TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: front tower bar  (Read 5266 times)

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...
front tower bar
« on: June 07, 2020, 10:54:42 AM »

Hi all,

I started looking for a front tower bar for my '91 and don't find anything current out there.

I was looking at some old threads here and learned that a Mazda 323 front tower bar might be the action.

Is that still the case or any other options in the last few years?

If so, any recommendations. For example, I find Ultra Racing has a 323, but it ships from Malaysia. Any U.S. distributors or sellers?

Or does someone have one stashed they want to sell?

I also find I have to make a repair to my sway bar, one of the bolts holding the bar to the frame has broken (sigh...). Recommendations for sources of bushings, poly perhaps?

Thank you all,

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: front tower bar
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »

Both Matt and Russ made tower bars, but I ddn't think either do now. I think I got Russ's last one. 323GT, 1988-89, is the same platform, so should work. As for bushing,

https://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue4.php?make=MAZDA&model=323&model_final=1985-1989&vehicle=323+BF+FWD

Whiteline makes a lot of stuff for us, but has to come from Australia.  The only company I had for the US for their products is no longer there.

Rockauto usually has standard replacement bushings, control arms, etc.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »

Whiteline had done a special run for the strut braces that fit our Capri's toward the end of last year (2019).   If you are on the Capri Owners group on Facebook, you can do a search on me and you will find a post I did that advised the group of the special run.  There is also a contact name that worked with me to get one from Australia stock.   I really do not know if there were any left though. 

There was also a guy that made a few last year as well.  He was a friend of a member on the Facebook groups.   I would suggest a search for strut brace on the sites and that thread should show up.   I will try to see if I can find it when I get a chance.

Good luck in the search.
John
John

redsteve

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »

Gents,

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it.

John, I'm not "on" facebook, doubt I ever will be. Still, I'll see if I can find your reference. In the meantime, if you happen to find it I'd sure appreciate having it here.

Jack, thank you also for the lead on Whiteline.

I'll keep looking, and hoping, too, that somebody has one to offer up. It's not critical that I have one, but every once in a while the car "seems" to want one.

I was going to go for a drive today, but it snowed...

Cheers!

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 10:41:00 AM »

Gents,

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it.

I was going to go for a drive today, but it snowed...

Cheers!

Steve

That's sucks.....lol
Jack Byrd

jdp

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 04:57:16 PM »

From my facebook post.....

Whiteline had done a limited run of the KSB595  strut brace that fits our Capri's. There are 2 left in stock in Australia. I have attached the name and phone number for the tech sales person to contact if anyone is interested. It will be $175 shipped.

Mitchel Yardley
Technical sales - Shoreline
909-476-2860

Good luck with your search!
John
John

jdp

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 05:14:01 PM »

This fellow had made some strut braces as well. I bought one from him a year or so ago. He was building for $130 shipped. Not a nice as the Shoreline or what Rocketman was building, but it looks good.

Chris DeJarnette
chrisdejarnette {AT} Verizon.net

John
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:45:00 PM by Rocketman »
John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »

Please be cautious of publicly posting email addresses - opens up the recipient to loads of spam. Easy enough to obscure it from bots by using [AT] in place of @

Strut bars are a thing I've been meaning to get on making for some time now. Things have been busy & time is never free somehow.
I was going to do an all-welded design, instead of trying to source the aluminum bars of the correct length. A thing that has proven nearly impossible

Laser or plasma-cut tower brackets, with a carefully bent steel tube of the appropriate thickness, possibly with triangular brace between bracket & bar, TIG welded nicely on a fixture.
Would make them rather inconvenient to ship, but I have never been 100% satisfied with the bolt-together designs
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

jdp

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 11:38:31 PM »

Thanks for correcting the email for me Matt.

John
John

redsteve

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 05:53:04 PM »

Hi all,

Thank you for the input and direction, I appreciate it.

I will give Shoreline a call on the off chance one of those bars has my name on it.

If not, I'd sure be happy to buy one from Rocketman if that project comes to pass (oh, my projects...yep...).

In the meantime, the snow is all gone so tomorrow morning appointment and errands in top-down mode!

Cheers, and thank you.

Steve

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 01:51:41 AM »

Hi
I fabricate both front and Rear Strut tower braces. I have sold many here in AU. $130 each plus shipping. The shipping here in Au is not too bad. If you are interested send me a PM and I can work something out.
cheers
Kiwimagic