TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: master cylinder rebuild  (Read 11628 times)

smd123

• 1991 XR2
Re: master cylinder rebuild
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 07:20:25 AM »

I tried placing the order with Summit too.  It sat there for a week. I called them and their representative put me on hold and called Cardone.  They said nothing's going to happen unless Cardone happens to get one in.  They said I could have someone send my master sent back in to Cardone to have it rebuilt.  So I canceled my order with Summit.

Then I placed an order with Rock Auto and mailed my master back to Cardone in Texas.  They sent it back 3 weeks later as "unrebuildable".  They didn't say why, but I have to conclude that there are no parts available for it.  Mine is in very good shape other than the molded plastic valve on the top.

So I ordered that cylinder from Ebay Australia and have been waiting 4 weeks now for shipping. Hopefully it shows up someday and works...

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 09:35:09 PM »

I have a spare used one kicking around somewhere, if I run across it I will tear it apart to see what all goes into it. There have to be modern parts available that will fit, I imagine tricky to find though

The extra tricky part is that our OEM unit seems to have the proportioning / splitter valve built into it - most other Mazda chassis of this era had external prop valves. Otherwise it may be possible to switch to another MC.

I recall having seen some 323 guys switch to a Mazda 929 MC, and even a Mitsubishi EVO master cylinder. My memory of these things is growing foggy. However after a quick look on Rockauto it seems the 323 uses a drastically different brake booster setup so this is probably not a viable option without switching the booster out.

I have the booster & master cylinder out of an early Mazda MX-3, complete with external prop valve, that I was going to try to fit to the GTXR2. A friend parted his MX3 out and I grabbed it, it appears to have the correct bolt pattern to mount to the firewall but I don't think I ever tried to fit it. I believe it had a larger bore MC which is what I was after to balance my brakes after doing the Galant big brake set up front
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 09:38:30 PM »

I saw listing for Dorman new Master cylinder on Rockauto.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-15106-m390064.aspx

Interesting that there are two OEM part numbers for it.

It looks like most places are out of stock but Summit Racing is allowing me to add it to my cart. A bit pricey but worth a try?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dhb-m390064

Wonder if you called Dorman if they'd make some more? hah
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Kiwimagic

• 1990 SA SOHC, 1991 SA Verde DOHC, 1994 XR2 Turbo
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 11:27:15 PM »

Well...….. Did not get any feed back from Summit. Just the message order pending, So cancelled it after I ordered the one that was advertised here on Ebay, which I purchased for $285.00 Au $$.
3 days later I received a Email from that supplier telling me that the one I ordered was the last one they had and it was found to be faulty, so we have refunded you your money.
Now 3 days later they have again advertised the same Master cylinder, Last 1 of 14 already sold..
I have sent them a message asking WTF is going on.....
Will keep you posted.
In the mean time I have sent an old one of to Cardone through an order from Rockauto. Fingers crossed.

MagnumPI

• Mercury Capri XR2, VW Beetle, Ford Fiesta ST200
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 09:30:38 AM »

Cardone seems to have shipped out a batch of rebuild master cylinders, those are popping up on eBay and Rockauto for reasonalbe prices ($46 + $46 core deposit or so), so if you are still looking for one, now might be the time to get it.

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 11:55:36 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  I have one on order now from Rockauto to have on hand as spare for our Capri fleet.

thanks...
John

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 09:47:08 AM »

That's great Magnum.
Jack Byrd

Kiwimagic

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 03:43:07 AM »

Master Cylinder arrived back from Cardone industries. All good works great. No problems at all. Took a while but got here in the end.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 06:08:58 AM »

Well, that took long enough. Glad you finally got it though.
Jack Byrd

Kiwimagic

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 01:33:31 AM »

Master cylinder arrived back from Cardone Industries and seems to work OK.

9193CapriXR2

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1993 Capri XR2, 2006 Range Rover
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2023, 12:21:55 PM »

Every time I see a Capri in the pick and pull I grab a few parts....IACV, Master Cylinders, headlight motors, window motors.  Never know when Ill need one.  Found 2 unripped convertible tops/frames and had to pull those as well.  Replaced the one on my 91 with one and have the other sitting in the garage for when I need another one. 

My advice is to keep an eye on Rockauto, they offer the Cardone rebuild service from time to time and I have used it once before.
Pages: 1 [2]