General > Build Threads

'91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod

<< < (2/96) > >>

EShepherd:
So, I finally finished up with my first cleaning of the connecting rods, caps, wrist pins, circlips, and pistons. They still aren't as clean as I'd like them to be, but it's certainly a good start.

I finally got the beating heart of the whole deal free from her home of the last 30-odd years. I didn't have the time yesterday to really sit down and inspect it, but from my cursory glance, everything checks out. I'd love to get the thing lightened up, maybe knife edge the counter weights....but I don't have the mountains of money I'd need to pay a machinist to do that. Ah well. My only real plan here is to try and polish up the main and rod journals, and give her a very deep cleaning - both inside and out.

After pulling the crankshaft out, this is the sight that I was met with. If you look towards the front of the engine from the #4 cylinder oil squirter, you'll see a pretty sizeable hole. The edges of it are pretty dang rough; I'm not sure if that's just shitty casting flash, or if that's from a piece of the block itself being broken off. Is that hole supposed to even be there? Is it a drain-back up to the cylinder head.....or do I have a massive hole in my block???!!! I'm hoping it's supposed to be there; I'd have to imagine that if there was that catastrophic of a failure, I'd be seeing way more damage. However, this is my first time opening up this engine specifically, so I honestly have no idea. Can someone PLEASE tell me if that hole is supposed to be there? I'm not ordering any parts until I know....and I'm at the stage of the build where my next step is ordering parts. Ughhhhh.

Rocketman:
Yes, I believe that's an oil drain from the head to the oilpan.

EShepherd:
Thanks for the reply Rocket, that is fantastic news. I was very worried there.

I've got another question for you guys. Are the head bolts, main bolts, and rod bolts all torque to yield? Or am I able to reuse them? The service manual doesn't make any mention of having to replace them (that I've seen, at least). I don't want to spend a bunch of money on fasteners if I can avoid it, no matter how much I love ARP head studs. It does mention to replace the copper washers that are below and above the oil squirters. Is there anything special about them, or can I just go grab a set of copper washers from the parts store for brake hoses and similar?

ZJCapri91:

--- Quote from: EShepherd on February 08, 2021, 10:54:45 AM ---Thanks for the reply Rocket, that is fantastic news. I was very worried there.

I've got another question for you guys. Are the head bolts, main bolts, and rod bolts all torque to yield? Or am I able to reuse them? The service manual doesn't make any mention of having to replace them (that I've seen, at least). I don't want to spend a bunch of money on fasteners if I can avoid it, no matter how much I love ARP head studs. It does mention to replace the copper washers that are below and above the oil squirters. Is there anything special about them, or can I just go grab a set of copper washers from the parts store for brake hoses and similar?

--- End quote ---

I have done the head gasket for my car, and reused the head bolts with no issues. I would say that unless the head bolts look stretched, you can use them again. Not sure about the others though...

Rocketman:
They are not torque-to-yield. That said I'm not sure how many cycles I would use them. I think on several of my engines I have re-used them once

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version