TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Wrong size spark plug.  (Read 1942 times)

xscottw

• 1993 Mercury Capri Base Manual
Wrong size spark plug.
« on: January 09, 2020, 10:46:35 PM »

So I lent my car to a family member who decided it was wise to put the wrong size spark plug in one of the cylinders before realizing that they had to use a different socket size to install it. Of course the car had been misfiring since. I got it a few months later and have had it for a month or two and am trying to rectify this situation now, what kind of possible future issues should I look out for once I get this changed.

JJCapri

• 91 XR2
Re: Wrong size spark plug.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:15:00 AM »

wrong size as in the wrong part number, but the thread size and thickeness are exactly the same as stock?  prob nothing. but if it reworked the threads in the hole and you put the 'correct' plug in, there could be leakage of gasses past the threads and eventually get larger and or some other type of failure....

xscottw

• 1993 Mercury Capri Base Manual
Re: Wrong size spark plug.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 10:56:28 PM »

The hex nut was smaller was the big issue, finally got it out with a deep well extractor socket, they had stripped it till it was almost perfectly round.

It was also gapped wrong and a bit short but I got a new one in yesterday actually, now my car misfires less but I'm thinking the extra stress got to my engine cause it sometimes doesn't feel like it's getting proper power; I'm hoping it's fuel delivery, two of the other (correct plugs) were very light colored near the end when I pulled them out so I think it's running lean sometimes. I have a new filter and pump on the way.

They were all also soaked in oil I hope that's just the valve cover gasket.

There's a pair of two Capris the same year as mine within driving distance for sale for parts, just trying to save up enough and keep my current one running till I can afford them (Crossing my fingers they're still available then).