TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 1994 XR2 resurrection  (Read 11399 times)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
1994 XR2 resurrection
« on: July 02, 2020, 09:51:05 PM »

So as you may have seen in my other thread I traded an XR2 drivetrain for this 94 XR2.
It was bought as a donor for a Festiva, and slated to be chopped once the engine was pulled.
I put off going to get it as long as I could, I bought a 1993 Chevy truck in October to use for trips like this but it has taken me 8 months and countless man-hours to fix it up to pass PA state inspection.
Even still it was a bit sketchy and have found more things to fix on the truck, I had driven it maybe 300 miles before embarking on a 1,200 mile 3-state round trip to deliver the drivetrain and retrieve this Capri. Despite vomiting alarming quantities of gear oil from the differentials, the truck performed nominally and success was had in retrieving this diamond in the rough.

Freshly loaded:

1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
Re: 1994 XR2 resurrection
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 10:00:57 PM »

Thanks for a valiant effort to save a 94 from the scavengers! My 99 Silverado has 251,000 on it and keeps running strong. We drove it back to Pa last fall to help my son move. After all those miles, I finally had to put new brake pads on the rear. The fronts are still original. Old trucks rule!
John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 10:06:01 PM »

So, the issues thus far:

Vehicle doesn't run.
It is a Michigan car.
Fuel tank is thoroughly rotted out, fuel pump & sender assembly are shot.
There are no brakes, it appears several of the brake hardlines have corroded through.
There is some rust on the framerails, more on the passenger side, that will need to be inspected & repaired properly
The rear suspension is a little crusty, it looks like it can be saved though
The body has a whiskey dent in the front fender, and dings & scratches from sitting for 20 years
The top needs to be replaced

The good:

Only 83k miles
The interior is in amazing shape
No rust on the actual floor pan

In the car there was a receipt for an oil change dated May of 2002 with the mileage, it appears only 62 miles have been added since that date. Thus I am assuming it has been sitting since '02

I have not put a battery in it yet to check the electricals or to crank it, that is coming soon. I have ordered a fuel tank and will find a pump assembly from my parts hoard. I also need to order a roll of brake line and fittings and decide the best way to tackle replacing all the brake lines. If I pull the engine I'll have better access to the lines on the firewall, and can more easily replace timing belt/water pump/seals while the engine is out. But I have to hear it run first

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 10:10:52 PM »

Thanks for a valiant effort to save a 94 from the scavengers! My 99 Silverado has 251,000 on it and keeps running strong. We drove it back to Pa last fall to help my son move. After all those miles, I finally had to put new brake pads on the rear. The fronts are still original. Old trucks rule!

Wow! This beast sits at 218k miles after the trip. It's easy to work on, but there was a lot of work to do. The looks were deceiving when I purchased it, the more I dug the more I found wrong. I performed significant rust repair & mitigation and repaired many mechanical issues. It turned into a heck of a project, which I was hoping was not the case when I got it, haha.

I wrote down all the repairs I've done one night, and filled an entire notebook page.  :(

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 07:25:37 AM »

It's great that you elected to save this rare car. Good luck with it.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 07:28:34 PM »

Got the old fuel tank out without too much fuss. Never seen something rotted like this before.

It seems to have rotted from the inside out, crazy. The bottom outside of the tank is in great shape. The filler is quite bad, too.

New tank should be here tomorrow. I'll see if I can get it running and then work forward from there.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 08:44:11 AM »

wow
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 06:48:13 PM »

New fuel tank arrived:

It's a Spectra MZ2B for the 86-89 323 or 88/89 Mercury Tracer. Pictures showed a raw metal tank but this one is painted silver.
Fit as it should, the only thing different was missing a little tab to hold a check valve or something for the vapor vent line. And there's some foam bits installed on the OEM tank for sound purposes I guess, this does not have them. No drain plug either. Snagged the last one on Amazon for a cool $78 with free shipping.

I got the tank in and tested the fuel system. Found the rollover switch was unbolted and laying in the trunk from someone else's troubleshooting. Easy fix.
Cranked the engine a bit before giving it fuel to get the oil moving, and then she fired up no problems. Had a decent lifter tick until it warmed up but it sounds real good now.

Talked to the guy I got it from, it sounds like it was last running maybe 4-5 years ago, but based on the shape of the fuel tank I kinda doubt it - who knows. The battery that was in it is a Ford Motorcraft battery, maybe from 96? The date code portion is torn off. Either way it's running now!

Took it for a spin around the parking lot, clutch feels good. But it has no brakes so a short spin was all I did. The shifter is stiff as can be, I suspect the linkage at the shifter is rusted, needs TLC.
My order of copper-nickel brake line, fittings, and a new flaring tool came in today so I'll be tinkering with making new brake lines for it. Not looking forward to all that.
Contemplating doing the Big Brake Upgrade on the fronts, it likely needs new rotors & if I'm going in there I might as well do it with future service in mind. I wish there was an easier Master Cylinder upgrade

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 09:53:34 AM »

Nice
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 11:04:05 PM »

Started on the brake lines.

There's a lot of small differences in the 94, it's interesting to see the little bits that changed. There's some sort of brake pressure switch on the firewall that is not present on the 91 I have. But the 91 has a cut out in the firewall insulation for the block. The plug for it runs into the engine harness.

Anyway, had to make a tight radius bending tool for this line, took two attempts, first time I cut it a bit too short. Oh well. Needed the practice anyway
This was the only line that I could visually see was completely shot, so I put some fluid in and pumped the pedal, and could hear it shooting out under the car. Apparently there's another busted spot in the rear line(s) where it comes out from under the engine subframe, at the base of the firewall. Looks like a joy to get to that area to replace those lines, even if I were to remove the engine. Any tips on that one??

MagnumPI

• Mercury Capri XR2, VW Beetle, Ford Fiesta ST200
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 08:11:27 AM »

I recently had to replace the rear brake lines, but luckily I had my engine out to replace some gaskets and the clutch.
It's a bit fiddly in that area, especially re-attaching the bracket which is hidden behind the steering rack, but all in all it went smoother than I anticipated.
A second pair of hands and eyes definitely helps and of course pre-bending the lines.
With the engine still in the car I imagine it being an unpleasant job.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 10:32:34 AM »

Very professional.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »

More brake lines.
Decided to add a union just past the firewall to make the lines a bit easier to manage.
Driverside hardline was seized into the rubber brake hose. Had to cut the hardline to mount it in the vice to deal with it.
Checked the brake bleeder on the driverside caliper, snapped right off even with liberal use of heat and penetrating fluid. Will toss it on the milling machine and see if I can salvage it.
On the other hand, pulling the wheel off revealed factory fresh gold zinc plating on the hub & wheel studs.

MC to driverside wheel

Rear line 1

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »

Ohhh...my what a lot of work.

Very fine work too.

I'm enjoying following this.

Steve

belleaudb

• 92 XR2
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »

A great Thumbs UP! 

Seeing the pictures of the fuel tank reminded me of my tank replacement. My tank was perfect except the vent line rusted away. I guess the rust is due to the factory galvanizing and coating being too thin in places.

CHOOKAS!!!
Pages: [1] 2