TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52948 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2021, 05:39:52 PM »

Turned out pretty well. I'm not a huge fan of this undercoating, but I've got like 4 cans of it left. Oh, and y'all know you're jealous of the slippers, don't lie...

From nasty to slightly less nasty. I'm having far too much fun with the new angle grinder.

This gasket was a pain in the butt to remove. Literally cooked itself into the steel.

That's my best guess as to how the whole turbo setup goes back together. Rocket, the webpage was immensely helpful, thanks for that. Does anyone see any glaring issues? I'm going to knock the rest of the rust off the heat shields and then paint them with the same stuff I used on the oil pan. Hopefully that holds up to the temperatures.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2021, 10:30:24 PM »

I see new hardware on the turbo flange. Is it grade 10? pretty sure the OEM studs there are skookum as frig, they see a lot of heat
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »

I see new hardware on the turbo flange. Is it grade 10? pretty sure the OEM studs there are skookum as frig, they see a lot of heat

I HIGHLY doubt its Grade 10. It came out of a box of misc. hardware I got at Harbor Freight ages ago. I'm assuming I should replace it with something nicer? Honestly, it's a miracle I got any hardware on there without having to replace the studs at the end of the exhaust manifold. One snapped off with the original nut, and the other three gave up a solid 30% of their threads when I removed their nuts. Nasty buggers, indeed. That was with a generous helping of the oxy/acetylene torch, too. I did manage to get all 4 torqued down to....well probably enough? Lol. All I can get on most of those is a stubby 14mm wrench.

Edit: The whole reason I left those nasty, janky studs in there is because I didn't want to bother fighting them trying to pull them out. Do you know a good way to go about doing that? My only idea was putting 2 nuts on there, you know that method? But I figured if the original fasteners were such a pain to remove, then the studs themselves were probably going to put up an even bigger fight. Hence, my band-aid solution lol.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:49:08 AM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2021, 08:58:34 AM »

Excellent
Jack Byrd

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2021, 02:42:44 AM »

Here are a couple of videos I took of the vj11 and vf12 turbos for you to have a look at, it's heaps easier for me to put a video to YouTube than getting pics up here

https://youtu.be/cR8AE-Wq-D8

https://youtu.be/qPX6lgP3JfI

Also here is a link to the vj11 wheel

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Billet-Compressor-Wheel-For-RHB5-Isuzu-38-19-52-13mm-6-6-NN136610-/172586913770?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2021, 03:09:25 AM »

Here is a link to the weird 12 blade turbine, I dono what it's ment to go in but stay the hell away from it!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Turbine-Wheel-Shaft-IHI-RHB5-44-53-5mm-12-Blades-/153386789805?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

EShepherd

« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2021, 07:47:54 AM »

Thanks for the videos man, super useful. That second one with the deodorant can....one of the most Aussie things I've seen in a while. Love it lol.

Anyways, I'm totally interested in that VJ11 compressor housing and the billet turbine wheel. I've tried buying books from Australia before, and the shipping was brutal. So it really depends on how much the shipping would come out to. If it isn't insane, I'll definitely buy it from you. I'll PM you my address so you can shop around on shipping options.

EShepherd

« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2021, 10:27:38 AM »

Here's the other side of the subframe. It didn't come out amazingly, but it'll do. Absolutely an improvement, at the very least. I don't think I'm going to attempt to paint those engine mounts. I really just want to replace them, but I still can't find new parts.

And here's the exhaust manifold and turbo, all together and ready to be reinstalled.

My collection of parts ready to be installed on the fresh engine block is REALLY piling up. If I could get that block back today, I could probably have the car running by the end of this coming weekend. Starting to get impatient.

This gasket was a flaming pain in the butt to get off. Seems like every paper gasket on this car was cooked into the metal. I really hope the engine hadn't previously been overheated, but it really is starting to seem that way.

Cleaned out the throttle body. The plate was sticking slightly in the closed position, so it needed doing.

Fun fact, brake cleaner removes whatever paint or coating was on the OEM fuel injectors. Whoops.

Painted the fuel rail red. I've had a tiny bit of this VHT red paint leftover from the brakes on my truck, and I've been looking for a good place to use it. Well, I found it. I don't think I'll bother re-painting the injectors. If I end up going with a Megasquirt ECU at some point, these are going to be the first part I replace. So, I'm not going to waste my time.

Once that rail is dried, I'll be able to throw the intake manifold back together with new injector seals and o-rings. I'll probably replace all the rubber fuel, coolant, and vacuum lines as well. They are in pretty rough shape. Once the intake is back together though, I'm basically out of little projects to do in order to get the engine back together. I suppose I could clean the engine bay and maybe replace the brake lines while I've got the space, but that's about it. I'm ready for the engine block back. I called him yesterday, to be informed that he still hasn't gotten to my stuff yet. Lovely. When I dropped it off 15 days ago now, he told me it'd be done in about a week. Lies, man. Lies. I can't rush him though, I don't want a half-assed job done on my stuff.

Does anyone know off-hand the diameter brake lines I should be ordering, and what style of flare? Maybe I'll order that later today. Some of that fancy copper/nickel line that is super nice to work with and bend,

EShepherd

« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2021, 02:47:38 PM »

I've got a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing coming this Sunday. Figured I'll take apart that fuel injector harness, and re-do it the proper way. It's going to get far too hot where that sits to be comfortable with a half-assed wiring job. The last thing I want is to lose an injector. Guaranteed lean condition, and I'm not trying to prematurely kill this engine I've spent so much time rebuilding.

As far as the brake lines, I think I'm going to hold off on that. I'm going to start pulling the bumper and front fenders, then attacking this rust with the wire wheel to see just how severe it is. I REALLY don't want to try to figure out the logistics of hiding another car behind the fence here, but if this chassis is as far gone as I suspect it is, it might just come to that. Sorry I haven't called you yet Rocket, I'm still on the fence about how I want to go about doing this. My truck is full of engine parts (so I can't use it to tow at the moment) and I have no room for another car. If this body is beyond repair, I'll have to figure something out. Expect some gory, tragic, disgusting, rust-filled pictures soon.

Shit, maybe I'll just build a tube-frame chassis and do a fwd Exocet type deal...I've got VIN plates and everything to make it street legal(ish).

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2021, 08:33:50 PM »

Give me a call, please, would really like to discuss some things with you

This is the brake line I bought, they have some fittings too: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N48HFLN
The capri uses 3/16" brake line. You will need at least 2x 25' if you are doing all the lines

The flares are bubble flare, this tool can do both and it's exceedingly handy and maneuverable: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPRVCPV
It can do both bubble and inverted flares
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2021, 04:37:22 PM »

So I've started pulling apart my rear suspension after our conversation, to see what sort of condition it is in and how much (if any of it) can be re-used. I pulled off the strut assemblies, hub/knuckle assemblies, and trailing arms.

Am I correct in my assumption here that the entire rear subframe, complete with both sides' double wishbones and the sway bar (and endlinks), can all be removed as one assembly? It looks like I'd have to take the brake lines off, or just cut them, but that's not a big deal.

As far as the condition of the parts I've removed....it's bad. The backing plates are basically non-existent, which is just fantastic seeing as the caliper bridges' bolt onto them. Speaking of calipers, the LR bleeder snapped off with next to no force. I'd have to assume the RR one will do the same. I've found rebuild kits, and replacement pistons, but no replacement/rebuilt calipers. Are they out there? I've tried drilling out the bleeder so I could tap in a slightly bigger thread and replace it with a larger bleeder, but it is a slow and painful process. The RR caliper was also locked up, so on the whole, I'd rather just replace them. The spindles and knuckles seem to be okay, and the bearings were okay too (although I'll probably just replace them). The trailing arms are pretty rough, but I can likely refurbish them. However, the bushings in both of them (both bushings) are trashed. Any idea if replacements for those are floating around? If not, I bet I could measure them and find some other bushing from some other car that'd work, but that sounds like a pain in the ass.

The struts are relatively okay, other than the mounts. They are the OEM ones though, or at least OEM replacement. They've got a Ford logo stamped into them. In all honesty, I'll probably reuse them for now. Until I figure out a coil-over solution. I'll need new mounts, bump stops, and bellows for them, but Rock Auto has them for a decent enough price.

Can't wait to see how buggered the rest of the rear suspension is, and the front on top of that. I MIGHT be starting to have a tad bit of buyers remorse at this point  :-X Hopefully it'll all be worth it in the end.

EShepherd

« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2021, 05:00:41 PM »

Here's the intake manifold back together, minus the wiring harness. And my progress so far on re-doing my hatchet job on the harness the first time around. This is definitely better.

Subframe back in place. It looks very out of place now, it's the only remotely clean thing in that engine bay. For now. Also, I found this EXTREMELY old hide-a-key behind the FL fog light. The car was one owner before me, so he must've placed it there back in '91 and forgotten about it.

The rear suspension as it sits now, complete with the caliper that is currently making my question my abilities as an automotive technician.

So that's what is left in the car of the rear end. I'm fairly sure I can just move those jack stands, remove the four bolts, and drop the entirety of it out of the car....right?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2021, 08:50:55 AM »

I'm afraid my brakes are going to look like that when I try to change them. I've already discovered that bleeders are full of rust.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »

Well guys, shitty status update for you. I just got back a positive Covid test. That's probably going to put the brakes on this project for a little while.

Sorry Matt, we're going to have to reschedule for a future date. Definitely can't leave the house for a while, sorry man.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2021, 10:26:23 PM »

Shit that's no good man, I hope your feeling alright!
I can't get over that rust man!  Looks like it was pulled out of the sea. I like the manifold as well really does look like something from NASA like rocket said!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32