TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Should I buy?  (Read 4556 times)

li-bri

• Not a Capri, yet.
Should I buy?
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:51:59 AM »

1991 N/A Capri, Auto, has HT, 49k original miles, battery light is on, says it needs an alternator, ~$1400.  Red w/black int. Good deal? OK as a daily driver for the summer?

Thoughts? Would be my first Capri.

-Brian

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »

Welcome, seems like a good deal.  What condition is the soft-top in?  Might be better to have the alternator rebuilt if you can.  Aftermarket ones can be a problem and regularly have an incorrect pulley which causes belt problems.  It is a very fun car, economical and based on a Mazda 323, so parts aren't that big a problem.  I have an XR2 that came from Long Island, it was a nice trip back to NC

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

li-bri

• Not a Capri, yet.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »

Thanks, Jack.

He says the soft-top has a little life left but says it leaks a little so it'll have to replaced soon. The car does come w/a hard-top too.  He has the original wheels and tires too.

I would attach some pics but I cannot see how to that here.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »

These cars commonly leak at the front corners unfortunately.  There are adjustments that can be made.  My '91 XR2 had the original top on it last year when I bought it.  There was a rip over the passenger about 4 inches long and one near the base on the passenger side about 9 inches long and didn't leak.....lol  3M makes a weatherstrip conditioner available on Amazon which seems to soften it and make the weatherstrip work better.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »

Make sure the battery light does not mean the alt belt is missing, it drives the water pump also, so danger of past overheating if missing??  49k miles with a had top is a plus, auto trans are a little weak, agree to getting the alt rebuilt if that is the issue, or get a used one... these are fun cars when they are working...