TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: What holds the shifter up?  (Read 3291 times)

bhazard

What holds the shifter up?
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »

Driving home last night and I go for a gear and the shifter is like 3 or 4 inches lower than it should be. I manage to make it home holding the thing up and look under and its sitting on the exhaust.

Little closer looking and I notice a flathead screw going through a hole drilled into the linkage and then a hole drilled into the plate on the floor. I took the screw out and threaded it the other way around, through the floor first and then into the linkage. Looks like one of the PO's went through this in the past and decided to ghetto rig it. I think a nut and bolt or two would have worked better.

So what actually holds the thing up... properly?
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

khrys771

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »

there is a nice rubber mount on the linkage that the shifter ball rides in, and when that mount goes bad, the shifter will drop out of the hole.

kind of a bad design on mazda's part, cause its the design of the bf chassis 323. why they designed it like that, i will never know.

but if this ever happens to joe(rci) i want to see if we could mod up a civic/integra stabilizer bar. which uses a 2 bolt plate to hold the shifter in the stabilizer bar. then a 2 bolt mount at the back of the stabilizer and then the trans mounting point.

Mort

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »

Happened to me too.  Seems like a common issue with the Capri.  I bought a replacement from a place that someone suggested on this site.

tellerx

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

Hey so where can i get one of those shifter mounts just bought a capri with that problem