TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Cutting out  (Read 20689 times)

tkxr2

• 92 xr2
Cutting out
« on: July 16, 2019, 06:10:01 PM »

I am having a problem where everytime I push on The gas there is a solid 3 second dead spot. When I change gear it just stops and after 3 seconds or so it kicks in and pulls good. It's the same thing after I change every gear or slow down and push on the gas. New fuel filter and spark plugs/wires.any ideas?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Cutting out
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:34 PM »

Did it start doing this after you worked on the car?

How does the car idle?
It could be a vacuum leak somewhere.
Also check to make sure the VAF door moves freely
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

tkxr2

• 92 xr2
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 06:30:05 AM »

It idles fine and pulls hard once it kicks in. It happend while driving home.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:10:33 AM »

Did it start doing this after you worked on the car?

How does the car idle?
It could be a vacuum leak somewhere.
Also check to make sure the VAF door moves freely

Interesting comment.  I installed new wires, plugs, cap and rotor and when I started it, it had stumble right off idle.  Disappeared after I drove it a little, had me worried.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

tkxr2

• 92 xr2
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »

I found a little corrosion on the distributor cap lead, I cleaned it off and its an improvement but I am still having problems. I have an hour drive to work everyday (south florida)  and in the mornings it drives fine but about 30 minuets into my drive home I starts giving me problems. it starts sputtering on acceleration and soon after, it gets to the point where if I give it any gas above 2k rmp it starts sputtering and cutting out to the point where it is almost not drivable. It always happens around the same spot on my way home and it has to do with the heat. for example it started sputtering a little around the usual spot but I got hit with a rain storm (which lowered the temp) and it went away. when I first start the car it idles around 2k but settles down soon after. I have noticed on hot days when I push the clutch in to come to a stop, my idle dips down a bit low and recovers.my next step is replacing the cap and rotor?  unless you guys have another idea? ignition module maybe? -thanks
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:46:14 PM by tkxr2 »