TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Engine having issues when cold  (Read 5214 times)

ZJCapri91

• 91’ Capri N/A 05’ Excursion V10 06’ F150 5.4 V8
Engine having issues when cold
« on: November 22, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »

Hello all!

I have an issue with my engine on startup when it's cold. The engine when started fires right up, but immediately after starting, the exhaust starts belching smoke. It smokes to the point where it engulfs the whole car, and then some. It smells heavy of fuel, and has a greyish tint to it. Once the engine warms up a little, it goes away, and when it is warmer outside, the problem does not show up at all. The head has been completely reworked, so the valve seals are good, as well as the head gasket.

Does anyone have ideas as to what could cause this?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Engine having issues when cold
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »

Not heard of that one before, good luck.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »

is it a code? A bad ECT sensor that communicates with the computer can cause rough running, rich fuel and black smoke out the exhaust. It will show a code if this sensor is bad.
John

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 09:41:20 PM »

Injector stuck open cold, releases when warm???  When it is smoking good, shut the car off and pull the plugs, look for one moist with fuel.  Check your oil, is it thin and smell of gas?

ZJCapri91

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 11:33:45 PM »

Thanks to all who have replied to this post!
The car does not show any codes at all when running. I will look into the injectors when possible and tell of the outcome

ZJCapri91

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 09:29:22 AM »

Looking further into this issue, I have changed the injectors, and the car was doing it before and after the injector change. I have replaced the ECT, during the head gasket replacement. My oil is completely normal, with no fuel smell, and standard 10w-30 viscosity.

Potentially a bad idle speed control valve, or computer anywhere?

I appreciate all who have commented so far, your suggestions have helped me a ton.

blueamber

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 12:47:05 AM »

OK, typical of car smoking on startup then clearing up is a head gasket with a hole waiting to get bigger, or worn valve guides.  Just because the gasket is new or guides are replaced does not mean they were installed correctly, or the head bolts were not torqued down (happened to me once).  Get someone with a scope to look through the spark plug holes.  Coolant or oil in a cylinder causing that much smoke should be easy to see...