TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: VAF Images/ Correct Wiring  (Read 1859 times)

MagnificentSin

• 1992 Capri xr2
VAF Images/ Correct Wiring
« on: January 06, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »

Hello other Capri drivers, I'm new here (and a little late to the Capri party) but I've been looking around on the forums here and it has been extremely helpful so far. However, I had an issue with my VAF (which is different from a MAF).

Basically, it works so that when the engine cranks and sucks in air, a relay is triggered to turn the Fuel Pump on, our engines don't prime before starting. It then uses this metal door to see how much air is coming in by measuring how far open the door is.

Anyway, back to the issue, I had just gotten an intake put in, and the car wouldn't start unless I had my foot on the gas, even then it wouldn't idle. After a few days of research and diagnosis, I was lead to belive it was a vacuum leak (spoiler alert it was not) so when I couldn't find a leak it was confusing.

So the cause and solution; I've heard someone else say they made this mistake a while ago too. When taking off the VAF connector, there is a metal clip to remove, but being me I thought i should take the 2 screws out and pull. If you pull on this you will more than likely cross a wire/disconnect something/ get the metal sensor on the wrong side of the lever. To fix this, put the screws back in and take the connector off the right way. Then, take a box cutter or other sharp knife around the caulk on the top of the sensor, then pry the black cover off carefully (don't break it, you cant buy just the cover).

Then check the internals to make sure they look EXACTLY like this:
https://imgur.com/a/2VD61Vj

Then remove the excess caulk and reseal it with more exterior caulk.
I hope this helps if anyone has this issue in the future!

MagnificentSin

• 1992 Capri xr2
Re: VAF Images/ Correct Wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »

The addition that I forgot to include, you may need to resolder your connections depending on how badly messed up they are, I soldered all of mine better to make sure they would be in as best condition as possible to prevent issues down the road.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 05:35:59 PM »

Very cool, I always wondered what that looked like on the inside, thanks.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 10:25:16 PM »

thanks for the writeup....
John