TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Unusual problem?  (Read 4654 times)

chukT

Unusual problem?
« on: May 04, 2019, 11:41:27 PM »

I'm fixing up a 91 that I bought not running. When I fixed the door switches for the courtesy (dome) light, I found that the ignition is on, kind of, when the key is in the ignition switch but in the off and lock position, and the dome light is on.

To explain it another way, if the engine is running and the door is open, when you turn the ignition off, the engine continues to run until you remove the key from the switch or close the door.

There is also a warning chime that sounds constantly when the car is running. Everything else seems to work properly.

I can hear a relay "click" when the door is open and the key is inserted into the ignition switch. Think that relay may be stuck open?

Any ideas what to check?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Unusual problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »

Crazy, I want to follow this.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 03:12:06 PM »

It sounds like there is a crossed wire somewhere. Like if someone crossed the Illumination wire with the Switched Power wire in the radio harness (if it has aftermarket radio) that will backfeed the whole ignition circuit any time the lights are on. If you pull the radio & disconnect the harness does that still happen?

Any other shoddy looking wiring hanging about?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chukT

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 07:02:10 PM »

Wiring is all nice. It did have an aftermarket stereo, but I rewired in the factory plugs for a stock setup.

It doesn't matter if the lights are on or not, same problem.

I'll pop the radio out and see if anything changes, easy enuff to do.

I studied the entire factory electrical troubleshooting manual. There is a relay that connects the key reminder, and dome light circuit.

#C276 ignition key relay.

I'm hoping that's the problem. I just got to get to it.

chukT

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »

Got an update.

The ignition key relay is not accessible without removing the entire dash assembly. I tried for a while, then gave up and went another direction.

I pulled the radio and unplugged it, no change.

I unhooked the wire for the key minder, and pulled the timer-buzzer.  Testing like this the ignition works properly regardless if the dome light is on or not. But, there is a different chime. Now when the key is in the ACC position I get a "ding ding ding ding" chime that doesn't quit.

When is the ding ding chime supposed to happen?

I think I'll try adding a ground to the steering column for my next test.