TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Pulled motor to do rings and head gasket, and got super carried away! new pics!  (Read 17238 times)

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

1mm overbore to 79mm with forged Wiseco 8.6 compression ratio Pistons,

Cometic multilayer Stainless steel head gasket

Arp head Studs

Maxspeeding forged rods (meant to be good for 200hp per rod)

King race bearings main and rods

Polished crank journals

second hand head resurfaced and serviced

rotating assembly, assembled and balanced by Dominator engines Sydney

single ceramic ball bearing / Journal bearing GT3076 turbo

Modified turbo b16 civic manifold with a b6t flange welded

custom 4" downpipe into 3"exhaust all the way back

external wastegate

civic 3 row half radiator = new thermo fan

ebay intercooler

and heaps more i cant think of off the top of my head

Fresh deck, bores, pistons and arp studs.

Shiny 79mm 8.6/1 Wiseco Piston (sold for lowering the compression ratio of n/a 1.6L Miatas for turbo applications)

VJ14 and GT3076 comparison

Wrapped modified b16 civic manifold

VJ14 on left GT3076 middle (obviously) and VF12 on right

Old Bores after headgasket blow out me refilling it with water to confirm headgasket failure and foolishly letting it sit for 2 weeks, i should have drained the water and ran it for a second to blow out any water and lubricate the bores with oil...

Stock exhaust vs 3inch

Mocking up exhaust

Check out how filthy the bay was

Painted engine bay

Engine coming together

Intercooler fitted

Finally finished after 9 months

I was running out of fuel at around 19psi at 5000 rpm so i couldn't help my self and i removed the blow off valve(recirulation valve) and stole its silicone t coupler and moved it up to the throttle body to use as a spot to mount an additional injector, i pissed off the idle air valve and used the port off the intercooler piping to mount the original recirulation valve and plumbed it back to the silicone t coupler before the turbo.
I mounted a pressure switch set to 20psi to activate an additional injector and it works a treat! 11.7 afr up to 25spi at 6500rpm

In that last pic its at 25psi at 6500rpm with a 11.7 AFR. Its a screenshot from a video i took whilst driving but i have spotted a problem reviewing the footage, My Brand new 6 puck clutch and pressure plate are slipping after 5000rpm aaaarrrrggghjhhh  in third gear its doing 85Kph at 4000rpm 105kph at 5000rpm and only 115 at 6500rpm! it should be up around 135 by that point, i can see in the video the tacho spikes but not much happens on the speedo after 5200rpm. Lesson of the story is, dont buy a cheap piece of crap  xtd clutch. there claims are wildly inflated of this clutches holding power its got a tiny bit more bite than stock and thats it. if you have any plans of real power gains stay the hell away from XTD clutches. the price should have been a dead give away!

A bit of history on the car I've had it for about 3 years it was $700 Aussie dollars with 8 months rego! bargain as that's not far off what 8 months rego costs! it had a blown head gasket and a misfire when i bought it and the oil looked like grey sludge!

did the head gasket and changed the leads (fixed misfire) then got addicted to boost, first just turning up boost then VJ 11 comp wheel upgrade and 380cc injectors, then a VF12 from an old legacy on 22 pounds (went pretty good at this point! I blew the head gasket and that's when i took the motor out and got carried away 9 months ago. I have a wideband 02 sensor and gauge i use to monitor the Afr's and tuning is done by a combination of tweaking the airflow meter, bigger injectors, chipped ecu with a more aggressive fuel map and now its got the big turbo an additional injector before the throttle body triggered off a pressure switch set to 20 psi. It makes 25psi by 5200rpm and still has a 11.7 afr at 6500rpm

Hope you all enjoy the thread, its been a mission but i'm so happy with it! (its absolutely mental when boost loads!)

Dave Robbo (boost addict)

rocketman, hit me up if you can raise the rev limit on a chipped stock ecu, it has a fueltronic chip in it... im keen!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:20:02 AM by Aus Capri »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Pulled motor to do rings and head gasket, and got super carried away!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 08:16:16 AM »

Nice looking car.
Jack Byrd

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 08:25:47 AM »

thanks man, it looks a bit off at the moment i had to hammer a buldge in the bonnet to make room for the top mount turbo thats an older pic up the top

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 09:23:38 AM »

Anyone out there know if there is a way to up the rev limiter on a chipped standard ecu, it's got a fueltronic chip in it... I'm looking at you rocketman.... 😂

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 01:31:16 PM »

This looks like a hell of a build. What sort of power are you aiming for? Have you got any more details on how you used a D-Series Honda exhaust manifold with the Capri? I find that fascinating. Do the exhaust runners line up with the ports, or was it more involved than that? I hate how flimsy these manifolds are.

Also, for the pictures, I upload my stuff to imgur. From there, they give you a forum code link that you can just copy and paste. In multiple sizes, even.

Good luck with your build though man, this looks awesome. Your car is super clean too, I'm jealous. I can't wait to get out of the Northeastern USA. Damn salty roads keep eating my cars.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 05:35:45 PM »

Hey Eshepherd, I guess it's making around 300ish at the moment but should be able to make around 400hp with a good tune. I have seen 1.6 miatas with 400 so I guess it's possible on our motors too, they are the same block.

As for the manifold number 1 and 4 runners line up pretty much spot on and 2 and 3 and not that far off, I just cut the civic flange between the runners leaving a bit of civic flange left on the end of each runner so I had a solid bit of steel to weld to the b6t flange to make it easy to weld. I didn't move number 2 and 3 runners to line up 100 percent with the ports on the b6t flange they were close enough I could fill the tiny gap with weld then shaped the inside of the runner with a dremal to smooth it out.

Thanks for the posting pic advice!

We are lucky here in aus the cars keep really well, my capri only has a few rust spots and that's only because used to live near the beach! In general cars keep really good here.

I'm originally from the UK and the cars there rust out real bad too

Dave Robbo
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:29:59 AM by Aus Capri »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 09:01:22 AM »

That is a crazy build.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

Hey I'm glad you got the pictures to work. This thing is absolutely insane looking. Phenomenal work there man. How bad is the lag with such a big turbo on there? Does it still handle well at speed? I'd be afraid of some crazy bump steer at those speeds with such a short wheel base. Kudos, though. Easily the coolest one of these cars I've ever seen.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

It makes about 5 psi around 3200rpm and making ok power at 5psi with the big turbo, no boost at all under 3000rpm though. It's not too bad under 3000rmp, the 8.6/1 compression ratio pistons bring the compression up to 180 so it's not to dull. It makes about 10psi by 4200rpm and then in a split second goes to the moon!

I only give it the beans in straight lines and make sure their ain't no corners coming up. I wouldn't give it full throttle around corners at high rpm that's fore sure you can morerate the throttle and give it a little boost around corners but even in a straight at high high boost, it's hard to keep it in a straight line, it's pulling all over the place.

I had it up to 32psi tonight but was hitting 12.9 afr (a bit lean for that boost) so I backed off, the clutch is useless at that power too. I'm gonna pull the motor in a few months after I save my penny's up for a decent clutch and a billet geared oil pump. Then I will see what that 32 psi actually feels like when it makes it to the wheels!

EShepherd

That sounds thrilling, and absolutely terrifying. Have you taken the thing to a drag strip? I'd LOVE to see some videos of that, or even just a picture of your run sheet. Shit, have you got any videos of it even on the street? I bet it sounds nasty. How big is that exhaust, like 3' ID? Do you have any issues with boost creep?

Sorry I keep asking you a million questions....I'm just super curious about your build. This is where I'd love to get my car in a few years times. Just with some big fat tires on the front, and a roll cage ;D

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

It's all good man I'm happy to talk about it, my wife's sick of hearing me go on about it haha 😂. I've only had it up and running for a few weeks and I have a 2 year old so I havnt had much time to get out in it,  here in Australia they are super strict on what they will let go down the strip, they definitely won't like the dodgy fifth injector! They do roll racing here in Sydney, but the rules state convertibles need a roll cage. Keen to try! The quarter mile drags rules says convertibles can run without cage if under 12.5 second pass, but I will have to get the car up to scratch on a standalone ecu tuned properly with only 4 injectors 😂 before they will let me in the door.

I'll get some video posted somewhere in the next few weeks and I will post a link

Are you knee dep in snow at the moment?

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

The turbo outlet is 3" but is flared out to 4" straight away for the 90 deg turn in the down pipe. I read the bigger pipe straight away after the turbo helps spool by having less pressure post turbine, after the 4" 90 deg turn its 3 inch all the way back  with 3 resonators/ muffler things running up the centre of the car and dumped towards the ground just before the rear wheel, have a look at the pic, its loud as hell I'm gonna get my buddy who has an exhaust shop to get it up over the rear axle and put something on the end to shut it up. I live on a mountain and it's impossible to drive it up the hill quietly I also only ever have time in the evening to drive it so my neighbours must love me right now, hopefully can get a proper muffler on it soon!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:22:53 PM by Aus Capri »

EShepherd

Oh I feel your pain, I have a 14 month old son and a wife who are also quite tired of listening to me drone on about my plans for the car. Should've seen the wifey's face when I told her I wanted to spend $120 on studs to attach the head to the block slightly better than what I already have. Hah. *sobs*

Anyways, bummer about how strict they are. I've definitely had some, shall we say 'questionable', cars down the tracks here in the States. But yeah, there's still about two feet of snow sitting on the ground here in New York, so zero chance of me being able to push my car back to the front yard. Even if I put the engine back together today, I'll probably have to wait another month before the weather allows me to get the car close enough to the engine to actually put them back together. Ah well.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing with my exhaust. There's minimal chance of being able to reuse the factory exhaust, it's in terrible shape. It's also tiny. The car is over 25 years old now, so I can get away without a catalytic converter. Technically, it's illegal to remove one if it came with one, but hey. I'm thinking I'll do 2.5" to 3" exhaust, with a little resonator around where the factory cat lived, and then a muffler down towards the rear axle. Still debating between having it dump before the axle, bending it and doing a side exhaust, or getting a muffler with two outputs and having a fake double exhaust, with one tip on each side of the rear. I do like the look of the latter, so that's probably how I'll end up doing it.

You know, once I have the thing running. As of now, open headers is cool. Just gonna be annoying listening to it for that first start up, waiting 20 minutes for the thermostat to open up. I'm  SO sure the neighbors will appreciate it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

Oh man! That dodgy 5th injector! I did that on my first capri many years ago, I cannot recommend it, the fuel does not get delivered evenly to the cylinders with our intake manifold design. It all goes to the outside cylinders - be very careful with that. Your AFRs will still read okay even though the two inside cylinders might be on the verge of melting.
When I eventually tore down the engine I was running the 5th injector setup on my two inside cylinders were aggressively pitted from detonation, the outside two were fine.

Looks like you're in the full standalone ECU territory with your setup, yes I could chip your ECU for a higher rev limit but with a turbo of that size and the power you could make the stock electronics and sensors are nothing but a restriction.

Can't believe you got that turbo to fit there! I've been meaning to pick up a B16 manifold for modifications but time is not on my side at the moment :) Good to hear the spacing is close enough to work. I have an N/A honda header kicking around my shop and the port spacing is indeed real close but the N/A header outlet is totally wrong for our engine/oil plan.

Great pics, lovely car - keep posting progress please!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo

Hi Matt thanks for the advise about the dodgy injector! Just curious I remember reading about your injector, did you use one of the injector signal wires to pulse the injector? I dono if I'm remembering correctly but from memory you used no 4 injector wires to pulse it and the boost cut switch to trigger it? Am I correct?

Was just wondering if that may be why you were running lean on 2 and 3 if it was only pulsing in time with number 4? I may be remembering wrong.

I have mine set to turn on static wired directly to the battery and using a pressure switch triggering it at 20psi.

I should really go aftermarket ecu but my funds are not in good shape at the moment
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5