TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Has there ever been an attempt for a V8?  (Read 9078 times)

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
Has there ever been an attempt for a V8?
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »

I know LS swaps are over played and everything, but the roar of a V8 still calls to me. I've seen people make LS4 swap kits for FWD applications like our Capri's, that come with the transmission from an Impala SS or similar model. I've got a few questions: Is it even possible, and how many things in the engine bay would have to be moved around. I can't wait to see the discussion below on this one haha

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Has there ever been an attempt for a V8?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 08:01:04 AM »

The strut towers are too close together, the FWD LS is a very wide package, you could make a really wide Capri.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:37:23 AM »

I can't even imagine a wide body capri, might be a fun project one day lol

chukT

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »

With a welder, tubing bender, skills and imagination.........

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »

FWD V8 would be nearly impossible I think. Everything's just too wide. The one feasible option might be the Northstar V8. Look up the TOYSTAR, it's a Toyota MR2 with a northstar swap.
The Mazda KL v6 is a fairly compact package and *just* barely fits into the engine bay.

The first parts car I bought was a wrecked Capri, the owner had bought it to swap a 5.0 or similar V8 into it with supporting RWD chassis mods, but decided it was far too much work.
As always with unlimited time, money, and fabrication skills just about anything is possible. Someone's done a mopar Hellcat Miata already.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »

You couldn't pay me to attempt a v8 swap in a Capri...LOL
Gm v8 engines are V90s which is too wide for the Capri's short engine bay. I also already measured a FWD Northstar setup and found that the engine with its' rear cylinder bank pushed back to the firewall, the front  cylinder bank/exhaust manifold would be out to the bumper and the length of the engine with tranny was about 6 inches too long.

The only v8 that I might consider would be the 3.4L V8 from the late nineties Taurus SHO mated to a 5 speed tranny from the Ford Contour SVT or 3.0L Mazda6.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 10:04:10 PM »

I was thinking of that SHO V8. It's a Yamaha engine, IIRC. They had some issues but would probably be the best candidate for fitment. I think they are pretty rare nowadays though
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 07:55:53 AM »

An SHO V8, I didn't even think of that. And it's a Ford engine too, so I can have a Ford car with a Ford engine lol. This all sounds like a great idea

Skunkwrkz

• 84' Porsche 928, 88' RX7 V8, 95 M3, 02 Celica GTS
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »

I'd be up for the 1st and 2nd gen SHO V6 coupled to the 5spd. There is much more aftermarket support for the Yamaha Built V-6 engine that redlined at 7,000 RPM, achieved 0-60 in 6.6 sec in stock trim and was cool looking enough to make an engine table out of the intake manifold.

The 3rd gen (Which I owned at one point) was like comparing the original 240Z to the Digital dash " Ghettofabulous" Z31 300ZX of the mid to late 80's. The V8 did have heads from Yamaha and block from Cosworth but it only came in "slush-o-matic" (yes, I know you can swap in the Contour 5spd but....) Separation of the "bang sticks" from its sprocket was implicated in a growing number of engine failures, at around 50,000 miles This problem could be rectified by having the camshafts welded however.

No comparison.