TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52843 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2021, 07:46:58 AM »

Thanks Wolf! I'm so close to putting this back together, I just ordered a valve spring compressor tool. I'm not trying to do the socket & deadblow trick to install the keepers. Never again.

Good idea.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »

I mean, it worked well enough taking them off. Last car I built, which was probably about 8 years ago now, was an NA Miata that I built for rallycross. I did the socket and dead blow thing when I put the new valvetrain in. Easily the most frustrating experience of my entire life. It probably took me a solid 12 hours just to get the dang keepers back in. Hopefully, the tool I ordered should do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4J094J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I got. It's pretty cheap, and it's designed for ATV's and bikes and whatnot, but these valves are so small that I figure it should work well enough. I just hope the c-clamp fits around the head. Has anyone got experience with this type of valve spring compressor? I've only used the ones that are meant for old school V8's, which I'm fairly certain would not work on DOHC cylinder heads.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2021, 01:04:37 AM »

The tool you've posted should work as long as you have the clearance around the head.

I made this tool for valvesprings, based on a design I saw for the Miata ages ago. It bolts in place of the cam caps, and uses a screw/bolt to depress a cage onto the keeper. It's a casting + machined piece. You could probably whip something similar up with your welder if needed

I've lent this tool out before, I'd be willing to again if it can come back in a reasonable time frame. An option at least.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2021, 07:05:39 AM »

You never fail to amaze.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2021, 07:13:43 AM »

Agreed! That's fantastic. I'll hold out hope that this tool I ordered works. If for some reason it doesn't, and I can't copy your design, I may well be in touch.

EDIT:
-------
Unrelated, but have any of you guys used the Permatex valve lapping compound?  It says on the back of the tube that if you mix it with a little water, you can decrease the amount of gritti-ness in it, essentially changing it from something like 120# to 240# or whatever. Has anyone tried this? I've finished lapping the valves without mixing in water. The valves themselves look much better, as do the intake seats. However, the exhaust seats, which were more rough to begin with, are still fairly rough looking. I was debating giving them all a second pass, but then I saw that note on the back of the tube. Do you think it'd be worthwhile to mix up a slightly finer batch of compound, and go back over all 16 valves again?

2nd EDIT:
------------
My valve spring compressor showed up. I haven't tried to use it yet, but it sure looks like the C-clamp is big enough to wrap around the head.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:57:39 AM by EShepherd »

EShepherd

« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2021, 06:39:18 PM »

It's been a while since I posted some pictures up here. I haven't gotten too much work done lately, life has been fairly busy. I did just finish lapping in the valves, finally. For anyone who may happen across this thread one day, here's some useful information. I had previously asked if it was worth it to mix the Permatex lapping compound with water to make it a higher grit, and then take the time to lap all the valves a second time. It is ABSOLUTELY worth the effort of fighting that damn lapping handle for another 16 valves. The pictures here don't really do it justice. I thought the seats and valves looked good after the first pass. After the second, I was blown away. I have zero doubts that these valves will seal perfectly. Trust me, I know it's a pain in the *** to use the suction cup valve lapping tool. I know you aren't going to want to go over them all again once you're done. Just do it. You'll thank me. Your cylinder head will thank me. Anyways, onto the pictures...

The valve on the right has been lapped once, without mixing in any water. The valve on the left is not lapped at all, and has only been cleaned with a brass wire wheel on a bench grinder. It's a significant improvement.

The top right intake valve seat here has been lapped once, the rest not at all. See the difference?

There's both intake seats done.

Here is where you can see the difference between one pass and two passes. The intake valve (the larger one) has had it's second pass with a higher grit lapping compound. The photograph barely does it justice. The difference is night and day.

Same deal here. The top left seat has gotten two passes, the rest just one.

And a close up of the difference. The intake seat has been done twice, the exhaust seat once.

That brings me to the last picture. We are getting REALLY close to reassembly time, folks. Here's my little check list of what is left to do before the engine finally starts to go back together. It's just a few more hours of labor.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:41:06 PM by EShepherd »

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2021, 09:32:35 PM »

Looks good man, how many times did the tool slip off the valve?  ;) I did this about a year ago to my old head and it drove me insane, especially testing the seal with water in the combustion chamber and compressed air blown from inside the ports I had each valve in and out about 10 times testing and then lapping more. All done with the socket dead blow method. This time I sent the head to the shop never again!

EShepherd

« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2021, 07:50:48 AM »

I hate the lapping handles. So, so much. The intake valves went perfectly fine. The exhaust valves, not so much. I probably had to restick the thing to each valve 20 times. Tried using brake clean, water, acetone, rags, coffee filters, and blood sacrifices. Nothing made it stick better.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2021, 07:58:21 AM »

I've always had my valves done at the machine shop. Had a friend that ran one and even did it myself sometime. Wonder what the difference is in the final product.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2021, 08:12:47 AM »

I've always had my valves done at the machine shop. Had a friend that ran one and even did it myself sometime. Wonder what the difference is in the final product.

The only engine I've ever had head work done at a shop for was the RB26DETT in my old '91 R32. Other than that, I've always done the head stuff myself. Then again, I've never needed any major work done to a head besides on that one, which I had the seats cut out for bigger valves on. The thing with head work is that it's extremely time consuming, which means expensive. Seeing as I'm a frugal man, that's not gonna work for me. Besides, I've done this a few times now. Enough where I'd like to think I'd know if something wasn't right. I guess we'll see in a month or two when I fire this one up for the first time.

EDIT:
------
I pulled apart a couple of the lifters, and they are NASTY. I bit the bullet and ordered a new set. Should be here on Thursday. They were only about $70.00, and available on Amazon of all places. Hopefully by the end of this weekend, I'll have the head back together.

SECOND EDIT:
-----------------
Well shit, I went on a little shopping spree. I'm close enough to the finish line that I decided it's time to order the rest of the crap that I'm going to need to finish up this engine. Here's what's coming:
1. 4x Bosch Spark Plugs
2. A Gates Water Pump
3. A Gates Thermostat
4. A Gates Timing Belt Kit (The belt, tensioners, and spring)
5. 4x SKP Fuel Injector Connectors (I destroyed them when pulling the engine. Ooops)
6, A Standard Motor Products Spark Plug Wire Set
7. 5 quarts of Amazon Basics conventional 5w30 oil

I'm just going to run the cheap oil for the first 1000 miles or so as a break in oil, then switch over to a higher quality, probably full synthetic, oil. Questions for you guys, though. What oil do you run? What weight? The sticker under the hood lists like 20 different viscosities for varying temperature ranges, and is pretty confusing. I just went with the safe bet. Also, should I run a zinc additive or anything for the break in? I know it's not a flat tappet setup, but I've heard it can really help with seating in the rings. I usually splurge and get some fancy break-in specific oil, but that seemed pretty overkill for a 136hp stock engine rebuild. I'm leaving the boost amount alone until it's broken in. Thoughts?

THIRD EDIT:
--------------
Sorry for all the edits guys. Does anyone know anyplace other than Summit where I can get the ARP head studs? Their are back ordered for too long. I see Flyin' Miata has them, but they want $150 for them which is frankly ridiculous. They are also a different part number on there. I'll do it if I have to, but I'm not even sure those ones will work.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:05:39 AM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »

Prior to a B6, had only worked on American V8's and the valves and seats didn't hold up as well on them as these engines. When I did the B6, I couldn't believe how nice the valves and seats were.
Jack Byrd

Skunkwrkz

• 84' Porsche 928, 88' RX7 V8, 95 M3, 02 Celica GTS
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2021, 09:52:42 AM »

"In addition to all of that, the only real modification I have planned is to replace a bunch of the bushings in the car with poly bushings. I was planning on making my own, since I can't seem to find much in the way of aftermarket. I'd like to add some chasis bracing too, but again that'll probably all have to be custom. I can't even find front and rear strut tower bars. That's okay though, I do enjoy fabrication work."

There are many suspension parts still available for our chassis. You can use the BF Mazda bushings from the 323 for starters.
I have replaced most of the bushings and can help you with part numbers. Ultra Racing makes Strut bars, front and rear lower tie bars, Front and Rear Anti-Sway Bars and quality is good. I also have a 4pt double hoop roll bar from the Porsche 986 that easily welds in for extra rigidity and safety if that interests you. There's more I can turn you on to, but that's a good start.

EShepherd

« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2021, 01:17:39 PM »

"In addition to all of that, the only real modification I have planned is to replace a bunch of the bushings in the car with poly bushings. I was planning on making my own, since I can't seem to find much in the way of aftermarket. I'd like to add some chasis bracing too, but again that'll probably all have to be custom. I can't even find front and rear strut tower bars. That's okay though, I do enjoy fabrication work."

There are many suspension parts still available for our chassis. You can use the BF Mazda bushings from the 323 for starters.
I have replaced most of the bushings and can help you with part numbers. Ultra Racing makes Strut bars, front and rear lower tie bars, Front and Rear Anti-Sway Bars and quality is good. I also have a 4pt double hoop roll bar from the Porsche 986 that easily welds in for extra rigidity and safety if that interests you. There's more I can turn you on to, but that's a good start.

That's fantastic news! I'd love part numbers for the bushings and the strut bars. I don't need the roll hoop bar, I've got a cage guy who owes me a favor (if I even go that route with it). I appreciate the help.

EShepherd

« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2021, 01:58:26 PM »

Today, a bunch of the parts got a bubble bath. Everything is ready to go back together now except for the head itself, which I haven't the first idea how to clean. I'm just going to do what I can, and then start putting the thing back together. I can't get too far until at least Thursday though, which I think is when the new lifters should show up.

Skunkwrkz

• 84' Porsche 928, 88' RX7 V8, 95 M3, 02 Celica GTS
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »

That's fantastic news! I'd love part numbers for the bushings and the strut bars. I don't need the roll hoop bar, I've got a cage guy who owes me a favor (if I even go that route with it). I appreciate the help.

I'll dig it all up. Just remember to start spraying the rear linkage, control arms and any suspension you want to replace and be liberal about it. The longer you can let it sit the better. I'll look up stuff tonight. Interesting thread. Nice to see others posting on here again. It's been a little while for me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32