TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Traces of oil in waste gate actuator and return air piping  (Read 1640 times)

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
Traces of oil in waste gate actuator and return air piping
« on: July 16, 2020, 12:01:11 AM »

As I stripped a donor VJ 14  Turbo I have had a small amount of oil leaking out of the waste gate actuator. Not a lot but when I left it on my work bench over night in the morning there was a small pool (1 cm in dia) of oil under the air connection.
Where would have this oil come from ??
The only place I can think of is the actual compressor /Turbine housing itself. It was a 1992 Turbo so the bearing seals could have  been leaking and allowing a small amount of oil into the compressor side of the unit which then gets pumped into the inlet and then into the waste gate actuator. Or is the system designed to do this.
I have noticed as I strip the Turbo from my car and run my finger around the inside of the piping there is small trace/film of oil there as well.
Should I be concerned about this ?? Or is it normal.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Traces of oil in waste gate actuator and return air piping
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:47:53 AM »

The valvecover breather vents into the turbo intake tube, so there is always potential for oil vapor to condense in the intake path.
A puddle of oil like that is usually indicative of a blown turbo or at least one on it's way out.

Check the donor unit for shaft play. If you grab the nut on the compressor wheel, the assembly should move side to side ever so slightly and almost none in & out.
If it is moving quite a bit it's shot and very likely the source of the oil.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
Re: Traces of oil in waste gate actuator and return air piping
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:10:50 PM »

Hi
The Turbine unit is new. So the oil residue could be from the old Turbine. The oil and water inlets and outlets are in different spots on the VJ11. Do you have a picture of which is which as Im not quite sure which is oil and which is water. Would not like to get them mixed. Better to be safe than sorry.

cheers
Kiwimagic
Ron.