General > Build Threads

Pulled motor to do rings and head gasket, and got super carried away! new pics!

<< < (3/15) > >>

Aus Capri:
It's all good man I'm happy to talk about it, my wife's sick of hearing me go on about it haha 😂. I've only had it up and running for a few weeks and I have a 2 year old so I havnt had much time to get out in it,  here in Australia they are super strict on what they will let go down the strip, they definitely won't like the dodgy fifth injector! They do roll racing here in Sydney, but the rules state convertibles need a roll cage. Keen to try! The quarter mile drags rules says convertibles can run without cage if under 12.5 second pass, but I will have to get the car up to scratch on a standalone ecu tuned properly with only 4 injectors 😂 before they will let me in the door.

I'll get some video posted somewhere in the next few weeks and I will post a link

Are you knee dep in snow at the moment?

Aus Capri:
The turbo outlet is 3" but is flared out to 4" straight away for the 90 deg turn in the down pipe. I read the bigger pipe straight away after the turbo helps spool by having less pressure post turbine, after the 4" 90 deg turn its 3 inch all the way back  with 3 resonators/ muffler things running up the centre of the car and dumped towards the ground just before the rear wheel, have a look at the pic, its loud as hell I'm gonna get my buddy who has an exhaust shop to get it up over the rear axle and put something on the end to shut it up. I live on a mountain and it's impossible to drive it up the hill quietly I also only ever have time in the evening to drive it so my neighbours must love me right now, hopefully can get a proper muffler on it soon!

EShepherd:
Oh I feel your pain, I have a 14 month old son and a wife who are also quite tired of listening to me drone on about my plans for the car. Should've seen the wifey's face when I told her I wanted to spend $120 on studs to attach the head to the block slightly better than what I already have. Hah. *sobs*

Anyways, bummer about how strict they are. I've definitely had some, shall we say 'questionable', cars down the tracks here in the States. But yeah, there's still about two feet of snow sitting on the ground here in New York, so zero chance of me being able to push my car back to the front yard. Even if I put the engine back together today, I'll probably have to wait another month before the weather allows me to get the car close enough to the engine to actually put them back together. Ah well.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing with my exhaust. There's minimal chance of being able to reuse the factory exhaust, it's in terrible shape. It's also tiny. The car is over 25 years old now, so I can get away without a catalytic converter. Technically, it's illegal to remove one if it came with one, but hey. I'm thinking I'll do 2.5" to 3" exhaust, with a little resonator around where the factory cat lived, and then a muffler down towards the rear axle. Still debating between having it dump before the axle, bending it and doing a side exhaust, or getting a muffler with two outputs and having a fake double exhaust, with one tip on each side of the rear. I do like the look of the latter, so that's probably how I'll end up doing it.

You know, once I have the thing running. As of now, open headers is cool. Just gonna be annoying listening to it for that first start up, waiting 20 minutes for the thermostat to open up. I'm  SO sure the neighbors will appreciate it.

Rocketman:
Oh man! That dodgy 5th injector! I did that on my first capri many years ago, I cannot recommend it, the fuel does not get delivered evenly to the cylinders with our intake manifold design. It all goes to the outside cylinders - be very careful with that. Your AFRs will still read okay even though the two inside cylinders might be on the verge of melting.
When I eventually tore down the engine I was running the 5th injector setup on my two inside cylinders were aggressively pitted from detonation, the outside two were fine.

Looks like you're in the full standalone ECU territory with your setup, yes I could chip your ECU for a higher rev limit but with a turbo of that size and the power you could make the stock electronics and sensors are nothing but a restriction.

Can't believe you got that turbo to fit there! I've been meaning to pick up a B16 manifold for modifications but time is not on my side at the moment :) Good to hear the spacing is close enough to work. I have an N/A honda header kicking around my shop and the port spacing is indeed real close but the N/A header outlet is totally wrong for our engine/oil plan.

Great pics, lovely car - keep posting progress please!

Aus Capri:
Hi Matt thanks for the advise about the dodgy injector! Just curious I remember reading about your injector, did you use one of the injector signal wires to pulse the injector? I dono if I'm remembering correctly but from memory you used no 4 injector wires to pulse it and the boost cut switch to trigger it? Am I correct?

Was just wondering if that may be why you were running lean on 2 and 3 if it was only pulsing in time with number 4? I may be remembering wrong.

I have mine set to turn on static wired directly to the battery and using a pressure switch triggering it at 20psi.

I should really go aftermarket ecu but my funds are not in good shape at the moment

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version