TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Alternator Replacement  (Read 5247 times)

LGCapri

• 1992 Purple Capri XR2
Alternator Replacement
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:51:06 PM »

I finally got my Capri fixed, the problem before was that there was burnt rubber in the pulley tracks. I'm glad that I had a warm spring break to use my Capri with the top down, but alas my alternator belt has gone again.w I believe that I have an alternator problem because the belt would squeal when any amount of electrical draw was put on the system. Lights, heating, blinkers, etc. Can anyone suggest a new alternator?

terrymetal

• 1992 Mercury Capri Convertible, 1979 Ford Ranchero
Re: Alternator Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:31:50 PM »

Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be a loose alternator belt. They are a pain to get tight!!  I used a long pry bar and wedged it against the bracket. It only needs about a half an inch deflection so it gets pretty tight and charges better and does not squeal. Good luck with it!  Terry

JJ

Re: Alternator Replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 11:28:51 PM »

yeah, i go with the next size belt down which is like 1/2" shorter. it adjusts better. the other thing is if the pulley offset is wrong the belt is misaligned, it will keep breaking belts.