TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: few random questions  (Read 4168 times)

tkxr2

• 92 xr2
few random questions
« on: May 31, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »

1. both headlights go up one does not go down....replace or easy fix?
2. my gas gauge is hanging like a dead fish is it better to get a new cluster ? (do later gauge clusters with the actual temps plug in and work with the older xr2s)
3. what is the red button in the trunk?
4.anybody use premium gas?
-thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: few random questions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »

1. It's usually a dirty rotary switch inside the motor that causes issues. Removing the motor, dis-assembling the switch and cleaning / re-greasing it usually fixes the issue

2. The newer clusters just have High-Low, the older models have the numbers. The gauges are not very accurate to begin with. Test the connector at the fuel pump and see if the sender is putting out the proper signal. I had a gauge cluster back in the day that had a cold solder joint on the gas gauge that caused malfunction.

3. Red button in the trunk is the inertial fuel cutoff switch. If your car is in an accident it will trip to cut power to the pump.

4. I think the XR2 is rated to use 87 octane, I used to use premium in mine, but I was running higher boost. I believe I run mid-grade in my beater XR2
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

tkxr2

• 92 xr2
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 06:14:53 PM »

Hmmmm it's a 92 does that mean it's not the original cluster? Thank you for the info!!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 06:44:22 PM »

I think they switched over in 92 some time. I don't know the exact cutoff date, I'm not sure if it's ever been figured out.
If the car went in for service and part of or the whole cluster needed replacing, you would end up with the newer style gauge.
I'll go out on a limb and say that the numbered gauges were so inaccurate that they moved to the High-Low style
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"