TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 3487 times)

Tomfromparma

• 1992 XR2
New Owner
« on: October 14, 2020, 12:44:56 AM »

First post so go easy on me! I never thought I'd ever be a Capri owner, but this pandemic has been very strange. I was a happy owner of a Genuine Buddy 170i scooter and enjoyed riding it back and forth to work and around town running errands and such. Once they opened up the schools, I realized my scooter riding days were about to become few and far between. I wouldn't be able to pop both kids on the scooter and drop them off and I knew I wouldn't be able to drop them off and get home to grab the scooter and get to work in time. So I thought about getting a convertible.

I toyed around with the idea of a Miata but that wouldn't work with me and two kids so I started looking for something with 4 seats. I looked at a couple of Mustang convertibles and a Sebring or two but they seemed "soft" so I kept looking. I eventually found a 1991 Capri but the seller was flakey but I lucked into a 1992 xr2. Convertibls seem to be pricey in my area but I'm not disappointed with what I paid versus what I bought.

Mine has 57k original miles and was was owned by the same family since new. It spent the first 5 years being towed behind an RV and the last 23 years getting ice cream during the many spring and summer seasons that followed.

There's a little rust at the bottom of the front fenders but it's in good shape. I've got a hard top and stand and the convertible top is only 5 years old. The leather is in good shape and I've got some maintenance to get done. The shifter bushings and a coolant flush are all it needs besides a good waxing.

It's great to be here as an owner instead of just a fan.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: New Owner
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »

Welcome to the family, I'll have to say when they were new, I scoffed but I had a 64 GTO tri-power and a 59 Chevy Apache with a 396 Police Intercepter engine.  I accidently got involved with them a couple of years ago and now have three, so be careful....lol
Jack Byrd

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 06:20:59 PM »

Howdy, and welcome!

What a nice story yours came with, enjoy those ice cream runs with your kids, and keep it after those kids outgrow the back seat (it won't be long!).

Get it out every time, too, that you can for errand runs that don't require a bigger vehicle. It's worth the smile on your face and the stares of envy and wonder on everyone else (just what is that anyway?).

Cheers!

Steve

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 02:17:13 PM »

Welcome to the club! I bought my wife a new NA in 1994.  Not much power, but she was thrilled with it.  We still have and she drives in almost every sunny day to water aerobics.   Once I retired, I started to work on her Capri to keep it running and in good shape.  I found I could work on these cars, so now there are a 92 xr2 and 94 xr2 in the stable as well for me to play with.  Enjoy!
John

JimmyGermany

• On the search for parts less broken than mine :-)
    • 1993 Capri non-turbo
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 05:23:59 AM »

Hi Tom,

Welcome from me as well - also pretty new here, but I'm getting to really like my '93 non-turbo.
If I had space to store them, I'd get some more. It may just be my opinion, but I think the prices are going up here, as these cars approach the magic 30-year mark.
(The requirement here for "oldtimer" plates).

Cheers
James

Tomfromparma

• 1992 XR2
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 07:24:52 AM »

The shifter bushings and coolant flush are done. The bushings helped a lot since there were no bushings to speak of, but the temp gauge still reads near hot. I know the fan kicks on before it gets too hot and that they aren’t that accurate so I’m not too worried. After searching here, the Capris seem to run hot so I’ll just keep an eye on it and start enjoying.
Next up, I’m going to buff it out and bring back some of that shine.