TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 1994 n/a starting issue  (Read 16839 times)

zoom-zoom

• 1994 capri and 1990 Reatta
1994 n/a starting issue
« on: October 27, 2019, 12:09:59 AM »

Car was parked outside for the Winter.  Ran fine when parked just not needed at the time.  Come Springtime it would crank great but not start...not even a little.  As I understand these cars dont run the fuel pump when the key is just turned on so I get no priming pump to listen for.  I disconnected the fuel line at the bottom of the fuel filter mounted on the firewall.  Cranked the engine but no fuel was reaching the filter.  Removed access door under rear seat and removed the fuel pump.  it appeared very rusty and crusty.  The fuel sock was disentigrated and nearly none existant.  Installed a new pump and sock.  buttoned it all up and tried to start the engine after filling the fuel tank about 3/4ths full.  It would crank as before but not even attempt to catch and start!  It got new plugs and wires when I put the new pump in. Also it has a new Battery, new Air Filter, new Coil and new MAF sensor. When trying to get it to fire I did notice a gurgling sound coming from the fuel tank when I let up on the key like the pump was burping.  Any ideas appreciated.  Thanks.

blueamber

Re: 1994 n/a starting issue
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 08:07:38 PM »

You didn't say if fuel is now getting out of the filter.  If not see if its getting to it, maybe filter got clogged with crap out of the tank...

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
Re: 1994 n/a starting issue
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 02:54:48 PM »

I would pull the fuel line off the rail and flush into bucket to be sure you have flow and avoid pushing debris into the fuel rail. Jumper the pins on the yellow plug hanging on the firewall. Turn on the key, but do to start to activate the fuel pump manually.  Be careful because it will shoot the gas out of the hose forcefully.
John