TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: ELECTRICAL LOAD CONTROL UNIT! Mysterious, No part number, no pictures, no idea.  (Read 1858 times)

Skippyq

• 91 Capri xr2. 91 Capri base.

I have a naturally aspirated capri that Had its battery hooked up backwards. Fuses are fine, new computer, new distributor, Sensors are operational and work on another Capri. Main relay is fine.  In the most common state the computer throws codes, 25,26, and 34. Fuel pressure regulator solenoid valve, purge canister solenoid, And idle air control. Key on, everything operating, I get absolutely no ground to those three sensors (which is how the computer senses the sensors) to the computer. If I rapidly turn the key on, off, on, off, on, off; I will get lucky! and the computer will kick fully on. fuel pump primes! My logic probe shows that the computer is now reading the ground circuit from those three sensors.  If I turn the key off or I hit the starter the computer shuts off :(. I have found in the original Ford 1990 wiring diagrams... something called an electrical load control unit. Can't find it online... there are no part numbers.... there's not even a reference to it.  I've talked to modern Capri parts and I quote "ive never heard of it or even Physically seen one". They exist!!!!! they sit to the left of the fuel pump relay and tee into the three sensors it is throwing a code for and also the VAF. How important are these? I could imagine if a battery is hooked up backwards, it would be one of the components to be damaged. would this cause the motor to not receive an injector pulse? IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME? IS THERE ANYONE THAT KNOWS OF THE ELECTRICAL LOAD CONTROL UNIT! WHAT ARE IT'S SECRETS! I MUST KNOW!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2

I sense your frustration and really wish I had an answer for you.  These cars are a lot of fun when they are running, but can be a real PITA when they aren't.

Good luck, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

blueamber

The load unit monitors high current inputs and lets the ECM know to increase the idle speed, since that little engine at idle can bog down with increased load from the alternator.  It looks at the a/c, cooling fans, hard top rear window defroster.  It's enabled by a signal from the main relay.