TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: New Guy/Base Trim and XR2 Common Parts Question  (Read 14188 times)

Raskolnikov3212

• Mercury Capri and Capri XR2
New Guy/Base Trim and XR2 Common Parts Question
« on: November 08, 2019, 10:44:48 PM »

Hi all,

First time poster here. You can call me Rask. I was very, very excited to find this forum. It’s great to meet all of you!

I bought my first Capri 3 years ago - a red, 1991 base-trim. Fell in love with the car immediately. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I picked up an XR2 with a nice engine and great cosmetics, but a very badly rusted undercarriage.

The big question I’m trying to answer now is - what parts are interchangeable between the base-trim and XR2, and which aren’t? Does anyone have a good resource for this? I’m still figuring out if the XR2 is salvageable, but one way or another, I’ll end up wanting to pull parts off one car and put them on another. Any perspective on this question would be very much appreciated!

Again, I’m so glad to have found this forum and hope to speak with many of you in the future. I love the Capri. My wife lives in constant fear that I’ll bring home a 3rd one :). I won’t rule it out!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: New Guy/Base Trim and XR2 Common Parts Question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »

What exactly are you trying to interchange?
The XR2 and N/A are the same chassis, and many parts are the same.
The powertrains are a little different between the two. XR2 might have larger front brakes (some N/A had the larger brakes) and the swaybar might be a different size
But you can take the XR2 engine/trans/harness and plop it into the N/A just fine. There's a little nuance to the swap but most of the details are covered here on the forum
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Raskolnikov3212

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 06:25:55 PM »

Thank you for your reply, Rocketman! To answer your question...I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm going to do a more thorough introductory post with photos of the vehicles and more thorough background on what I'm looking at.

In short, though - I think I'd ideally be looking to pull parts from underneath the N/A to replace those on the XR2 that have rusted out. The body and interior of the XR2 are in good shape. The engine looks good. But after 7 Chicago winters with the previous owner, the underside of the XR2 is rust, rust, rust.

I'm still in the process of working with a mechanic to evaluate the extent of the rust. I'm not a mechanic, and these Capris represent my entrance into automobiles as a hobby (so I'm not in a place to properly evaluate on my own, yet).

Thank you for the information!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »

Rusted suspension components are really not a problem, the problem will be rusted structure.  Holes in the floor and other areas, that is usually what kills them and makes them unusable and sometimes that damage is almost impossible and very expensive to repair.  Also, when it starts, it's almost impossible to stop. Swapping the XR2 parts over to the good base body might be the route you'll need to take.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Raskolnikov3212

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 11:49:01 AM »

Thank you very much for your perspective, Greywolf! I will expedite further evaluation of the rust to determine what can be done. Ideally, I'll be able to restore the XR2 - though that wasn't admittedly my intention at first. I'm going to do a longer post on this, but I picked up the XR2 for super cheap right before it was taken to the salvage yard. The owner was headed for assisted living and they couldn't find a buyer due to the rust. At that time, I knew little of the XR2, and was just excited to be able to pull off the convertible top and a few other parts for my base-trim. Once I learned more about the XR2, however, I became keen to restore it. My original plan, though, was to use it to improve the base-trim, so no ill will if that's indeed where I end up!

Were I to focus my energy on the base-trim, I'd pretty much be looking to bring over everything I could from the XR2. The body has a lot of dents, so it'd be great if I could actually take the body panels and doors from the XR2 for the base. I'd love to pull the turbo engine out and put it in the base. Pretty much everything that isn't on the underside of the car :). From yours and others' explanations, it sounds like a lot of this should be possible!

But for now, I will get this rust figured out. Thank you, again!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:36:51 PM by Raskolnikov3212 »

Raskolnikov3212

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 05:08:40 PM »

Is it possible to pull the turbo engine out of the XR2 and put it into the base-trim, even if the base-trim is an automatic?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 10:41:18 PM »

Have a looksee here:
http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2866.0.html

Yes, absolutely possible, but you do not want to put the turbo engine on the auto transmission, swap the whole drivetrain
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 07:40:05 AM »

The turbo is a much more fun and exciting car to drive than the base, especially the auto.  Last winter in Orlando I would have preferred an auto, but when I"m back up here in the mountains, I want the turbo.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd