TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52858 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #270 on: November 22, 2021, 06:09:33 PM »

I did manage to separate the water pump outlet from the metal tubing that attached to it today at work. I might have melted the o-ring that is apparently in there, but hell...I've got no shortage of those. I was able to clean it up, and should be able to sneak it behind the exhaust manifold to re-install it without having to pull the whole turbo manifold back off. Hooray.

My next problem is the multitude of hoses and shit coming off the engine, exhaust, and intake manifold. It's a big old rats nest of rubber lines, and I'm not super sure where half of it goes. Should be a fun project. At least once I know it's all routed correctly, it'll be easy enough to replace all the 30+ year old rubber now.

EShepherd

« Reply #271 on: November 24, 2021, 05:38:13 PM »

I was going through my boxes of parts, and looking at what I have left I can do to the engine before I get the transmission, and I came across my very nasty distributor. Holy crap guys, replacement dizzy's are EXPENSIVE. So, I ordered some stuff to rebuild it. I already have a box with new spark plug wires. I'm pretty confident I have a new O-Ring for it in my master engine rebuild gasket set. So I ordered a cap, rotor, ignition coil, and pickup coil. All of that stuff should be here next Thursday. Maybe I'll do a write-up on how to rebuild the distributors, like I did with porting the wastegate. New ones are expensive, and very likely in short supply. Likewise, the knowledge on how to rebuild a distributor is probably on it's way to being lost to time. It may be a good addition to the community here.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2021, 08:26:40 AM »

Yeah, before long all anyone will know is how to plug it in....lol
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2021, 01:07:55 PM »

Yeah, before long all anyone will know is how to plug it in....lol

I actually just had to order a small little 2-jaw puller to take the thing apart. I don't have one small enough to feel comfortable using it on the distributor lol

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #274 on: November 25, 2021, 04:30:54 PM »

In addition to the brake master cylinder we need to work out a replacement for the distributor.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #275 on: November 25, 2021, 05:06:13 PM »

In addition to the brake master cylinder we need to work out a replacement for the distributor.

I have most of the important parts coming in. I won't know for sure until I have the thing blown apart on my workbench, but I believe all I'm missing is some seals and bearing(s)? Other than those, I think everything else is not necessarily a wear item, and could be restored to a like-new condition. Anything that is a wear item, I'll try and track down replacement part numbers for them. My goal is to end up with what is essentially a new distributor. We'll see how close to that goal I can get.

With a good enough write-up, and links to parts, it shouldn't be too difficult for everyone e;se here that is interested to do the same with their distributors. If it does end up being more difficult than I envision, I suppose I could always offer it as a service to fellow forum members. I guess we will see how it goes.

Anyways, I just finished going through my few boxes of parts. Other than a bunch of brackets, it looks like I've only got the following parts left to deal with: The VAF, the radiator, it's fan and hoses, the power steering pump, the alternator, the starter, the flywheel/pressure plate/clutch, aaaaaand a whole bunch of hoses. There's really not much left for me to do. However, it is a nice big (frustrating) 3d puzzle, as far as routing all these hoses and getting the brackets back on. It's certainly going to be interesting, trying to get the last few bits of this thing together.

Once the distributor and valve cover are back on the engine, hopefully the other pieces fall into place nicely for me. I'm not too sure what to do with the power steering pump, since it only shared a belt drive with the AC compressor, which I've deleted. I think I may well be going with no power steering, but maybe I can find a way to replace the AC compressor with an idler pully, and retain the power assisted steering.

I do need to track down an aftermarket intercooler and some piping, too.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #276 on: November 25, 2021, 10:36:12 PM »

Just go to the auto parts store and ask them for a non-ac belt :) no idler needed
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2021, 07:25:18 AM »

Just go to the auto parts store and ask them for a non-ac belt :) no idler needed

Well that definitely sounds ideal. Does it get rid of the two-belt setup, and just runs everything together on a single drive belt?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #278 on: November 28, 2021, 09:15:08 AM »

no
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2021, 06:46:29 PM »

Care to elaborate on that?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2021, 07:28:47 PM »

The non-ac belt runs to just the power steering pump. That's it. Still need the Vee belt to run the alternator & water pump.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #281 on: November 30, 2021, 08:28:58 AM »

Care to elaborate on that?

lol.....you still need one for the alternator/water pump
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #282 on: December 02, 2021, 06:49:28 PM »

Just a heads up guys, I've started the tear-down on the distributor. It's tricky to get the time to do it at work, and even when I do find the time, making space is another issue. I dumped some customer's transfer case guts onto the floor today so I could have space on my work bench to play with it. The screws holding all the little bits of the thing together, they sure don't like coming apart after 31 years. They prefer to strip out and then be extremely stuck. if anyone has plans to rebuild theirs, I strongly suggest a good set of left handed drill bits and screw extractors. I've had to extract 3 of the screws so far, and I only have it half way apart.

It's slow going, but once I'm done it will hopefully have been worthwhile. There are definitely parts in there that I should replace, that I don't have. I bought all the distributor parts listed for our cars on Rock Auto, so I'll be hunting down all the other stuff once its all torn down. All of the screws, for starters....  ::)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #283 on: December 03, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »

Wow, when looking for parts, don't forget the 323GT. That's an ambitious project. Love someone is taking an interest in these cars.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #284 on: January 02, 2022, 10:09:47 AM »

Hey guys, I've made a fair amount of progress. The distributor is re-built and on the engine (hopefully in the correct orientation). The power steering pump and alternator are also both on the engine. New serpentine belts are on their way. I'll be bringing home my impact gun tomorrow from work so I can "torque" down the crank pully. With lock-tite. To my personal spec of "super friggin tight". There's really not much left for me to do until I get the transmission. I plan to push the car into the garage, so I can install the ECM, and start routing the wiring harness.

The one big issue looming over me still, is all the vacuum, coolant, and oil lines. The stuff coming off the turbo, oil pan, throttle body, valve cover, and especially the intake manifold. I can't find a diagram in the service manual of what goes where. I have some pictures from before I took everything apart, but I can't get a clear idea of what goes where. I plan to buy spools of the correct diameter hoses, and new clamps, so I don't have to re-use these old nasty hoses. The problem is that I don't know for sure what goes where. Can anyone point me to a resource that would help clear this up?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32