but it might be a decent enough band-aid solution? They are significantly cheaper, and way easier to install, than a full stand-alone.

Edit:
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Hypertune-Adjustable-Pressure-Regulator-Reference/dp/B08MZRT2K5/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3I9L2OK45XWCL&dchild=1&keywords=boost%2Breference%2Bfuel%2Bpressure%2Bregulator&qid=1621603756&sprefix=boost%2Breferenced%2Bfuel%2Bpre%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-8&th=1

It's got a vacuum port that you can hook up to a boost source, so for every psi of boost it sees, it raises fuel pressure by 1 psi. It's definitely not an elegant solution, but it'll at least make you LESS lean at high boost.

Aus Capri:
I'm pretty sure the sock fuel regulator will raise 1-1 already, if I used a FMU like a vortec with a higher rise rate than 1 to 1 maybe, you can change the springs in them and adjust the rise rate up to 12pounds of fuel for every 1 pound of boost. OBX sells a cheaper version too

Rocketman:
dude, you've got a nice motor, do the right thing

Aus Capri:
Hi guys here's what I've been up to, I know rocketman told me to do this properly but I am not confident installing a standalone ecu and I really can't afford to pay someone to install one and tune it so I have proceded to try and find a work around for turning up the boost.

I have removed the e85 and have switched the fuel back to  premium petrol. I got an adjustable FMU which can adjust the base pressure and has a bleeder valve on the top which adjusts the rise rate.

Here's a link to the FMU,
 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-100-PSI-Billet-adjustable-FMU-Blue-/184870547891?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

The way the rise rate is affected is if the bleeder valve fully open its a  1-1 rise rate. Fully closed it is a 14-1 rise rate. I have modified the way the FMU bleeds air off by changing it to have 2 bleeder valves and have installed solinoid valve  triggered by a pressure switch to isolate one of them after 20psi. This allows different rise rates to be used at different boost levels. I still have the 560cc injectors in the car and  now a base pressure of 25psi, it has a rise rate of  around 1—1 up to 20psi which brings the fuel pressure up to about 50psi. As the boost triggers the pressure switch to isolate one of the bleed screws at just after 20psi of boost, the rise rate changes and the fuel pressure jumps up to around 70psi at 21psi and then up to around 85psi fuel pressure at 30psi of boost.

You may have to read that a few times to get your head around it! I'll post a vid demonstrating how it works tomorrow.

The stock fuel pressure regulator has a rise rate of 1—1 and a base fuel pressure of around 40psi. When I apply 30psi of boost to the stock pressure reg the fuel pressure jumped to 70psi.

Installing this fmu has allowed me to run the bigger injectors on petrol with out bogging  and spluttering at low rpm by lowering the base pressure to 25psi, and to fully take advantage of the 560cc injectors in the higher rpm. It basically makes the car run how it did on 360cc injectors up to 20psi of boost then after 20psi of boost they become the bigger 560cc injectors  and delivering a slightly higher than usual fuel pressure! 

It's still in the testing stages and I haven't had time test it more than once, but it seems to be working. I'll take some vids to show you all how it works tomorrow and try get some vids of driving  soon too! Hope your all good great to see Shepherds build, coming along!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version