TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Updated: RE superchargers & XR2 transplants  (Read 4249 times)

Geno

• 94 N/A
Updated: RE superchargers & XR2 transplants
« on: October 19, 2020, 08:08:03 PM »

Are there any examples of supercharged capris out there

What is the best way to install a supercharger in the Capri?

Is there enough room?

Can you get creative with some of the room in the lower engine bay?

What can be salvaged out of an XR2 to better accommodate the extra power I'll be looking at?

I understand that the stronger transmission should be picked up for this build but I know there's more to it than that.

My goal is to gear up the 1.6 NA engine that the car comes with and punch up the power of my daily driver with modern but reliable aftermarket parts wherever possible.

Here's my outline regarding what I'd like to do to the car

Transmission Upgrade from XR2

1. Transmission XR2 + Clutch (Drivetrain?)

2. Flywheel Upgrade

3. Brakes Upgrade

Super Charger Set

1. Supercharger

2. UpratedFuel Injectors

3. Intake Routing - Cold Air Intake

4. ECU ReTune (I don't know where to get this done in South Florida)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 03:26:53 PM by Geno »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Updated: RE superchargers & XR2 transplants
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:29:39 PM »

Noone's ever supercharged a Capri that I have ever seen. There are no kits, you'll have to build your own setup
There are some kits for the Miata which we share a block with, but unlikely that those kits fit the Capri due to different drivetrain layouts, yours will probably have to be custom

Dredging my memories I think I saw a Mazda 323, maybe it was a GTX, that was supercharged - they ran a shaft under the exhaust manifold to drive the supercharger mounted on top of the transmission

I have seen supercharged BP FWD engines (that is the 1.8L) with home made kits before

Space is tight, if you are wanting to intercool the air. Otherwise you might need water/methanol injection

The crank pulley design isn't the best, it's V belt + 4 rib. 4 rib micro vee will get a small charger running but isn't the best

Your best bet ECU wise is to run the XR2 electronics, injectors, distributor, etc - it's already designed for boost and will be sufficient for charger duty. Re-tuning the stock n/a ECU isn't really possible, you'd be looking at replacing the entire ECU with an aftermarket standalone unit

What fabrication skills do you have? Are you paying a shop to do this work?
Why not buy an XR2 ?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Geno

• 94 N/A
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 09:35:26 PM »

With as rare as these cars are, I jumped on it as soon as I saw one in Miami

With that being said I'd rather continue from where I'm at now than to start over in a completely different Capri.

The mechanics I'm working with are pretty much helping me with anything I throw at them regarding the car, so far all of my costs have been parts and not labor (they really want to see this thing alive and kicking).

As far as fabricating goes I have no idea, this is regarding the custom work I'd be doing for air intake routing, cooling and the supercharger placement?

While we're touching on the subject of an XR2 and the Supercharger - What are your thoughts on a mock-bi turbo utilizing both? This is mostly an afterthought I'm having, I'm sure this will raise it's own set of concerns and issues.
Any thought on 'electric' superchargers - I've seen a couple around but they don't exactly seem reliable or powerful?

I am for all intents and purposes a newbie regarding all things upgrading my engine with a good support system.

I'm not rushing into this build either, I'm sure buying a quality supercharger is going to be worth it's cost should I make it to the finish line there haha

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »

Okay, I'd like to recommend that you do some research on the work required to build a supercharger kit. Youtube, forum posts (for other FWD cars) etc.
See the work & fabrication involved, what kind of parts you're going to have to make, etc. You'll be making brackets & machining custom pulleys at the minimum, perhaps a custom intake manifold or countershaft with bearing blocks if it's more involved.

In the meantime, I'd also heavily recommend looking for an XR2 parts car. Consider doing an XR2 drivetrain swap - it's very straightforward compared to supercharging, and faaaaar more economical. It is something any reasonably experienced shop can handle since you are not doing your own work at the moment. Still would be unique, there's very few OEM 94 turbos out there, even fewer swaps,  I did an 94 turbo swap for Russ many years ago and I can't recall seeing any others.
At the very least this gives you the stronger transmission, flywheel/clutch, cable clutch pedal, axles, electronics etc that you will need anyways. It's always way cheaper and less headache to buy a parts car than to buy parts piecemeal, and you'll have *everything*
The Festiva guys are getting complete XR2s for $300-$500 for their swaps, many running/driving/rustfree which is a real shame. But the deals are out there.

Ignore twincharging, it's good on paper but a logistical nightmare and a moot point if you were to run a modern turbocharger - they are so efficient that it doesn't need any help.
And electric superchargers have come a long way from the $100 scams on eBay, but also not worth looking at

Geno

• 94 N/A
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:00:45 AM »

First off thanks for being insightful and helpful in equal parts, you're an invaluable resource to this community Rocketman!

I've been doing exactly what you've recommended - exploring the internet for just about any mildly relevant information about this stuff.
In specific a lot of the research I'm doing is based off of what people with Miatas are doing and they have a lot of kits to work with - I have the idea in my head that a lot of the stuff they do can be adapted for ours with enough brain power and engineering.

The XR2 Swap is absolutely on my next goal - I was going to buy another stock car to part out but if I can score an XR2 there's no reason not to when they're more or less the same price.

Could I ask you  for a complete list of parts to convert an N/A to Turbo?

You've already listed: Transmission, Flywheel x Clutch, Cable Clutch, Axles, ECU, Distributor Head Assembly, Ignitor, Fuel Injectors, Drivetrain

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 09:20:19 PM »

There's a sticky thread regarding XR2 swaps here: http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2866.0.html

The Miata stuff is designed for a engine mounted 90° compared to ours, the Miata is RWD, we are FWD. What fits in their engine bay generally does not fit in ours.
For example: Many of the Miata s/c kits mount them over top the exhaust manifold, on the driverside of the engine bay. That would put it through the hood & radiator on the Capri.
Not saying stuff can't or won't work with adaptations, but it's a significantly different set up.