TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Check Engine Light, Air Bag Light, Stuttering, Jerk  (Read 2356 times)

mrwislr

• 93 capri xr2
Check Engine Light, Air Bag Light, Stuttering, Jerk
« on: August 21, 2020, 01:25:13 AM »

Hello,

I just bought my second capri. Nearly 20 years after buying my first one which I no longer have. It's a bit of a fixer upper. I don't have any error codes as of yet as I literally just got it. But here is what I've have/noticed so far.

Both the check engine light and air bag light is one. Air bag light blinking. Here is where it gets weird. When I first start the car and run it for the a couple miles the check engine light is one but it runs fine. Then after it gets warmed up the check engine light will periodically go off/blink. When it does go off the car starts to stutter/jerk. This happens the most when I'm just starting out from a stop in first or second gear.. but it's not exclusive to those two gears.

If the check engine light comes back on and stays on the car drives fine. So light off.. it stutters/jerks. Light on.. runs fine.

Any help is appreciated... and any ideas with the air bag light is also appreciated.

thanks.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Check Engine Light, Air Bag Light, Stuttering, Jerk
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »

Welcome back to the Capri foal, I want to stay tuned to see what the pros on here suggest for this one.
Jack Byrd

belleaudb

• 92 XR2
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »

My immediate thought is bad grounds. You will need to clean all ground points. Thermostat housing ground for the computer. Engine ground straps on passenger side. Also there is a major ground point hidden under the battery tray. That ground point can get really corroded.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 08:38:16 PM »

Pull the codes using the jumper terminal under the hood, and see what it has to say.

It sounds like a sensor is reading out of limit & the ECU is running in limp mode (which ignores many sensor inputs) where it will seem to run fine with the CEL on
Then the sensor is putting out garbage signals but within limits, CEL goes off, ECU comes out of limp mode, and runs terrible because "GIGO" (garbage in, garbage out)

Could be something simple like the ECU coolant temp sensor (there are three, ECU only uses one)
Pull the codes to see what the ECU thinks is up & that will give us some insight into what's going on
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mrwislr

• 93 capri xr2
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 10:37:26 PM »

"jumper terminal under the hood"

might you happen to have a picture of that?

Also... after driving it some it seems to have corrected itself for the most part. The check engine light no longer comes on and she's running really good.

I have noticed if I let her sit for a few days and go drive her the check engine light will come back on. But after a couple miles it'll go out.. putter a bit then get right back to normal.