TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1994 XR2 resurrection  (Read 11400 times)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: 1994 XR2 resurrection
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »

Yes, a lot of work. A lot more work ahead of me too. Little bit at a time.

The stock tanks seemed to have a few weak spots, welding or brazing I'm not sure. Salt in a confined space like that probably doesn't do it any favours.

Here's the front passenger side brake line. This one was a doozy, heck of a time fitting it with the engine in place, but the copper nickel line is sooooo forgiving.

And all new bits coming from the master cylinder.

I've got to order another roll of line, but I should have enough to do the two lines on the rear axle.
I have decided to try to use the stock lines from the firewall to the rear axle, for the time being, if they will hold. See what happens. I have a friend with a shop with lifts, if I could manage to borrow one for an evening once I get the car more streetworthy it would be much easier to replace those two main lines. They don't look terrible, so we'll see I guess
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 10:18:08 AM »

Nice work Rocketman.  I appreciate the pictures and your expertise.   

John
John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 04:04:59 AM »

Another week of tinkering.

Managed to get the unions done to the old lines:

These sucked to do. Hah. I wanted to stagger them and get them nicer looking but it's just so tight there, and working upside down isn't my favorite thing.

Front driver side caliper bleeder screw snapped. It was super rusted into place.
I had good luck another time using the milling machine to mill out the old bleeder without killing the caliper threads. I got it to work again but it was much easier last time. Chased the threads with a tap to freshen them up. Seized pretty bad, other 3 were totally fine.  ???

The bleeders are M8x1.0 which apparently none of my local stores carry. And apparently a relatively uncommon size that they're kinda hard to find online. Speed-bleeders, yes. Found the standard ones in a big assortment kit on Amazon but not individually. So I grabbed one from my parts car for the time being

I went to replace the lines on the rear axle, and every flare nut is seized. I tried a lot of PB blaster and some moderate heat and no luck.
With the system sealed and in the interest of feeling like I made progress, I bled all 4 corners with the rear lines as-is and everything seemed to hold, pedal is firm.
I'll test drive it this week around the parking lot. So I may have to do all the lines firewall back at once, depending on how destruct-ey I have to get getting the old stuff apart.

So if anyone's got a decent rear brake junction piece for sale let me know
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:07:00 AM by Rocketman »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 09:19:37 AM »

You're the man. Have you ever tried a 50/50 mixture of acetone and antifreeze?
Jack Byrd

jdp

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »

I guess I should scavenge the bleeders out of my old calipers that I have laying around.
John

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 04:45:50 PM »

I second acetone and antifreeze as an option.

Another one: I gave up PB Blaster for Kroil as my go-to, a changed I made years ago and have stuck with.

Cool project and following...

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 09:44:26 AM »

I second acetone and antifreeze as an option.

Another one: I gave up PB Blaster for Kroil as my go-to, a changed I made years ago and have stuck with.

Cool project and following...

Steve

I agree with the Kroil, it's just hard to find.
Jack Byrd

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 08:17:00 PM »

One of the local farm/ranch stores always has Kroil in stock, and bigger spray cans too. Still, if I need one can I buy two. Sometimes, they have one gallon cans in stock. It' expensive...but worth it (there's a lot of things like that...).

Steve

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2020, 10:42:04 AM »

So a non-update update, hah.

I still have not replaced the rear lines on the car, but they are holding for now. It moves in/out of my shop and thats where I needed to get it for now.
The past few months have been incredibly busy for me so no more work has been done on the 94.

I started a 2nd job playing mechanic at a local garage, so there is hope that I can get it in on a lift one weekend and very easily do the rear lines without breaking my back. I'd like to do this before snow starts to fly, and then I can figure out what I'm going to do to store it for the winter.

OOOOr continue to fix it over the winter, I'm not sure. I'm at a point where I've validated that it can be a good car, I'm at that stage where I have to start throwing money at it for things like brakes/rotors, tires, soft top, etc.

jdp

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »

You must have been reading my mind....I was wondering about your progress on the resurrection project.  Slow progress is still progress.
John

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »

Great that you are sharing a rare one.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2021, 09:09:21 PM »

Update: After dragging ass on it for the past year, I've finally transferred the title to my name. And moved one of my plates to it. I had an afternoon off that gave me the time to get to the local notary place. Just haven't been able to find the time to get that done so haven't been able to do much else to it.
Life's been absurdly busy this year, I'm hoping to get something done with it soon while there is still top-down weather left.

Maybe updates soon??

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2021, 07:53:15 AM »

Hah, glad our conversation got some motivation going for you as well. I yanked my FR hub off yesterday...and then my son woke up from his nap. But hey, progress is progress, right?

I've been fixing up an old power wheels I found in the trash for him. I should put a build thread up here for that lol. At least it'll end up driving sooner than the Capri  :'(

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2021, 03:54:14 PM »

Awesome thread, cool to see you posting your own stuff here Matt rather then helping us with tech stuff. That XR2 looks super clean, glad you were able to get it so cheap, its in the best hands it possibly can be!

@EShepard, I for one would love to see a writeup of restoring a powerwheels for your kid :D. I feel as a community sharing things besides just our Capris will help us grow closer together, aswell as keep this forum a little more active.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)
Pages: 1 [2]