TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Wheel bearing question  (Read 19904 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Wheel bearing question
« on: September 12, 2019, 06:27:23 PM »

I recently was going to pull a driver's side axle from an XR2.  It was stable, maybe a little tight, but seemed fine. It has a bad transmission.  When I removed the axle nut and knocked it out, the disc was flopping all over the place.  I've always looked for a wobbly wheel to detect a bad bearing.  Apparently that doesn't work on our cars.  So how do you tell if you have a bad bearing, hopefully without disassembling it?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Wheel bearing question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:58:25 PM »

The axle nut holds the bearings together by keeping tension across the bearings. The bearing spacer adjusts the distance between the races and determines the preload.

If the thing fell loose when you pulled the axle, it was probably buggered, as the inboard race should be a press fit. A bad bearing run for a long time will usually wear away the hub where it's pressed on and will no longer be a press fit.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm describing it sufficiently
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:16:23 PM »

Are you saying the bad bearing can spin the race inside the hub wearing it away? That renders the hub useless right?
John

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »

The axle nut holds the bearings together by keeping tension across the bearings. The bearing spacer adjusts the distance between the races and determines the preload.

If the thing fell loose when you pulled the axle, it was probably buggered, as the inboard race should be a press fit. A bad bearing run for a long time will usually wear away the hub where it's pressed on and will no longer be a press fit.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm describing it sufficiently

That's what I assumed was going on.  I'm wondering how you know the bearing is going bad before it gets that bad.  That's the second one I've seen like that lately.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 11:12:12 AM »

Are you saying the bad bearing can spin the race inside the hub wearing it away? That renders the hub useless right?

Yes, that is a bad bearing, really bad bearing....lol  It seems pretty common for this to happen to Capris, Festivas and I suppose other Mazda based cars.  How do you know to change the bearing before it ruins the hub?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 09:20:16 PM »

It would make a lot of noise and probably squeak pretty bad from overheating, it's unlikely to be something you just wouldn't notice.
I think a lot of the ones that go this bad are ignored or repairs refused because the labour involved with doing them, it's not like modern stuff where you can swap out a hub assembly in an hour
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »

Okay  There is an XR2 in the local PAP with a bad hub, bad transmission and bad engine.  I'd say the PO wasn't much on maintainance....lol

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd