TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52933 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2021, 07:51:23 AM »

Best wishes for a quick recovery.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2021, 10:30:25 PM »

I also wish you a speedy recovery. Stay safe. Give me a call when you're back on an even keel.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2021, 09:28:12 AM »

What's up guys? It's been a pretty brutal few weeks, but my family and I are all starting to get better now. Hopefully I'll be able to drag myself outside in the next few days and get back to work on the rust bucket out there. Oh yeah, the machine shop still hasn't called me to let me know he is done with my engine. That dude told me a week, like what six weeks ago now? If, when I feel up to driving, he still isn't done....I'm probably just going to go and take it back. This has gone from annoying to ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:30:31 AM by EShepherd »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2021, 01:49:13 AM »

Glad to hear you are feeling better!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2021, 07:35:18 AM »

Hey man good to hear your on the mend! The machine shop that did my motor messed around for over a month too! Told me if I dropped it off on Monday he would have it done by Friday! I'd give him a call and nicely ask for an update or ask is there any problems he has found as to why its taking so long and hopefully it will get his ass into gear. Try not to get kranky with him you don't want him doing a sub par job out of spite. That's what I did any way I rang him once a week. And I guess he finally got sick of me calling and did the work.

Did your little one and partner get the virus too?
Again mate I'm glad to hear your on the mend and I hope your all 100% before too long!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »

Glad to hear you're all improving. It went though my family a year ago. My mother died from it a year ago next week after 2 months in ICU.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #171 on: May 20, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »

Hey thanks guys. So yeah, my whole family ended up getting it. My wife works retail, so we think that's how it ended up happening. Even though its a luxury store and they are very strict with the Covid stuff, that's the only way we can work at any of us were exposed. Our 18 month old son got it too, and listening to the little guy coughing was honestly the worst part of the whole thing. I'm still having some lingering symptoms, mostly just a stuffy nose and a total inability to smell things still. The scariest bit was for about a week during the worst of it, every single thing that I ate tasted like metal. It was bizarre, made eating anything impossible, and it was terrifying to know that a disease was messing with my brain functions. It's all in the past now though. My wife and son don't seem to be showing any symptoms now, and other than what I stated earlier, I just have some lingering aches and pains.

Anways, I'll have some new pictures and updates coming soon. I've managed to rip apart the rear end, and stripped the paint off the subframe to prep that for a fresh coat. I also started stripping the paint off of the rear swaybar, but then decided it would look better polished than it would look painted. So I've been carried away the last few nights polishing the swaybar.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 04:41:10 PM by EShepherd »

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2021, 10:47:57 PM »

Hey man how's everything going did you ene up getting your motor back? We haven't heard from you in a while. I hop everything is OK.

Regards Dave

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2021, 10:30:38 AM »

Just read through this whole post, very cool stuff you have going on! I hope your okay, I love seeing this updates because it gets my hyped for my own build. Hope you come back soon, and update us! I really wish I was checking the forum more often, I would have loved to give my input to some of the stuff you've done because I know alot of the mods that fit the Miata that work for the Capri aswell, that I could have gave you tips on. I have to say that engine is going to be sick when it gets all put together, I love all the reflective tape, it looks like something out of a Lunar Landing hahaha.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

EShepherd

« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2021, 08:08:20 AM »

Hey thanks man. Sorry guys, I'm still alive. The project has been on hold for a little bit, life has been getting in the way. I'm currently trying to get a hold of Matt to get his chassis down to me. I've got a REALLY good job offer as a tech at a local Kia dealership. We also had to sell my truck, so now I NEED a second car. That means, there is a fire under my ass to get this Capri running. I'm going to need a 2nd car for daily driver duty soon. I promise, updates will resume soon.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2021, 08:19:51 AM »

Yeah, things happen. Good luck.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2021, 11:58:21 AM »

Tiny update for you guys. I should be going down to get Matt's spare chassis next weekend, which means work should be resuming very shortly on this project. I'm starting work the following Wednesday at a Nissan dealership, so I'll not have as much time to work on it. However, I desperately need a car to get to and from work, so getting the damn thing on the road will be way up there on my priority list. I've got every part I need to do it (minus the engine block, which the machine shop STILL has), so the only thing it'll take is some time. And tires. I think there are 20 year old Michelins on there right now.

On that note, anyone have decent tire recommendations for the factory size? I was looking at Toyo R888's (I think they're called, memory is a bit fuzzy). They're street slicks though, which was perfect for when the plan for this car was track duty. Now that she'll be my daily for a little while, that's obviously not going to work. I'm in New York, so I need all seasons. Or at least something with some tread, and then a set of snow tires. There's basically no options in a 14" wheel.

Oh also, I plan on getting started on the transmission later today. I may finally have some progress photos for you all soon. I just plan to grease up what needs greasing, inspect it, clean it, and paint it. It needs done before it goes back in. The thing is NASTY.

ZJCapri91

• 91’ Capri N/A 05’ Excursion V10 06’ F150 5.4 V8
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2021, 03:56:24 PM »

I know the fun of tire sizes on these rims...
I have some mastercraft all seasons on my Capri, and it does pretty good in the snow and rain here in Ohio. I would recommend them.
Best of luck putting the car back together.

EShepherd

« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »

I know the fun of tire sizes on these rims...
I have some mastercraft all seasons on my Capri, and it does pretty good in the snow and rain here in Ohio. I would recommend them.
Best of luck putting the car back together.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check them out. I'm looking for something cheap, but not dangerous. I'll likely have to pick my kid up from daycare in this thing (provided a car seat fits). I think it will, with the passenger seat slid all the way forward and tilted forward lol...

Anyways, as promisted:

I'm going to leave it in the driveway overnight, and allow the oven cleaner to really soak in there. The last picture is after letting it sit for maybe 10 minutes, and then spraying it off with the hose. It helped a little bit, but sheesh man the thing is disgusting. Hopefully tomorrow I can get all that crap off.

The service manual is totally devoid of teardown/rebuild/inspection procedures for these things, so I'll try and take good notes and make a write-up when I'm all finished with this thing. I intend on eventually shoving a helical limited slip differential in here, but I'd like to ensure the thing is in good shape before I put that sort of money into it. I'm not sure how far I'll go with the disassembly, but we'll see.

PS- Check out the new aluminum top on my workbench, and the shelf I put underneath. Getting ready to move into the dealership. I even spent the last several days cleaning out and reorganizing my toolbox. Good gravy, the amount of stupid crap that you accumulate is unbelievable. Also, to make room in there (I was way overflowing), I pulled out all of my standard size tools. It's all Crafstman stuff. 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" socket sets in deep and shallow, piles and piles of wrenches, some nut drivers, etc. If anyone is interested in buying it, let me know. I don't think I ever used any of it to be totally honest. Shipping would be a bear, it's heavy. If you're near-ish to NYC and don't mind the drive, I don't need a ton of money for it all.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 04:39:30 PM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2021, 08:03:09 AM »

Yup, that's nasty.....lol
Jack Byrd
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32