TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Interchangeability of Parts Between Base-Trim & XR2  (Read 5538 times)

Raskolnikov3212

• Mercury Capri and Capri XR2
Interchangeability of Parts Between Base-Trim & XR2
« on: November 09, 2019, 12:58:10 AM »

First time poster here. You can call me Rask. I was very, very excited to find this forum. It’s great to meet all of you!

I bought my first Capri 3 years ago - a red, 1991 base-trim. Fell in love with the car immediately. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I picked up an XR2 with a nice engine and great cosmetics, but a very badly rusted undercarriage.

The big question I’m trying to answer now is - what parts are interchangeable between the base-trim and XR2, and which aren’t? Does anyone have a good resource for this? I’m still figuring out if the XR2 is salvageable, but one way or another, I’ll end up wanting to pull parts off one car and put them on another. Any perspective on this question would be very much appreciated!

Again, I’m so glad to have found this forum and hope to speak with many of you in the future. I love the Capri. My wife lives in constant fear that I’ll bring home a 3rd one :). I won’t rule it out!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Interchangeability of Parts Between Base-Trim & XR2
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:32:32 AM »

Welcome to the family.  They are addictive.  I bought a base model about three years ago expecting to part it out.  Got it running and loved it.  Then I bought an XR2 and loved itIf. Then bought another XR2.  Now I"m having to stop myself from buying more, no wife....lol  There is a lot of interchangeability.  The big difference is the base clutch is hydralic and the XR2 clutch is cable operated and of course the ECM. The transmissions are different to take the higher HP.  The main thing is they were built on the same line, so you can make a base model into an XR2, but it will take a while.  They swap our engines into Festiva's all time, so anything is possible.  If you FB, there is also a page there and most members are on both.

Good luck, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd