TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Authentic-looking (but modern) radios  (Read 6239 times)

JimmyGermany

• On the search for parts less broken than mine :-)
    • 1993 Capri non-turbo
Authentic-looking (but modern) radios
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »

Gentlemen!

As you may have read in another thread, I need a new radio   ::)

Currently, I’ve got some aftermarket POS in which the CD player skipped when you looked at it funny.
I’m not heartbroken over its demise.

Anybody installed something modern that at least kinda looks original?

Cheers
James

JimmyGermany

• 1993 Capri non-turbo
Re: Authentic-looking (but modern) radios
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »

https://www.real.de/product/343855943/

Like this. I think this is about right for 1993.

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 08:17:11 AM »

Hi James,

I went with a then - current model Alpine so as to be able to take the face-plate off for security reasons.

Your choice looks good, and is along the lines of several options out there.

Hemmings.com ( and the monthly magazines ) has advertisements for similar vendors.

I checked eBay and there are period radios out there that would work or might need, ahem, tuned up by one of the experts out there.

Good hunting!

Steve

JimmyGermany

• 1993 Capri non-turbo
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »

Gentlemen,

Sort of along the same lines ...
I've come into a group of older radios (Blaupunkt, JVC, etc.). I'll be testing and cleaning them up over the next little while.

Do any of you have experience with one of those buy-a-code websites, that offer to send you the radio unlocking code for a fee?
There are a few out there (esp. for Blaupunkt), and I'm wondering if they are any good.

Cheers
James

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »

Hey everyone, brand new Capri owner here! I just stumbled upon this forum hoping to learn more about my '91 Capri. I'm planning on making some upgrades and one of the first things I'd like to do is replace the stereo as mine is broken. I love the idea of getting something that resembles a retro-style radio. The link posted looks amazing, just wondering if anyone has tried this model out to confirm whether or not it is compatible? I'm somewhat car illiterate so I'm also curious if there are restrictions when buying a stereo in terms of its power consumption? Are there certain current/voltage ratings that must be met when considering aftermarket stereos? Thanks in advance and apologies for my ignorance on this!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 07:54:45 AM »

Hey everyone, brand new Capri owner here! I just stumbled upon this forum hoping to learn more about my '91 Capri. I'm planning on making some upgrades and one of the first things I'd like to do is replace the stereo as mine is broken. I love the idea of getting something that resembles a retro-style radio. The link posted looks amazing, just wondering if anyone has tried this model out to confirm whether or not it is compatible? I'm somewhat car illiterate so I'm also curious if there are restrictions when buying a stereo in terms of its power consumption? Are there certain current/voltage ratings that must be met when considering aftermarket stereos? Thanks in advance and apologies for my ignorance on this!

Aftermarket radios are universal, this is called a DIN style. There is also a double DIN and a DIN and a half, pretty much self explanatory. Because it is vintage, compatibility won't be a problem. Connections will be hot and cold power, lights, antenna and speakers. Power isn't a problem until you get into separate amplifiers. The Capri uses two different alternators, both low amperage so if going big that would have to be addressed.  The alternators are not interchangeable and the best solution if there is a problem is to have yours rebuilt rather than buying one at the parts store because the aftermarket ones have the wrong pulley and they will cause belt problems. Here is a link to the service manual with lots of info for future reference.

http://web.archive.org/web/20151002170446/http://techcapri.home.comcast.net/~techcapri/1991_Service_Manual.html

Hope this helps.
Jack Byrd