TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52919 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2021, 08:45:45 AM »

Yup, that's nasty.....lol

Right? I'd love to know how exactly it ended up in this way. This poor Capri has most certainly lived an EXTREMELY hard life. It looks like someone took this thing mudding. How is there a 2" thick pile of god only knows what stuck under the sift lever? Bleugh.

Notice how rusty the steel cover for the gearset is, and how rusty the steel shift lever is? Remember the literal holes in the body of this car? It's gotten itself a name in the past four months. I lovingly call her 'The Titanic' now. My wife has grown to detest my dirty rotten lawn ornament. I sure hope the thing is as fun to drive as it sounds like it is on paper. If I can get her to crack a big ass smile on our maiden voyage, I won't need to worry too much about her trying to make me get rid of my money pit here.

Also, she's leaning more towards me buying something not the size of a Smart FourTwo for daily driving duties, something about not wanting the baby in danger if we get hit by a strong gust of wind. Works for me, because that'll put 'ol rusty here back firmly in the 'track toy' category.  ;D

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2021, 02:10:28 AM »

Distributor o-ring seal and a leaking valvecover gasket like to coat the transmission with a thick glaze of oil. Dust/dirt sticks to it and you've got yourself a cake :)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2021, 07:42:32 AM »

Well nice, I've fixed one of those already, then. Don't think I have an O-ring for the dizzy, unless you mean the big round one that goes into the top of the head. Like, where the cam seals go, but on the back? In that case, then cool I already fixed both  8)

EShepherd

« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »

Guys, this transaxle is putting up a hell of a fight. I'm taking it personally. The manual trans and auto trans ASE's are the two tests that have been holding me back from hitting master tech. I plan to take them (and recert my other 6, I think they expired) in a couple months here. What better way to study, than to blindly attempt to tear down and rebuild this damn thing.

That being said....there's nothing in the big book about taking these things apart. I'm scouring Youtube, just watching folks take apart manual transaxles from other small Japanese front wheel drive cars. It's helping, but only so much. If any of you guys happen to know how to remove the shift forks (the ones that hold the synchronizers) I'm all ears. I've been trying to take good notes and pictures, so that anybody who goes into this after me will at least have some sort of reference materials.

After all this effort, I'm probably going to put some work into this thing before tossing it back together. That LSD may be coming sooner, rather than later. I've got no desire to ever do this a second time. If you guys know of anyone who I could send my gears to, to have them hardened/strengthened in some way, that'd be swell as well. The transaxles are the weak links in these cars, from what I've read. I'd feel much better going forward with more modifications, if I knew the tranny won't explode at sustained 300bhp driving.

Cheers. More pictures coming soon.

EShepherd

« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2021, 05:54:57 PM »

Mwahaha. I win. There is a roll pin in the side of the shift fork, you've gotta use a pin punch, a big hammer, and some 'gentle' persuasion. It'll come out, then you can pry the fork out. You've got to get the ends (5th gear, I'd imagine) off of both the main shaft and counter shaft, before you can split the case. There's also a couple fasteners that go through the case and into the shafts that you'll need to remove. Don't worry, once I'm done here, I'll do a full write-up. Provided I can get it back together. I did end up with an extra spring sitting in the case when I split it, so I'll need to figure out where in the world that goes. Also, I started grinding the rust off of the steel part of the case. I do intend to paint this whole thing when I'm done, with the same paint I used on the oil pan.

Pictures:

So this is the shift lever inside of the bellhousing. You pull that bolt, take the spring tension off, and pry it up through the case.

This is what I believe to be 5th gear, which needs to come off before you're able to split the case.

And here it is split open, as well as my progress on cleaning the outside of the transaxle. Slightly less nasty looking, now.

So my next steps will be to clean and paint the two parts I've got on the table there, then to get the rest of the gearsets and the differential out of the other half of the case. I still would like to find some way of strengthening those gears, and then I hope to get the helical LSD in a few weeks when this is ready to go back together. I also vaguely remember something about a 5th gear swap, so I need to look into that.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2021, 08:46:40 PM »

I believe there are guides out there, the big FSM doesn't have a transmission rebuild procedure? I swear I've seen it in there.
The transaxle is a G5MR or G25MR. That should get you some hits.

I know I have seen a teardown procedure on a forum before, might have been on clubprotege or fordfestiva.
There's some got-ya bits inside that will not go back together if not done in the proper order. Proceed with caution?

I've been advised when playing with the 5th gear to never disassemble those hubs with the springs and 3 bits, remove the part whole, apparently they don't like to go back together. I had one come apart once and ended up having to grab a whole assembly out of a spare trans

Look up "Vapor Blasting" or "Vapor Honing", see if someone local offers that service near you - it will make the casing parts look better than OEM

Here's the "stronger" gearsets:
https://www.par-engineering.com/product/g5mds-set-g-series-1st4th-dog-engagement-gearset/
https://www.par-engineering.com/product/g5mss-set-g-series-1st4th-synchromesh-engagement-gearset/

You could do a Toyota E153 transmission conversion for a fraction of that cost, though

EShepherd

« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2021, 07:44:17 AM »

I believe there are guides out there, the big FSM doesn't have a transmission rebuild procedure? I swear I've seen it in there.
The transaxle is a G5MR or G25MR. That should get you some hits.

I know I have seen a teardown procedure on a forum before, might have been on clubprotege or fordfestiva.
There's some got-ya bits inside that will not go back together if not done in the proper order. Proceed with caution?

I've been advised when playing with the 5th gear to never disassemble those hubs with the springs and 3 bits, remove the part whole, apparently they don't like to go back together. I had one come apart once and ended up having to grab a whole assembly out of a spare trans

Look up "Vapor Blasting" or "Vapor Honing", see if someone local offers that service near you - it will make the casing parts look better than OEM

Here's the "stronger" gearsets:
https://www.par-engineering.com/product/g5mds-set-g-series-1st4th-dog-engagement-gearset/
https://www.par-engineering.com/product/g5mss-set-g-series-1st4th-synchromesh-engagement-gearset/

You could do a Toyota E153 transmission conversion for a fraction of that cost, though

Well NOW you warn me. Thanks, buddy  :P

It'll be alright. If for whatever reason I can't get this thing back together properly, I'll either need to source a new one, or look into that Toyota trans swap. No big deal either way really. I definitely don't want to run a car with a glass transmission. Those two gearsets you linked look insane. Straight cut gears 1-4 and everything. Would be noisy, and probably a bit harder to shift, but damn. Not going to break those. Well, maybe Aus Carpi and his manhole cover sized turbo. But I wouldn't be able to break them. Sticker shock at first, until I realized it was in Aussie Dollars. Still steep, but not crazy. One of those gearsets, an LSD, and I'd be out maybe ~3k USD (+ shipping). Not cheap sure, but not too expensive for what you'd get. I'd have an excuse to do a custom exhaust manifold with a t4 flange, a bigger modern turbo, etc. Shoot for more in the 400bhp range than the 250bhp range. Seeing as I'd like to get this thing in rally eventually, that's a good power goal to aim for. Would at least make it competitive in FWD prepared.

Also, I was able to piece 5th gear back together when I bagged it. I didn't try putting the actual 5th gear back into the synchro, so maybe it'll fall apart then, but who knows. It didn't seem too bad. It's like a big, frustrating, 3D puzzle. I hate it.

EDIT:
-------
As far as a guide in the FSM. So, I've got a massive paper book that's the FSM for a bunch of late 80s-early 90s import cars. Remember those Matt? (yep, an old man joke :P) I read through the whole transmission section in there, and there wasn't anything about teardowns in it. Just remove/replace and fluid stuff. I didn't check the wayback machine FSM on the ol' interwebz. I suppose it's possible it's in there. If so, I'm going to feel like a dumbass.

2nd EDIT:
------------
Yep, theres a whole guide on the wayback machine FSM. God damnit. Well hey, that'll help going forward. It's full of specs too, so now I've got measurements to compare mine against now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 07:53:09 AM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »

You might want to consider 5th gears from a 626. They have a higher speeded ratio that will give you a higher top speed and with your power it would be a plus.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2021, 08:30:00 AM »

You might want to consider 5th gears from a 626. They have a higher speeded ratio that will give you a higher top speed and with your power it would be a plus.

Yeah, that's the one I vaguely remembered. Definitely something I'd like to do. 5th gear is probably only ever going to be used on the highway, so it wouldn't hurt to have a wider ratio there. Any idea where to source one? Can they be had new, or is it something I'll need to find from someone parting out a car?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2021, 06:29:03 PM »

You will want to hop on eBay and get yourself a paper copy of the Factory Service Manual, for as deep into it as you

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2021, 07:49:13 AM »

Yeah, that's the one I vaguely remembered. Definitely something I'd like to do. 5th gear is probably only ever going to be used on the highway, so it wouldn't hurt to have a wider ratio there. Any idea where to source one? Can they be had new, or is it something I'll need to find from someone parting out a car?

One work......Amazon.....lol
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2021, 05:11:21 PM »

My cursory search of Amazon yielded, nada. I've been quite busy though, I'll put more effort into the hunt when I've got the time.

Drove out to Pennsylvania earlier, met with Mr. Rocketman himself today. Super cool guy, can't thank him enough for the chassis donation. Seriously man, thanks a million. Kudos on the Pink Floyd shirt btw. I spent years playing bass in a Pink Floyd cover band in the Philly area. Love it. That '94, absolutely gorgeous.

Anyways guys, just a couple pictures. I finally finished blasting apart that transmission yesterday. I'll make a write up soon. It really wasn't that hard, once I figured out the whole roll-pin situation. I've got SO MANY Capri parts floating about. I really need to invest in some storage totes, because it's frankly ridiculous at this point. All of the engine parts, all of the transmission parts, all of the parts I needed to take out to get those two out. Now I've got a second chassis, which means I'll be storing a second interior, a hood, trunk, fenders, etc. Not to mention, I still want to pull out the interior on the good chassis, now that I have a good chassis, so I can rip out the sound-deadening and seam weld it. That might need to wait until I get the thing running and driving first. I honestly don't think I have room to keep all these parts. They sure as shit won't fit in the car lol.

This is apparently the only picture I took during the remaining teardown on the trans. That's the primary and counter shaft gear sets. I'll get more when I write it up.

'Ol Rusty. I'm going to strip off anything I could see ever needing, and then I'll likely scrap what's left. If any of you guys have a strange need for an unimaginably rusty '91 Capri husk, come and get her.

And here's Rocketman's immensely generous donation, with the Titanic's hat on. There's a couple spots where rust is starting to form on the floor, but it's a joke compared to the white car. Once the lift in the garage is free, I'm going to push her in, cut out the spots, and put some plates in. Definitely want to stop the cancer now, seeing how bad it'll get.

I'm toying with the idea of swapping over the hood/trunk/headlight covers, etc. Rocking a two-tone red and white look. Thoughts?

Just wanted to add. Now that I've got a chassis worth a damn, it's game on. I'll be busy with work soon, but that also means I'll have money to throw at any stupid problems with the Capri(s?) that pop up, too. I hope, and plan, to have this thing on the road by the end of September. If the machinist still hasn't done the work to my block, I'm just going to take it back and do what I can to do the machine work myself. That's literally the only thing holding me up now. Just need to reassemble the engine and transmission (no big deal, right?), swap over the harness, install them both, and then put all the crap back in the engine bay. It COULD be done in a long weekend, but we'll see. Stay tuned for more.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 05:18:12 PM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2021, 08:25:20 AM »

I apologize, when I checked on them eBay and Amazon both listed them. Seems neither has them now.  Looking good, keep up the good work.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2021, 10:04:40 AM »

I apologize, when I checked on them eBay and Amazon both listed them. Seems neither has them now.  Looking good, keep up the good work.

:'( Ya killin me here, smalls
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32