TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod  (Read 52883 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: '91 Capri XR-2 Resto-Mod
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2021, 06:48:39 PM »

I'm thinking that's a very good price, especiall since it's an improved version on the OE.

Well awesome. Depending on how mine turn out, I think I'll offer that as a service. I'd also be totally down to do cylinder head work for folks, too. I really enjoyed doing all that porting and polishing. I've been debating advertising for that on Craigslist in my area. It should be the same idea for any four cylinder engine, but I figured I'd keep it to DOHC Japanese engines for now.

If anyone on here needs head/block work though, hit me up. I'd love to help out.

Anyways, Saturdays are fairly slow at my job. My next update should be then. I plan on bringing that transmission in with me, tossing it in the parts washer, and then reassembling it. Should be fairly straightforward, other than that fifth gear that I apparently wasn't supposed to take apart  :o Ah well, if it has to be a four speed for a while, so be it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2021, 08:04:40 PM »

Dude, that old chassis is trashed man, holy hell. The pictures are the tip of the iceburg too, to cut that back to clean metal you'd have to remove half the car. Shame.
The 5th gear assembly has that little extra thin gear on there, it's related to the reverse gear, so I think you'll need to pop that back on
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #212 on: August 22, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »

Well, I've got my parts guys at work trying to track down a new fifth gear assembly (just in case I can't get this one back together), as well as new axle seals. Now that I've got access to people with dealership connections, I'm hoping I'll be able to get my hands on some hard to find OEM Ford parts.

Anyways, I started the assembly process yesterday. I had to use the 20-ton press to get the output shaft bearing race pressed back into the case, which is bizarre since it literally fell out of the case when I was taking everything apart. I did manage to get the case halves fairly cleaned up, but it's not perfect. We apparently don't have a parts washer. Why the dealership hasn't got one, I couldn't tell you. Seems stupid to me. How do these guys do stuff like oil pan and valve cover gaskets? Are they not cleaning off the parts while they're off? That seems pretty damn lazy to me, especially since its a dealer, with dealer pricing. I'm going to have to buy my own, if I end up staying here. For what they charge people, I can't half-ass jobs like that. Just isn't cool.

Annnnnyways, getting off topic a bit there. I cleaned it as best as I could with brake cleaner and wire brushes, and hit the gasket and sealing surfaces with the white Rolox discs. Got the bearing races pressed in, the differential reinstalled, and started assembling the input/output shafts & their forks. The gear selector mechanism is back in, too. The whole thing is quite complicated, and of course I lost the notes I took when I moved my box. I just printed off the tranny rebuild section of the wayback machine service manual, so next time I get some free time to work on it, I'll hopefully make a bit more progress than I did yesterday.

On a semi-related topic, any of you guys ever hear of someone welding up the differential gears in a FWD car, like some people do in RWD applications? Like, putting a plate over the spider gears and welding them together with the plate. Part of me thinks it'd be a cheap and easy way to get a not-open differential, but part of me thinks its a terrible idea. It causes wheel-hop in the back....can't imagine what that'd be like on the axle that does the steering. I'm leaning towards it being a terrible decision, but let me know if I'm wrong. If it won't make cornering impossible, I'd probably try it out. I plan to get an LSD down the line anyway.

Here's the two pictures I took. Sorry, totally forgot to take more. Just a quick before and after on the cleaning. I still need to do the outside of the bigger case half, but the smaller piece is done and the insides of both are done. World of difference. Gotta love having access to a 55 gallon drum of brake cleaner  8)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #213 on: August 22, 2021, 03:40:15 PM »

I can only imagine how bad the handling would be with the wheels not able to rotate independently.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #214 on: August 22, 2021, 06:35:33 PM »

I can only imagine how bad the handling would be with the wheels not able to rotate independently.

Yeah, that's about what I suspected. I figured it might not be too bad at highway-ish speeds, but anything under 30mph or so, it'd probably be damn near un-drivable. Silly question, but I figured I might as well float the thought out there while I still have super easy access to the differential. I don't particularly want to take this thing apart again, but I don't really want to put a $1200 LSD into a transmission for a car I've still never even driven yet. Ah well

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2021, 07:23:36 AM »

Yeah, that's about what I suspected. I figured it might not be too bad at highway-ish speeds, but anything under 30mph or so, it'd probably be damn near un-drivable. Silly question, but I figured I might as well float the thought out there while I still have super easy access to the differential. I don't particularly want to take this thing apart again, but I don't really want to put a $1200 LSD into a transmission for a car I've still never even driven yet. Ah well

For a drag racer I imagine it would be okay but the scrubbing when you get to the end of the track would probably wear out tires as bad as the burn out.....lol
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2021, 09:26:09 PM »

Yes, a welded front diff would be terrible, it would not want to turn at all. I'm sure there are videos on youtube where this behavior is shown.

While you have the diff out, you could throw a spot weld on the rollpin that retains the spider gear carrier pin, this will not keep the spiders from galling to the shaft during a one-wheel wonder but it will keep the spider carrier pin from being flung out of the transmission case when they do gall
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2021, 03:19:11 PM »

Couple of updates, nothing major.

So the new chassis was missing a few things under the hood. Some electrical stuff, the washer fluid bottle was broken, etc. Just little stuff. It also has shot wheel bearings up front. So, I swapped over all that stuff. Minus the front right suspension. Mine is rusted/seized onto the white car, so I'm going to need to bring home my giant impact gun, and probably my air hammer, to finish swapping that over. I also finally got around to swapping the soft-top cover over, so now the two-tone job it totally complete. All of the body panels are in their final spots.

Then I decided, maybe if it looked closer to a running and driving car, maybe I'll be more motivated to work on it whenever I see it. The new chassis has been missing some of those silly little gray side molding bits, and it drives me insane. See?

Well, I finally got around to prying them off the junk chassis, and attaching them to the new one. I used 3M spray adhesive. The stuff works amazingly well. While I was at it, I decided to do the first normal car owner type of thing to the car. I actually cleaned it. The thing was NASTY. It's still not exactly pretty, it's missing a ton of clearcoat, but hey. It's at least now in the form it'll be in when I start to daily drive the thing.

All I need to do now is finish putting the tranny together, finish rebuilding the wiring harness, get my engine back, rebuild that, and then put it all together. The list is getting shorter and shorter. Slowly, but hey. Progress.

UPDATE:
----------
I got the FR knuckle off, too. I gave up on taking off the control arm, since that's the part that has the nut thats absolutely ruined. I popped it off at the ball joint instead, and took just the knuckle on that side. I also took off both front struts, too. I figure once I've got the car all together and running, having spares to play with will be nice. I can try and figure out how to build a coilover out of the stock setup.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:41:51 PM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2021, 07:14:55 AM »

Just keep telling yourself it's a marathron, not a sprint....lol.  When you get ready member Ben Rogers has a lot of info on building those coil overs.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2021, 09:27:56 AM »

Sooooo today is the first day both I and my wife are off work on the same day, since I started my new job. This means I have unfettered ability to work on my car, without also needing to watch a small child hell bent on self-injury. Huzzah!

I just finished swapping over the front knuckles. I believe the last thing that needs done, before the new chassis is ready for it's drivetrain, is to swap the intercooler from the old chassis to the new. I believe I need to remove both front bumpers in order to do this, but I'm about to dig into the service manual to double check that. However, I'm nearly there. I've just left a voicemail with the machinist whom has my block, to let him know I'm ready to get it, regardless of if he's done the work or not. Hopefully he will call me tomorrow to tell me he has done it, and I can pick it up on Wednesday.

So, later on I'll transplant the intercooler. Later this week, I'll get my block back. It'll take me a few days to assemble that and install the head. I may take an extra few days to paint the block. Then I just need to finish rebuilding the transmission, mate that up, and install it. I'm getting close, guys.

Pictures later.

Edit:
-----
I did just order a ton of parts for our daily driver (our 2006 Altima), so when that stuff shows up, I'll need to sacrifice a day or two of Capri wrench time to do that. It's getting some love. New front knuckles, hubs, and wheel bearings, new front struts, new front lower control arms, and new rear shocks. Essentially, an entirely new suspension. At least that'll be an easy enough project.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 09:33:52 AM by EShepherd »

EShepherd

« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2021, 06:36:26 AM »

Good lord. What is the proper way to take out this intercooler? Fought that thing for a few hours yesterday before I got frustrated enough to give up. I've got the bumper off the old chassis, but one of the bolts for it on the passenger side is pretty damn difficult to get to. I don't really want to pull the bumper off the red car, either. Can it be installed without doing so? If not, I might just get a bigger universal one that I can mount from the engine side.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #221 on: September 07, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »

It's been a while but if I remember right the rear bumper is harder to remove than the front.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2021, 04:50:59 PM »

Well, two bits of news.

Finally got ahold of the worlds slowest machinist. My block and crank will be ready this Saturday. Only took the man 5 months to clean a block, hone 4 cylinders, and polish a crank. The plan is to go grab that on Wednesday of next week.

Second bit of news....I'm not getting that intercooler out. Screw it. I'm just gonna order a universal one, and a hose kit for it, off of Amazon or something. It's annoyingly difficult to get to, and it's so tiny anyways. I'd rather get something bigger (especially since I'm doing away with the AC, so the condenser delete frees up a little room) and mount it so that it can be installed/removed without pulling the bumper. It's such a chore taking them off these cars, I'd much prefer to never need to do it again. I've also decided I'm leaving the fog lights off the new chassis. I plan to use those openings as inlets for ducting to cool the front brakes, eventually. Once it's time to build it for the track.

I did remember I need to swap over my fuel pump. Thing looks pretty dang old. Anyone know of a drop in one I can buy? Just needs to match the factory flow rate, or whatever Rocket's chip requires. I'll be sticking with that for a while, so no need to future-proof the fuel system.

Aus Capri

• 1989 Capri Turbo
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2021, 01:29:33 AM »

I was lucky with my bumper somebody had had it off in the past and had only put back 4 of the main 6 bolts. Looking at it I have no idea how the other 2 bolts are ment to be removed or installed. If you can get it off it will make mounting the intercooler much easier and tidier I would imagine. With out those 2 impossible bolts my bumper is a breeze to take off! Good to see it all coming along man, I've been so busy lately I haven't really had a chance to comment and get involved, but I have been periodically checking what you have been up to. Good stuff man you put us all to shame with the exception of rocket man of course!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2021, 07:15:21 AM »

Rockauto has a bunch of fuel pumps. Use the discount for 5% off.
Jack Byrd
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32