TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52932 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2021, 08:00:47 AM »

Ooooooooooof. I've got a shell for you. Come get it

Are you serious?

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2021, 05:36:37 AM »

That rust is crazy! I got my Chineseium single ball baring turbo for $250aud and it's like new bearly used, sells new for $650aud and the dual ball bearing ones are only $750 have you seen boostedboiz on youtube, thay are making over 1000 horse power on these eBay turbos and they hold up too man, no need to spend big money for a garrett, this is the 3rd upgrade I've done on the turbo vj14 with vj11 comp wheel then a vf12 from a Subaru with the vj14 turbine wheel to keep it so it bolted up stock and this was a huge improvement over the vj14/11 but I wanted more so I went big! it's awesome man! Even the vf12 was about the size of a 2860 and in my eyes that's not enough, maybe a 2871 would be a good fit?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 05:41:11 AM by Aus Capri »

EShepherd

« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2021, 08:17:14 AM »

That rust is crazy! I got my Chineseium single ball baring turbo for $250aud and it's like new bearly used, sells new for $650aud and the dual ball bearing ones are only $750 have you seen boostedboiz on youtube, thay are making over 1000 horse power on these eBay turbos and they hold up too man, no need to spend big money for a garrett, this is the 3rd upgrade I've done on the turbo vj14 with vj11 comp wheel then a vf12 from a Subaru with the vj14 turbine wheel to keep it so it bolted up stock and this was a huge improvement over the vj14/11 but I wanted more so I went big! it's awesome man! Even the vf12 was about the size of a 2860 and in my eyes that's not enough, maybe a 2871 would be a good fit?

Still got that VJ11 compressor housing kicking around somewhere? I'll buy it, if shipping isn't nuts lol.

EShepherd

« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2021, 09:41:51 AM »

Also Rocket, if you're serious, I'll definitely come take your front fenders off your hands. And cut away your driver's side rear fender and take that home with me too.  :P Unless it's a rolling chassis, I guess I could tow away the whole deal. I'm really strapped for room for more cars here though. I believe we have 13 cars in various states of decay sitting on this little half acre property. It's bad. In my defense though, only 3 of those are mine.

Actually, on that note....there's a Buick Grand Sport and a legitimate Grand National here. The Gnx is totaled, due to the frame being bent. Everything under the hood should be salvageable though. Any idea if that turbo would be usable on the Capri? That would be insane.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2021, 11:59:51 AM »

Yea man I've still got the 11 housing and a near new billet comp wheel to go with it. The billet wheel is slightly taller than the stock vj11 wheel and moves slightly more air too! I'm my eyes it's not much of an upgrade though. I still have the vf12 I was running sitting here too, it bolts straight into the vj14 rear housing because it has a vj14 shaft in it. The vf12 CRHA on the hot side bolts straight up with the vj14 rear housing after swapping it to my vj14 shaft (the turbine wheel is bigger on the vf12 and the vj14 housing needs to be machined to take it, if you want to run the bigger turbine wheel)  the compressor side of the CRHA is different to the vj14 and vj11 it takes the bigger comp wheel and larger compressor housing. It's not balenced though I never had any issues with it and it ran 20psi for about a year, probably only a few thousand miles.

I'll  take some pics for you on the next few days so you can have a look.

The VF12 is a pretty good upgrade in my opinion. The vj11 wheel is only a tiny bit bigger than the vj14, it is a noticeable upgrade though the vf12 is quite a bit bigger and is very noticeable as an upgrade. May require bpt injectors to offer up a bit more fuel but they are pretty cheap, I got my set for $50AUD

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2021, 12:06:56 PM »

If your gonna play around with turbo upgrades and turning up the boost I would really recommend you invest in a wideband 02 sensor and gauge, I would have blown it up for sure if I didn't have one! It's really worth it!

BTW I'm keen as to find out what the flyin miata thing is 🤔 your build has cliff hangers 😂

EShepherd

« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2021, 08:50:22 PM »

If your gonna play around with turbo upgrades and turning up the boost I would really recommend you invest in a wideband 02 sensor and gauge, I would have blown it up for sure if I didn't have one! It's really worth it!

BTW I'm keen as to find out what the flyin miata thing is 🤔 your build has cliff hangers 😂

Don't worry, a wideband is on the list (long list) of things I'll be doing. Also, I got the last of the parts I've been waiting for in this afternoon. The wifey is off work tomorrow, so I have ALL DAY to work on the car. I'll hopefully have some good pictures up tomorrow. The dang machinist has had the block and crank for 10 days now. *sigh* One week, knew it was too good to be true.

Also, if you look at the last several pics I took, you'll see what I got from Flyin Miata. I didn't realize it had snuck into the pictures until it was too late lol.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2021, 11:24:24 PM »

I found the Easter egg! Arp Head studs!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2021, 03:11:27 AM »

Also Rocket, if you're serious, I'll definitely come take your front fenders off your hands. And cut away your driver's side rear fender and take that home with me too.  :P Unless it's a rolling chassis, I guess I could tow away the whole deal. I'm really strapped for room for more cars here though. I believe we have 13 cars in various states of decay sitting on this little half acre property. It's bad. In my defense though, only 3 of those are mine.

Actually, on that note....there's a Buick Grand Sport and a legitimate Grand National here. The Gnx is totaled, due to the frame being bent. Everything under the hood should be salvageable though. Any idea if that turbo would be usable on the Capri? That would be insane.

It's a rolling chassis with solid rockers, rear 1/4's, and floor. I PM'd you, give me a call.
GNX even with a bent frame should be worth a pretty penny, there's so few left someone will be willing to put it on a frame machine to bring it back to life.

The turbo on the GNX is even older tech than what the Capri had, hah
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2021, 07:56:15 AM »

Yeah the GNX belongs to my father in law. He's....well he isn't a good person. If I showed you guys the state of these cars he's hoarding, you'd probably show up with pitch forks and torches, it's criminal.

Anyways, awesome. I'll give you a call later today.

EShepherd

« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2021, 01:23:46 PM »

Quick status update. Still working, just taking a minute to make some coffee. Figured I'd throw up some pictures. First off, all the new parts (with part numbers!):

So these are from Flyin' Miata. ARP head studs, apparently a custom part for FM specifically for the Miata. They seem like normal head studs to me, but whatever. I'm pretty glad I talked myself into grabbing these.

Here is the Gate's timing kit, plus both sizes of core plugs. Steel, not brass. Tragic, I know...

Turbo gasket set, throttle body gasket, and a new O2 sensor. The old one is probably still good, but hey. $20ish bucks for some peace of mind.

Spark plug wires, an oil filter, and a Gates thermostat. The plug wires are red, which I'm fairly upset about. Ah well.

Gates water pump. The old one is fine, but again...I'm already in there. Why not change it out now?

Beck and Arnley fuel injector O-Rings and seals. There seems to be one additional rubber seal in there than what I pulled off the Capri's rail. Spare parts, I guess? Anyways, these are for a Miata. They should work, I hope.

Then, here's the progress so far on the "subframe":

It's kind of cold out today, so I might hold off on painting it until it's warmer. Usually it doesn't matter, but the rubberized undercoating takes for-freaking-ever to cure if it's cold out. The frame on my truck took probably three weeks to cure...granted I sprayed that in November in New York. I dunno, maybe I'll hit it with the paint today. That's provided I can finish getting the old paint and rust off of it before it gets dark out.

I'm still hunting for some engine mounts for this thing, if anyone's got any ideas of where to look.

EShepherd

« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2021, 07:48:36 PM »

Hey guys, I did a little whoopsie. I seem to have lost all of the pictures I took of my turbo before I took it apart. Now I can't remember how all the plumbing goes back on. I also can't find any pictures or diagrams in the service manual. Can anyone either point me to the correct page, or put up some pictures of all the oil lines and whatnot going in and out of their turbo? Thanks.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2021, 07:50:10 PM »

I have some ancient pictures on my website that might help: https://werbatfik.com/progress.htm
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2021, 07:42:05 AM »

Thanks, that should be good enough to get me back on track. Much appreciated. I like how not only were both your axles broken where both my axles are broken, but also your clutch cable. Same cracks in exhaust manifold, same grime on the subframe....man, these car's are predictable, eh?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »

I have some ancient pictures on my website that might help: https://werbatfik.com/progress.htm

Interesting website.
Jack Byrd
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32