TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: 1991 Capri XR2 No Crank/No Start  (Read 2092 times)

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
1991 Capri XR2 No Crank/No Start
« on: January 19, 2021, 09:34:38 AM »

Hey there, Team Capri brothers. I just yesterday purchased my 1991 Capri Xr2, got it home late last night. It wasn't starting when I purchased it, and I was hopeful the issue was just the battery. I brought a spare battery with me, hoping to get it to fire up so I could drive it onto my tow dolly. Well, that didn't work. In fact, I barely had any electrical power in the car, even with a known good battery installed. I was wondering if you guys had any insight into the diagnostic procedure for a no crank/no start issue on these cars. I am an ASE certified tech, so I don't need step-by-step instructions. I was just curious if there was something specific to this vehicle to start my diagnosis on. I also have a MASSIVE Chilton's manual for this car, but sadly it doesn't seem to have any diagnostic flow charts. I haven't yet taken the time to really tear into the thing, I've only had it for about 12 hours now.

Thanks guys, and I'm super excited to be a part of this community. I've got some big plans for this car, I'd just like to get her running before I start pulling the engine apart.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:37:59 AM by EShepherd »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: 1991 Capri XR2 No Crank/No Start
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 10:01:49 AM »

Welcome to the family. There is a full tech manual here on the site.

http://web.archive.org/web/20151002170440/http://techcapri.home.comcast.net/~techcapri/

Did you check the main fuse on the left front strut tower?
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 10:18:59 AM »

You are my hero for that link, I don't have words to express how much I appreciate that. I have not yet checked anything. When I got the car home last night it was already dark out. Now its daytime, but it's still pretty damn cold. That wouldn't be an issue, but I've got my 1 year old son with me....and I don't think he'd be too thrilled about the cold. Once it warms up in a couple hours, we are going to go outside and start poking around with the multimeter. I'll make sure to check that main fuse first, thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Has anyone gotten ahold of the guy that makes the Rocket Chips? I sent him an email a week ago, but I still haven't heard back. Has anyone got experience using a full standalone setup on these cars? Will a megasquirt setup work? I've got no issue making my own wiring harness...

EShepherd

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 11:44:36 AM »

Update: I went to pull out the 80A main fuse you mentioned. Ummm, well I suppose the prongs were corroded into the fuse block itself, because they stayed with it, but the plastic and fusible link came off. I'm going to assume that was indeed the issue. The other fuses come out, so I'm unsure if I'm going to rip out those prongs and replace that fuse, or replace the whole fuse block (and probably switch to blade style fuses). I guess it depends on how cooperative the broken-off prongs are when I try to pull them from the fuse block. Bummer, 10 minutes of work and I need to buy parts already. -.-

A lot of the wiring in this thing is fairly corroded. I might give up on trying to get it started, and just pull it apart. I'm going to pull the engine for a rebuild, which will leave me tons of room to replace all the wiring. That brings me back to my question about stand alone ECM's. Is it doable with this thing? If so, I need not bother replacing all the wiring...I can just yank it all out and build a new harness for the new computer.

I've toyed with the idea of swapping in a Honda engine, but I reallllllllllly don't want to modify the car that much. I'd much rather keep the original engine. That all hinges on the computer situation, though. I need to be able to tune it, otherwise there's not much point in building up the engine. Sorry for all the questions, I'm extremely unfamiliar with the Capri. In fact, I'd never seen or even heard of this car until I found it on Craigslist.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 08:45:47 AM »

Unfortunately the fuse block is sometimes a problem. As for the megasquirt, it is workable. You might check the MX5 and Probe forums, for help on medications.  They are a lot more likely to modify their cars than Capri people are. We are more likely to put the top down and cruise. As for a swap, you might want to consider a Mazda BP series engine, same family but more displacement. Check Wikipedia for Mazda B series engines for info on the shared powertrain.  As for Matt (Rocketman), he usually has a lot of irons in the fire and sometimes it takes him a while to get around to his hobby.  Good luck with your project, You might hold off on the rebuild till you get it running , one of my cars has 200K on it and still running strong with a turbo and there are others with over 300K.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 09:35:33 AM »

The 80A main fuse bolts into the fuseblock (it is the only one in the block that bolts in) if you managed to pull it out it is likely destroyed. Luckily they're cheap
I think there's little plastic covers that hide the bolts.

I messed with the Megasquirt back in 2006/7, feels like a lifetime ago. Standalone is do-able, it's not nearly as easy as it is on many vehicles though, much of the stock stuff needs to go in order to fully utilize a standalone's capabilities.

These engines are way overbuilt, you shouldn't need a rebuild. The B6T is a beast, they don't really get too tired.
I did get your PM, I will shoot a reply over.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

EShepherd

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 01:03:54 PM »

Appreciate the responses guys. Yeah, I found that bolt while I was playing around with it today. Ooops lol. Guess its an easy enough fix though....remove the bolt, pull the prongs, and replace the 80A fuse,

As far as a rebuild, I mostly mean I'm pulling it out to replace all the gaskets and check the overall condition. Do the timing set and all that fun stuff. As long as none of the internals seem too tired, I don't plan on performing major heart surgery. I am starting the process of pulling the engine out now, though. A lot of the wiring is incredibly brittle. I figured it'd be much easier to repair sections of the harness with the engine out of the way.