TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Stabilizer (sway) bar end links - Spohn Performance, found on CARid.com  (Read 6253 times)

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...

Hi all,

In casting around for stabilizer bar end links I found these on CARid.com:

https://www.carid.com/spohn-performance/spherical-front-sway-bar-end-links-mpn-sel-19-417.html?singleid=1077059598&url=4537699#features

I confirmed with chat on the website that they are supposed to exactly fit our car, so I am ordering a set to find out.

Cheers all,

Steve

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Stabilizer (sway) bar end links - Spohn Performance, found on CARid.com
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 07:37:16 PM »

Steve,

In the Vehicle Fitment chart:

Durango 1979-1982
Fairmont 1979-1993
Granada 1979-1993
LTD 1979-1992
Mustang 1979-1993
Thunderbird 1979-1993

Capri 1979-1986, 1991-1993
Cougar 1979-1993
Marquis 1979-1986
Zephyr 1979-1983

This is a bit of a red flag as none of the other listed vehicles have anything at all in common with our Capri chassis, it seems they just lumped our years in for whatever reason.
In my experience with CarID it's just a spam website with optimized search terms trying to sell whatever they can.
They don't have pictures of the items, and with the way our swaybars are set up it would be difficult to install spherical rod ends like they advertise. (the 94 XR2 swaybars have a spherical joint, the swaybar's ends are kicked up at a 90 degree angle to permit this)

If they do happen to fit that will be good news, looking forward to seeing pictures of the items since the website doesn't have them

If you're looking for swaybar endlinks, OEM style can be found on rockauto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,1988,323,1.6l+l4+turbocharged,1431649,suspension,stabilizer+bar+link,7580

There was a performance urethane bushing set available from Pedders, but maybe not anymore, their website shows it but not ordering options:

http://shop.pedders.com.au/urethane-swaybar-link-bush-8-pkt-ep3080.html

Part numbers are in this thread if you want to do further digging: http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2715.msg14561.html
Maybe Whiteline has something.

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

redsteve

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 09:20:42 PM »

Rocketman,

Thank you for all this, I didn't know much about CARid, and all that cross referencing as you note.

It will be a learning experience if nothing else, and with your help I have strong back-ups on the table.

Sometimes...I think I should have gone with something else for a "picnic car," but I sure enjoy toodling around in my Capri.

Thank you!

Cheers all,

Steve

redsteve

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:41:19 PM »

Further thoughts...

...I'm getting lazy in my (semi) old age.

Rocketman, I'm usually better at due diligence (failing miserably here...).

Checking elsewhere confirmed these links do not fit.

I'm watching an eternal circle on carid.com's website in an effort to cancel the order.

It's not posted to my card account yet so I can't dispute it; off I go on this (possibly moderately costly) little adventure.

I need to learn more about the Mazda 323 connection with regard to cross referenced parts...

Still learning!

Cheers all,

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 08:35:03 AM »

I've found a lot of sites post fitment for our cars along with Mustang based Capri's which of course will not fit.
Jack Byrd

redsteve

Hi all,

A humble update...

...the CARid parts I ordered are sitting on a bench in my shop, too much noise in my life to effect and follow a return...Rocketman, you were right (of course!). I will sell locally at some point, to make a partial recovery, as they fit quite a list of popular cars (737 cars apparently, I eventually found, but not ours).

Also, Rocketman, I ordered proper links from the Rock Auto link you provided, along with bushings that were in the clearance listings.

Now I just need to get one broken bolt and three rusty but otherwise healthy bolts out of the brackets and...

...sigh...(Kroil is my friend here).

I looked in my manual for a bolt specification for replacements, I haven't found such or there isn't such in the manual. A search here did not return a specification either.

If anyone has a specification or a listing for a source, I'd be obliged. If it turns out I simply have to take one to a supplier for a match of some sort I'll go that route.

Any guidance?

Cheers all,

Steve