TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52856 times)

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #240 on: September 22, 2021, 11:06:08 PM »

Looking good man! The deck of the block looks amazing!

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2021, 06:38:48 AM »

Thanks guys :)

I got the rings on the first piston yesterday, however ran out of time to get it into the block or finish the other three. I'll try to squeeze out some time tonight, but who knows.

I do very much need to find a new short nose crank bolt, ASAP. It's that, an MLS gasket, and getting the head surface skimmed that are holding me up. Once that's all done, and I find a new tranny, the car should be ready to be put back together. If anyone knows where I can find any of that.

EShepherd

« Reply #242 on: September 28, 2021, 06:44:12 PM »

I'm off work tomorrow guys. Hoping to make some actual progress on the engine.

I have noticed over the week that the crank has been getting more and more difficult to turn. It's at the point now where it's too difficult, to me. Something is definitely wrong. So I'm going to pull off the main caps, measure everything with the micrometers again, and figure out what fuckery is going on. I want to make damn sure this thing is right before I put it back in the car. The whole point of this was to make sure that at least mechanically, the car will be solid for many many years to come. That way I can focus on the body/chassis without needing to worry about the engine shitting the bed on me. So, until I'm 100% positive everything is right, it's not going in.

I just hope I don't need any further machining work done. Guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #243 on: September 29, 2021, 08:52:30 AM »

Good plan
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #244 on: September 29, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »

Good news. I switched the order I had the main caps in, and it made a world of difference. Crank spins like butter now. That's one major crisis averted. Then I checked all the piston ring gaps, installed all the rings, installed the connecting rod bearings, checked their clearances, and installed all the pistons/rods. The whole rotating assembly is now in. All the bearing clearances are well within spec, as are the ring gaps. Everything is looking good here. I mocked up the oil pan in the last picture, the engine is going to end up looking pretty dang good, too. I've got to put new seals in the oil pump and rear main carrier, then install both of those to the block. After that, it's just the pan. I should hopefully have that all done within this coming week, and I plan on getting my head re-surfaced next week. As long as he doesn't take forever with that, the engine should be ready for the car in just a couple weeks. Now I just need to source a new tranny...

EShepherd

« Reply #245 on: September 30, 2021, 05:24:10 AM »

Well, I've run into a new problem. Where can I get an oil pump seal/front main seal for a short nose crank?

UPDATE:
---------
New rear main seal, installed:

Oil pump and oil pan, installed:

Glamour shot, with that gorgeous cross-hatching:

It's all together, minus that seal I need to track down, and a crank bolt. I need both for a short nose crank, and I can't find either. Other than that, it's ready to rock.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:34:51 AM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #246 on: September 30, 2021, 08:17:07 AM »

Lookin' good.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #247 on: September 30, 2021, 06:45:55 PM »

Should be able to find the seals at the normal gettin' spots.
RockAuto has both listed:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercury,1991,capri,1.6l+l4+turbocharged,1196636,engine,crankshaft+seal,5604
(remember the discount code if you order from there, you always forget)
But should be able to get them at a local gettin' spot too

Main crank bolt for short nose will be a Mazda dealer item.

Looking good btw. Slap your transmission back together and throw it in while you source a good used. Try www.car-part.com it is a junkyard aggregator you can sort by price/miles/distance etc
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #248 on: September 30, 2021, 07:01:39 PM »

Should be able to find the seals at the normal gettin' spots.
RockAuto has both listed:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercury,1991,capri,1.6l+l4+turbocharged,1196636,engine,crankshaft+seal,5604
(remember the discount code if you order from there, you always forget)
But should be able to get them at a local gettin' spot too

Main crank bolt for short nose will be a Mazda dealer item.

Looking good btw. Slap your transmission back together and throw it in while you source a good used. Try www.car-part.com it is a junkyard aggregator you can sort by price/miles/distance etc

My hero <3 thanks for the infos. I had ordered one of those seals yesterday, but before I figured out why the one that came in my gasket kit was too big. Hopefully I accidently ordered one for the short nose.

Good call on putting this tranny back together, God knows how long it'll take to find, and receive, a new unit. It's not like I'll be driving the thing any time soon, it needs brakes and suspension work I'm sure. But a placeholder tranny so I can get the engine in, and do the troubleshooting that I'm oh so sure will need doing, seems like the smart move.

EShepherd

« Reply #249 on: October 01, 2021, 05:45:55 PM »

Good news! The front crankshaft seal I ordered arrived today, already.

Bad news! Too damned big. Alas, looks like third time will be the charm. Might just order the damned thing from Mazda when I get the bolt, too.

In other news, I've got two spare big-nosed crankshaft front seals. Free to a good home, if anyone has a need for them. The parts hoarder in me can't just toss 'em.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #250 on: October 03, 2021, 10:03:31 AM »

Glad you finally get that figured out. I'll take one of those. PM me and let me know how much.
Jack Byrd

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #251 on: October 03, 2021, 10:10:21 AM »

Hey man I was just reading your last few posts and was wondering about the crank caps, are they numbered? I know they all have arrows that should face the nose of the crank, I think it's really important they go back exactly where they came from. Look really closely at the caps I remember being able to make out faint embossed numbers on them. Some I could make out pretty clearly and others were a real struggle to make out

EShepherd

« Reply #252 on: October 03, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »

If they are numbered, I didn't see them. I had mine marked 1-5. So, there were only two ways to put them back on. The first way I did it, the crank was a bit too tight for my liking. When I reversed them, so how they are now, it feels perfect. Don't worry, I'm positive I've got them correct. I re-measured everything with the micrometers and bore gauge, just to double check. The numbers match how they looked when I took it apart. Minus the crank journals, which are ever so slightly smaller (like, 0.0001" smaller) due to the machine work. Everything's in spec, I should be good to go.

And Wolf, I'll fire off that PM now.

Edit:
Forgot to mention...the whole reason I came on here to post lol. I'll be calling Mazda tomorrow to order those two parts. The Nissan dealership I work for has a sister store that does Mazda, so I'm hoping I can get a decent discount. I'll post part numbers once I get them, just incase one day someone else winds up in this position.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:15:21 PM by EShepherd »

EShepherd

« Reply #253 on: October 04, 2021, 06:00:19 PM »

Good news, bad news. (Deja-Vu)

Good news first. Got OEM part numbers from Mazda.

Front Main Seal: B36611310B
Crankshaft Bolt: JF0111405

Bad news. Not in production. Can't get them via Mazda.

Freaking lovely. So, taking a closer look at the Rock Auto listings, several of them list diameters. I'm going to go measure the size of the hole in a little bit, after my shower. Just got home from work. I'll order a seal that seems correct, and if it works, I'll report back here and let you guys know.

As far as the bolt. I've got no idea. I'm at a loss. I might just have to make my own somehow. At least I've got that part number now. I'll be spending some time here tonight delving deep into these interwebz, trying to locate a source for them.

EDIT:
------
I ordered P/N: (National) 223012

The listed outside diameter was smaller than the other National branded front main seal's listed outside diameter, so I'm pretty confident this is going to work. Now I just gotta deal with the bolt. I swear it was in the crank when it went to the machine shop. The odds of that dude finding it in that heap is about the same as the odds of me hitting the powerball, though

SECOND EDIT:
--------------------
Found the bolt! It's from the rip-off artists at Flyin-Miata, though. Freaking $18 for a bolt. Ah well. I need an MLS head gasket, too....and I at least know they sell quality ones. Before I do that, has anyone got any advice or suggestions on what head gasket to go for, and where to source it from? I definitely want to go MLS. As far as thickness, I'm fine with whatever will keep me at stock compression ratio, or slightly (very slightly) higher.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/NA/small-nose-crankshaft-bolt-1990-91.html
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 06:58:21 PM by EShepherd »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #254 on: October 04, 2021, 11:05:50 PM »

Is your stock bolt in poor condition? I would re-use it, just make sure it's torqued properly. Time seems to have weeded out the weak crankshafts, and the keyway "wobble" issue stems from shoddy work without a properly torqued bolt

Rockauto doesn't list the seal by size, they are listed by production date. You will need one that matches to the earlier dates, they switched part way thru 1990 (91 model year)
(see the RockAuto page)
This will at least get you the right part number, look it up on your local gettin' place's website(s) to see if they have it in stock

I don't have a recommendation for MLS gaskets. I've always used the OEM graphite style one. One time I ran a super cheap eBay head gasket and the oil port didn't seal and leaked on me. Other than that no issues with them.
Should be noted that the OEM for the 1.8L BP engine is an MLS type, IIRC
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32