TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nachius - Build Thread  (Read 5965 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Nachius - Build Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 06:52:42 AM »

Finally got the oil pan off to change the gasket, steps in another post, but possible to do from underneath.
Oil pickup/screen looks clean no metal and rods have little to no movement so bottom end seems solid
Also got the hole cut in the driver side for the intercooler piping to pass through

Have now received everything ordered except my RocketChiped ECU, but can start cleaning and putting everything back together very soon!

While you have the lower pan off, you should check for end-play in the crank. I know you have a '91, so you also want to see if you have the sort nose crank. IF your end-play is over spec, or even on the fat side of spec, now would be the time to replace your thrust washers. I honestly don't know if you can do it with the engine assembled and in the car, but I imagine it is possible. DEFINITELY take the time (& money, if you need to buy tools) to check it. I've built a couple of NA Miata's, which share the same engine architecture, and the manual transmission ones especially tended to have crank walk issues if pushed hard. If you have the short nose crank, it isn't the end of the world. Mine is also a short nose. There is a lot of information out there on things you can do to try and help prevent that potential failure, but this is what I did: I replaced the front crank bolt with an OEM Mazda one (it was only $15ish, plus or minus a two hour drive). I used blue (medium strength) thread locker when I installed it. I torqued it to spec, then I torqued it to spec again a week later when I was sure the loctite cured. That's all I felt I had to do after doing all my research, at least. You could do as little as nothing, and as much as a new crank and front case.

nachius

• formerly 91 n/a, now a 91 xr2 being built
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 03:10:03 PM »

Finally got the oil pan off to change the gasket, steps in another post, but possible to do from underneath.
Oil pickup/screen looks clean no metal and rods have little to no movement so bottom end seems solid
Also got the hole cut in the driver side for the intercooler piping to pass through

Have now received everything ordered except my RocketChiped ECU, but can start cleaning and putting everything back together very soon!

While you have the lower pan off, you should check for end-play in the crank. I know you have a '91, so you also want to see if you have the sort nose crank. IF your end-play is over spec, or even on the fat side of spec, now would be the time to replace your thrust washers. I honestly don't know if you can do it with the engine assembled and in the car, but I imagine it is possible. DEFINITELY take the time (& money, if you need to buy tools) to check it. I've built a couple of NA Miata's, which share the same engine architecture, and the manual transmission ones especially tended to have crank walk issues if pushed hard. If you have the short nose crank, it isn't the end of the world. Mine is also a short nose. There is a lot of information out there on things you can do to try and help prevent that potential failure, but this is what I did: I replaced the front crank bolt with an OEM Mazda one (it was only $15ish, plus or minus a two hour drive). I used blue (medium strength) thread locker when I installed it. I torqued it to spec, then I torqued it to spec again a week later when I was sure the loctite cured. That's all I felt I had to do after doing all my research, at least. You could do as little as nothing, and as much as a new crank and front case.

Thanks I know 2nd gen DSMs are notorious for crank walk, didn't even think about these 1.6s, but I will see if I can track down my dial gauge or buy a new one if I can't.  Makes total sense to check while it's cracked anyways thanks for the call out!

nachius

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2022, 01:21:13 PM »

Pulled my neck while at work out of state on 9/19 so haven't done much, getting better, but still not great.  Only thing I have done is "clean" the injectors.

Used this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VC37VRB?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
also had to buy an injector pigtail to plug these in.  Spray pattern looked fine to the eye test.  Will also be replacing all the injector O rings.

I hope my neck is good enough to get back at it this weekend as it's starting to get colder here in Ohio.

I also received my RocketChipped ECU back from Matt so that's all good and ready!

This weekend plans if the neck allows is finish cleaning surfaces for oil pan, Reinstall pan/gaskets and new crank seal and bolt.  After that will get started on the timing belt side of things and reinstalling the heads!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2022, 10:08:38 AM »

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you get to feeling better. The injector cleaner kit looks pretty cool. Good luck.
Jack Byrd

nachius

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2022, 07:49:00 PM »

Slowly, but surely back at it.  I was down for about a month with my neck...

My pick tools were too flimsy to pull the crank seal so I had to buy a seal puller as I didn't want to score the area up digging the seal out as the picks were just bending.  I got the seal out tonight, replaced, crank bolt, pulley etc. reinstalled w/ red loctite back to ~120 ft lbs.

Started putting the oil pan back on and it seems like it's going to be just as bad putting it back in trying to get the gasket to line up, was trying to avoid gasket maker, but might use some just to hold it in place.  More to come hope to maybe get the oil pan back on and everything underneath back together then put the heads and valve cover back on before I leave for NC for work again later this week...more to come.

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2022, 06:49:50 AM »

Slowly, but surely back at it.  I was down for about a month with my neck...

My pick tools were too flimsy to pull the crank seal so I had to buy a seal puller as I didn't want to score the area up digging the seal out as the picks were just bending.  I got the seal out tonight, replaced, crank bolt, pulley etc. reinstalled w/ red loctite back to ~120 ft lbs.

Started putting the oil pan back on and it seems like it's going to be just as bad putting it back in trying to get the gasket to line up, was trying to avoid gasket maker, but might use some just to hold it in place.  More to come hope to maybe get the oil pan back on and everything underneath back together then put the heads and valve cover back on before I leave for NC for work again later this week...more to come.

Sorry to hear about the injury man. I was wondering what happened, it's not often someone starts a new build on here. I'm looking forward to more updates! Good work on the loctite with the crank bolt. As far as the oil pan; so my engine gasket set came with two floppy little rubber U shapes for the ends, and this sad little gasket that goes around the edges. I can't recall which brand gasket set I used, but these things looked bad. Real bad. So, I just went with grey RTV all the way around the oil pan. It hasn't ran yet, but it's been sitting parked full of oil for about 5 months now without leaking.
Pages: 1 [2]