TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: 1994 XR2 in San Jose, CA area - SOLD  (Read 20927 times)

HarryN

• 1994 XR2
1994 XR2 in San Jose, CA area - SOLD
« on: November 09, 2019, 10:46:06 PM »

Hi,

My son inherited an XR2 from my  younger brother.

My brother kept it in his garage and drove it occasionally. It has approx 30K miles on it.

My son is in college and doesn't need a second car.  Frankly he also doesn't understand what he has and would like to sell it.  I will just say it is not an easy thing for me to sell, but that is the nature of things.

It is essentially as it came from the factory, except I was chasing down some gremlins and added a few more grounding wires in the engine compartment to see if that helped.  It turned out to need a new mass flow setup and that was replaced by at an auto shop, along with a few other things.  It isn't perfect but it is in better condition than the mini van I drive by far.

Here is the adv on craigslist:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/pleasanton-1994-capri-xr2/7017140417.html

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:32:05 AM by HarryN »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: 1994 XR2 in San Jose, CA area
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:39:21 AM »

Beautiful car, I can tell you brother loved it.  And it's on the opposite coast from me, dang.
Jack Byrd

HarryN

• 1994 XR2
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »

Thanks Jack.  It is a great car and my brother did take very good care of it.

My son "likes it" but I already purchased a different car for him to commute to community college a few years earlier. 

It would be great to find someone who can appreciate this type of car properly. 

My sort of semi retired work has been in power systems for conversion vans and emergency preparedness.  I am too busy to really spend any time on it, other than the mil spec ground wires I installed.  :)

It was very difficult to figure out a price point for it.  Most of the ones on line have fairly high mileage.  There is one that looks fairly similar in OH.  They are asking around $9K, but that seems a bit high to me.

Of course if you are seriously interested and distance is the only factor, that can be worked out.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 09:22:23 AM »

You are right about determining a price point. In my opinion these cars are very undervalued, adding to that Festiva people see them as donors and only worth the drive train. Personally I think for what you have, your price is reasonable.  Of course if I was buying, I'd think it too high....lol  I would like to buy it and drive it back to NC, but I have two earlier models already.  I wish you luck selling it.

Jack Byrd.
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 01:09:59 PM »

Wow. Looks great from the pictures. I too am in NC like Greywolf.  I think your price is in order for a 94 xr2 with 30k miles and in the condition that yours appears to be. There were only 361 94 xr2's made for the US and probably only 200 left. I certainly hope a Capri enthusiast can buy it and preserve it. If you message me the vin number, I will tell you how fell in the production order.

John
John

HarryN

• 1994 XR2
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 06:27:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

There have been requests for more photos and information.  Since I am not very good with photo sharing sites, I added more photos to the first craigslist adv, and also created a second one to hold more photos.

Some of them are attempts at under body photos.  The car has relatively little clearance so I just held my phone under the car on the drives side and sort of randomly took some photos.

Feel free to ask questions.  I am certainly no expert but have been reading this forum for a while.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/pleasanton-1994-capri-xr2/7017140417.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/pleasanton-1984-capri-photos/7018881492.html

Thanks

Harry

ps - if anyone has suggestions for how to post photos on a photo sharing site and link them, feel free to point me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:49:50 PM by HarryN »

HarryN

• 1994 XR2
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 06:35:57 PM »

Wow. Looks great from the pictures. I too am in NC like Greywolf.  I think your price is in order for a 94 xr2 with 30k miles and in the condition that yours appears to be. There were only 361 94 xr2's made for the US and probably only 200 left. I certainly hope a Capri enthusiast can buy it and preserve it. If you message me the vin number, I will tell you how fell in the production order.

John

Thank you.  I sent the vin number via pm.

HarryN

• 1994 XR2
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 06:57:15 PM »

I have received several questions via the adv from people asking if this car can be just picked and driven from CA to the midwest.

Honestly I have no idea, but that seems risky to me.

We have had the car about a year and I am slowly working it up to being more and more comfortable at higher speeds.  My son and I were driving around town, and about the time I was going to take it on the I680, it started to stall out.  The mechanic changed out the mass flow set up and some other items - need to look those up - so now it seems to run very well.

Still have not taken it on the freeway yet though (been busy) so I don't know how it will behave at 70 mph and a long extended drive.

My sister in law put some significant money into making sure it was in great condition for my son to drive.  I have added another $2K in parts and labor as well.

Its probably just me, but I am not so sure about taking a car with limited parts availability on a cross country drive.

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 09:03:07 PM »

HarryN.....it was 182 off the assembly line of the 361 made.

John
John

blueamber

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 12:29:03 AM »

I flew from Florida to San Diego once to drive a black 94 xr2 back, Feb of 2011, other than getting stuck once in a blizzard, car made the trip fine... I still own three 94xr2,  reef green, white, magenta, wow a red one in this condition is tempting... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 07:46:13 AM »

I drove one on my XR2's from NY to NC and the other from PA.  I would love the adventure of driving one from CA.  What is the condition of the soft top?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

HarryN

• 1994 XR2
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »

I drove one on my XR2's from NY to NC and the other from PA.  I would love the adventure of driving one from CA.  What is the condition of the soft top?

Jack Byrd

At the risk of sounding like an idiot - I don't actually know the condition of the soft top.

My focus has been to get the engine running smoothly so that my son could drive it around and look cool / improve his social life with girls his age.  I figured that he would eventually fall in love with the car and start working on it with me, but it has not happened.

There is a photo in the second adv taken into the trunk.  I opened the flap to show what I assume is the soft top tucked back there and it feels like it is in good condition to me - but that is folded into that compartment.

For reasons that are not clear to me, my brother also purchased another soft top that is new in the box in the trunk.  I opened it and took a few photos - posted.  It still has the paper liner separation and appears to me to be completely brand new and in new condition.

My brother did a lot of oil refinery operational planning, including turn arounds / rebuilds.  He was the kind of person that believed in buying and stocking  spare parts, especially if they would become hard to obtain later.  It would not surprise me if he simply bought it as a spare for down the road.

There are about 40 photos / snapshots  posted now between the two adv for those like me who enjoy car photos.  Someone asked me for under body photos which are tricky.  I laid on the ground on the drivers side and just sort of stuck my cell phone under to get them, but could not really see what I was taking.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 12:25:19 PM »

That this is a real deal.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

HarryN

• 1994 XR2
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »

That this is a real deal.

Jack Byrd

Hi Jack,

I think it is a pretty decent offering.  Where else can you get a 2 door sports car of any brand in this condition for $5K?

Sometimes I feel stupid putting it up for sale, but some of that is tied up in the emotional aspect of it having belonged to my brother.

If anyone wants to see it or get a third party mechanic to look look at it, the work that was done by a shop was performed at Harry's auto in Pleasanton, CA.

No doubt I am going to regret selling it, but with a bad back, it is just too hard for me to get in and out of.

HarryN

• 1994 XR2
Re: 1994 XR2 in San Jose, CA area - SOLD
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 11:35:50 AM »

Thanks to everyone who helped provide information about the car and was interested in the car.

It was purchased by a local enthusiast who had owned several in the past.

While the process was difficult for me, I realize that as a family we were too emotionally tied up in that car.  It feels like a great burden has been lifted.  Still like the car, but I am glad that it is sold.