TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 1991 Capri xr2 NEED HELP!  (Read 1598 times)

Julianafrench123

• 1991 mercury Capri turbo, Pontiac solstice gxp
1991 Capri xr2 NEED HELP!
« on: February 13, 2021, 10:19:55 PM »

Recently purchased a xr2, horn doesn’t work but I purchased the relay for it, first question? Is it a three prong behind the driver side headlight, second issue, so new headlights, but the low beams don’t work, I haven’t tested the switch, but when I pull the stalk the high beams work and the switch doesn’t light up, I ordered a switch and think it won’t hurt to Atleast, also my oil pressure is reading around 30-35 and staying solid around that number warm, not sure if that’s a correct number, but it’s staying around there, could be the gauge, not sure, the spooly snail puts good boost, I did daily a 07 solstice turbo that put 18psi and 13s in the quarter mile and this car is way different I wrecked mine and it is not yet fixed if someone could lend a hand pls let me know also the headlight relay is good and my HIGH BEAMS do work I’m only 21 and never owned anything this old it’s simple but very different to me

ZJCapri91

• 91’ Capri N/A 05’ Excursion V10 06’ F150 5.4 V8
Re: 1991 Capri xr2 NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 09:27:56 AM »

Welcome!
The horn really can only be the relay, and i do believe it was behind the drivers side headlight, on the wall. If you go to tech Capri (https://www.techcapri.com/), they have all the shop manuals for these old capris.
The headlight switch, at least in my experience, is always the culprit for issues relating to headlights that "flash to pass" i.e. raise when you flash your high beams on the stalk, and do not work when you use the switch. The switches can be found on eBay, or on modern Capri parts, or if you feel so mechanically inclined, you can try and "rebuild" the switch by taking it apart and cleaning the electrical contacts that go bad. Part number cross referencing will be your friend when it comes to trying to find parts for these 30 year old Australian cars. 
The oil pressure gauge is finicky in these cars, mostly due to a bad ground right behind the drivers side strut tower. However, right around 30 is right on the money for oil pressure in most cars, and is no different for these cars too.

Capri's are very simple machines! However, that makes it all the more frustrating when something does go wrong, cause you can't just use a scan tool and have the car tell you whats wrong ;D
I wish you the best of luck on your Capri endeavors, they're a joy to work on and drive!