TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Short nose long nose crankshaft interchangeability?  (Read 50033 times)

bratboy_y2k

• cars
Short nose long nose crankshaft interchangeability?
« on: August 07, 2019, 03:13:11 AM »

Hey folks, it looks like I'll be getting a mazda 323 turbo engine and it ofcourse will have the short nose crank. Does anybody know if a Miata 1.6 crank will swap with the 323 Turbo crank? I'd like to get the Assurance of a long nose crank. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:18:22 PM by bratboy_y2k »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Short nose long nose crankshaft interchangeability?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »

Interesting idea.

Jack Byrd

bratboy_y2k

• cars
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »

Apparently they are direct fit and 91 onwards. I think it's a good idea for that extra insurance

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 09:45:12 PM »

Yes, the larger crank will fit any of the blocks. However the whole front end of the crank is different. You will need a new oil pump to fit the large nose crank. You will need the timing belt cog, the backing plate, and the harmonic balancer, and the various little spacers and shims that go with it. None of these parts interchange and it ends up being $$$ to source all these parts. It can be done, it has been done.

I need to do this with the 1.8L engine in the GTXR2, it is easier/cheaper for me to find a whole later model engine than it is to source all the individual parts. 1.6L has it a bit easier because of how many 1.6 were scrapped in favor of going to the 1.8L in the Miata
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

bratboy_y2k

• cars
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 01:43:30 AM »

I'm currently looking at a 1.6 turbo out of a 323 gtx. I really like the idea of having the insurance policy of a long nose crank. There are enough horror stories out there that I don't want to have to have it be an issue. The Crux of the situation is I found an MSM turbo engine that I might might might be able to get cheap. I tried to get information on that engine but I had a lot of headaches with the people on the Miata PMS forum. I tried to explain it's a cost, effort, ouput thing which is why I'm looking at it. The MSM with decent exhaust, and upgraded Inlet puts out 220 horsepower which would be perfect for a Festiva but all I mostly got were a lot of unhelpful comments. At least when I'm a dick in a forum i explain myself and why, and I don't assume anything.

Does anybody know if I megasquirt diypnp will work with it?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:06:48 PM by bratboy_y2k »

bratboy_y2k

• cars
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 03:32:21 AM »

Hey rocket are you getting  my private messages?