TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 53702 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2021, 07:49:03 AM »

EXCELLENT!
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2021, 12:48:46 PM »

Cleaning has been completed on the head. As soon as my oil shows up, I'll be starting the assembly. I need the oil to soak my valve stem seals. My new HLA's should show up tomorrow, so I'm hoping by tomorrow evening I'll have the head back together.  8)

It's not spotless, or even all that clean, but it's good enough for me. It's just going to get nasty again within a few thousand miles, if that.

EDIT:
-------
The oil is here. The viton valve stem seals are soaking, as per the factory service manual. I've got to take my son to a doctors appointment at 3:30 for his 15 month checkup, but once I'm back home from that, the reassembly can finally commence!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:14:19 PM by EShepherd »

EShepherd

« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »

Alright, the cheap Chineseium valve spring compressor works! A little dab of Vaseline on the end of a tiny flat head screwdriver to hold the keepers, another tiny dab inside of the keeper to stick it to the valve, and viola! This isn't nearly as horrifyingly frustrating as I expected it to be.

One down, 15 more to go  ::). My HLA's should show up today, which is perfect timing. I should be able to let them soak overnight, and install them tomorrow.

UPDATE:
----------
Amazon changed the expected ship date to May 2nd. Wow. So I cancelled that, and ordered a set of HLA's off of Rockauto, with expediated shipping. I won't have them until Monday, and I spent twice as much money. Fan-freaking-tastic.

I do have a question about the lifters. Do I want them to be squishy, or do I want them to not be squishy, when I install them? I can't for the life of me remember. I know the last time I did an engine with hydraulic lifters, the set I ordered had a few that didn't do what they were supposed to after soaking them, which forced me to reuse some of the old ones. I don't want to run into that issue again. I just can't recall if they are supposed to be able to be actuated by hand or not after soaking.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:30:32 PM by EShepherd »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2021, 01:07:21 AM »

They pump up with pressurized oil. I don't think it's really possible to get them to fill with oil prior to installation, but you might be able to pull them apart and lube the piston/bore inside.

Great to see the valve spring compressor worked.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2021, 12:25:33 PM »

Well, whilst stuck in waiting on parts limbo, I had to find something to do to occupy myself. This is after all a build thread for the entire car, not just the engine, so let's switch tracks here, shall we? On disassembly, I absolutely destroyed a bunch of the connectors on the fuel injector harness. Here's how the fuel injector connectors and harness looked:

Well, here's the part number for the replacements I got, as well as how the harness looks now.

Now, I've got a few other connectors that need replacing, that I can not find part numbers for. One is the big round plug, the other two look very similar to the injector pigtails. In fact, there's a decent chance one of them IS the same connector. The other one is very similar, except the cut-away is on the opposite side. Can anyone help me figure out the part numbers for these, or what they go to so that I can try to find the replacements? I'm pretty sure one goes to the idle air controller, but I'm not so sure on the other. I don't know what to look-up for the large round one, either. I could probably replace the big one with a generic weather-pack connector with the correct number of pins, but if I can find a direct replacement, that'll make my life a bit easier.

This is the big round one.

Here's the smaller two.

And a close-up of the smaller ones. If you look at the bottoms, you can see the cut-away is on opposite sides.

I'd appreciate any help tracking down replacements. I could probably make these ones work, but I don't want to have to be constantly worried about them vibrating themselves apart. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2021, 06:19:21 PM »

You might have some luck on Rockauto, there's an entire section for Capri electrical connectors:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercury,1991,capri,1.6l+l4+turbocharged,1196636,electrical-connector

Looks like some of them might not be for our car but there's plenty that are

EShepherd

« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2021, 06:39:51 PM »

You might have some luck on Rockauto, there's an entire section for Capri electrical connectors:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercury,1991,capri,1.6l+l4+turbocharged,1196636,electrical-connector

Looks like some of them might not be for our car but there's plenty that are

Yeah I've looked through every picture of every connector on there already, I couldn't find the ones I still need unfortunately.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2021, 05:41:05 AM »

I dono where you would get new connectors from, though I did see the injector loom for sale on ebay aus last week, I think it was 30aud about 24usd dono if this helps at all

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2021, 05:46:35 AM »

Just looked again it was 50AUD about 40USD and has the injectors too here's the link if it helps. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-CAPRI-CONVERTIBLE-USED-SET-OF-TURBO-INJECTORS-LOOM-SUIT-ALL-1989-1994-/254925368434?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2021, 05:49:52 AM »

I also know a guy here in Sydney who sells capri/323 parts and has a garage packed with stuff, he's a good guy as well goes by the user name fosgate on the laser 323 forum. I can try get his email for anyone who wants it. I know your in the USA but if you get stuck it's an option

EShepherd

« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2021, 08:14:12 AM »

Just looked again it was 50AUD about 40USD and has the injectors too here's the link if it helps. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-CAPRI-CONVERTIBLE-USED-SET-OF-TURBO-INJECTORS-LOOM-SUIT-ALL-1989-1994-/254925368434?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Hey thanks for the link. Unfortunately, that harness doesn't look to be in any better condition than mine. Likewise with the injectors.  I'll probably just reuse mine, and use tape and zipties to hold the broken connectors together. I'm still on the fence about replacing my injectors or not. I might just try and clean them, I'm not sure. $140 for fuel injectors is pretty steep. I'll keep your other friend with the shop in mind though, if I manage to brake anything else that's hard to replace.

EShepherd

« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2021, 11:12:32 AM »

Big day today, guys. I've finally, after about 100 hours of labor, finished reassembling the cylinder head. Just to summarize, here is all that I've done to this thing: Gasket matched, ported, and polished both the intake and exhaust runners, polished the combustion chambers, freshly hand-lapped the valves, brand new hydraulic lash adjusters, new viton valve stem seals, new camshaft seals, and new double platinum Bosch spark plugs. This work is cheap financially, but very labor intensive. If you've got shallow pockets but lots of time to kill, this is absolutely work you should consider doing. I doubt it'll result in drastic performance improvement, but in theory it should allow the head to flow quite a bit better. The new seals throughout should allow me to run this thing for many years to come without having to worry about it. The new HLA's should hopefully prevent the infamously obnoxious B6 engine lifter noise. Without further ado:

So next up on the menu will be finding a machinist to clean and hone my block. Ideally, I'll be able to get that done and back to me this weekend. After that, it's assembly time. Everything to put the engine fully back together is ready, including new timing components, water pump, etc. After that, I've got a bit of work left on the intake and exhaust manifolds. I also plan to at least clean the engine bay, if not paint it satin black as well. Once all that is taken care of, I can finally put the thing back in the car. I've never heard the car run, but I'm getting closer every day. Ah...I need to build an exhaust still, too. Just something to quiet it down while I break it in and start it for the first time. That shouldn't be too difficult. I might even just cobble together what is left of the factory exhaust, at least for that purpose. But I digress, this is a good day, A major hurdle has just been crossed, and I'm extremely happy about it.

Edit:
------
Just wanted to add this in real quickly. I just made an appointment at the machine shop, to drop off the block and crank tomorrow. They said they should be able to get to it within a week or so. I'm just having the block hot tanked and honed, and the crank polished. I also just made a nice little order with Flyin' Miata for....something. We'll keep that a surprise for now. When that part arrives, I'll put up some pictures of that as well as all the other new parts that are sitting in the back of my truck, waiting for their day.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:14:19 PM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2021, 08:30:50 PM »

Very, very nice. You didn't mention cam bearings, what kind of cam bearings does it have?
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2021, 08:41:50 PM »

Very, very nice. You didn't mention cam bearings, what kind of cam bearings does it have?

It doesn't have cam bearings. The cam just rides on machined surfaces in the head and cam caps. Unless I'm missing something major here lol. I didn't take any out, and the service manual doesn't make any mention of bearings. I just squirted some assembly lube down...now you've got me questioning everything.  :o :o

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2021, 12:46:35 AM »

The cams ride in the head casting in simple journals, each journal has an oil passage for lubrication. Nice and simple. No bearing inserts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32