TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Not getting fuel  (Read 4332 times)

rkw958

• 91 Capri
Not getting fuel
« on: July 06, 2019, 10:28:04 AM »

I just bought a 91 Capri, when I looked at it it started right up. The guy agreed to tow it to my house because it had no brakes (already figured that out). Problem is he ran it out of gas putting it on trailer. I have put 2 gallons in but it will not start now. I can hear, or at least think I can hear the fuel pump running. Before I start pulling hoses off to see where fuel is getting stopped is there anything that could cause this outside a plugged filter or fuel pump.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Not getting fuel
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 01:46:56 AM »

A note on the fuel pump - it will not prime with key-on like most cars. The pump only runs when the VAF is open, so only when the engine is cranking/running. It's a "safety" feature

There's a rollover safety switch in the trunk, on the left side of the donut on the frame rail. Sometimes big bumps or potholes can trigger it. If it needs to be pushed back in, it was cutting power to the pump.

The fuel filter is right on the firewall, easy to get to & replace.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rkw958

• 91 Capri
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »

Pushed button fired right up.

So that button in the trunk only has two positions, In or out? Why is it there? So I know for the future. Can I bypass it so it doesn't happen when my grl is driving it.

Thanks rocket

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »

It usually does not false trigger. Your hauler might have popped it by getting it on/off the trailer if it was rough enough.

It pops up when the car experiences enough shock, easy enough to reset. It's there to cut fuel in case the car is in an accident so there isnt a fire. Not really wise to bypass it. All cars have some version of that switch but each manufacturer has a different system.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"