Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Fuel gauge wonky

(1/3) > >>

MechaJubei:
My fuel gauge acts wonky once it hits about halfway down.  It's fine when I fill it up, then about 80 miles in and the needle is getting closer to the halfway mark, the needles drops down way past the Empty mark.  If I fill it back up, the needles goes back to the normal Full mark.  Is this just a faulty fuel sensor?  Are those hard to come by?

Rocketman:
It's part of the fuel pump hangar assembly, and as far as I am aware it is not available new. I don't think it can be had for a similar mazda platform, ie a 323 or mercury tracer.
Used may be your best bet, if you can locate one in the junkyard.

I do recall seeing a 323 GTX guy having similar issues, unable to secure a replacement, he rebuilt his. The mechanism is a wire-wound potentiometer, the wire had worn thru where the wiper makes contact. He measured the wire gauge, found exact wire replacement and re-wound it to bring it back into operating order.

I think that was on the clubprotege forums. You might still be able to find it there, or I may have posted a link on teamcapri here in the past. Who knows with the photobucket debacle if the pictures are still available

Rocketman:
Found it pretty easily, pictures are gone though :(

Would need to verify the wire gauge before proceeding in case it is different.

Here's the link: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?57674-how-too-fix-your-fuel-lever-senders-and-for-only-5!!!

MechaJubei:

--- Quote from: Rocketman on November 04, 2020, 06:46:03 PM ---Found it pretty easily, pictures are gone though :(

Would need to verify the wire gauge before proceeding in case it is different.

Here's the link: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?57674-how-too-fix-your-fuel-lever-senders-and-for-only-5!!!

--- End quote ---

Thank you!  I'm in talks with a couple people over at the Capri FB page getting some other random parts, I'll see if maybe they have one too.  :)

greywolf27030:
I found a company that rebuild senders, but don't have the info, I'm in Daytona.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version