TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Sticking in gear, usually when fully warmed up...likely cause and fix?  (Read 1916 times)

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...

Hi all,

So, I pulled my '91 out of winter hibernation yesterday, checked all fluids, belts, hoses, and etcetera and took it out for a short drive: fourteen miles for a short shakedown.

Pulling back in to park I depressed the clutch to shift out of first and the stick did not snick out; rather, I had to give it a fair yank to pull it out of first gear. I then moved to put it reverse and it required a full cycle of the clutch and a bit of a push to put it into reverse.

I had work done on the clutch not long ago that was beyond my time + skill vs. money equation a few years ago; looking for that repair invoice...

In the meantime, likely cause(s)? Suggestions of where to start?

Thank you for your thoughts all,

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2

Sounds like the clutch isn't fulling disengaging. How much free play does it have?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

I agree with Jack. What does the fluid level in your clutch master cylinder look like? Any leaks near the slave cylinder?
You could try bleeding the system to see if there is any improvment
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...

Gents,

Ayup.

That was it, it appears; a short test drive seems to confirm same, a longer test drive to come.

The factory manual says .02 (editorial comment: how little?!?) to 1.2 inches of free play.

In checking it, it looked and felt like it was right down on the .02. Measuring it while turned sideways and upside down while wearing bifocals was not in the cards. I must be getting old(er).

I gave it about half an inch and, mirabile dictu, that was the fix.

All else had been replaced and checked but that...

So, gentlemen, thank you both for your thoughts and suggestions.

You were a big help!

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2

Proud to be able to give back to the group.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd